Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that would benefit from modern remake

remakes are useless and pointless.
if the game is extremely old it's going to have barebone graphics, and we grew fond of them. giving them just a new dress would not only destroy the magic but make us notice how often interfaces were utterly terrible and games itself were basic, simplicistic.
i want *improved* versions of some old game i loved. after all i played them already, now i want more. exactly: more. more rules, more options, more variables, more opportunities. raping its rules like in the transition from x-com to xcom is not more, it's a tragedy.

millennium -> deuteros -> reunion -> imperium galactica -> where's the next?

and now for the sinful confession: i'd like a new technocop. the game was crap enough it'd be hard a "modernization" could ruin it more than it actually already was, but i loved it anyway.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll second Betrayal at Krondor - just an update to the 3D engine so when stretched on a modern monitor it doesn't look like one big green horror. Leave everything else alone.

Not that they would be better, but it may be interesting to see them "redone" or explored further. A lot of the C64 games: Adventure Construction Set/Rivers of Light, Phantasie Series, and maybe a Wizard's Crown game or two. Eh, I'm sure I'd regret the remakes and probably complain about them, but I think they had somewhat interesting locations, themes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
EDIT: Since the post prior to this one was deleted, I thought I'd use the space.

In my opinion there are very few games that are worth a remake anymore. Many of the ones I wanted to be remade (plus a few more that I didn't) either already have their remakes out, or they're due out soon. Likewise, many games I felt are worth a remake are mostly so because of nostalgia.

Many have mentioned the Crusader games, and in the last thread of this topic I said that it was not a good idea because no one would get it right. At least now there's a game out there that comes close - Broforce.

Most remakes I'd like to see would mostly be for interface and graphical updates, but there's also another group of games that were made between 1997-2001 that is tricky to get to work nowadays. I'd say THOSE are the ones I want remade the most.

At the top in that group is a game called Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase - a digital board game best described as Monopoly on a grand scale.

Another high-ranking game is Blood - if only to get a "Classic Redux" treatment like Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior have.

If someone could remake those two, I'm good.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Less remakes and more re-attempts, but I'd like to see another shot at the MegaTraveller & Crescent Hawks games. I like the sci-fi rpg settings from that era and the crpg addicts recent go through MegaTraveller 1 made me think how interesting it would be if someone managed to do it right.

Most RTSes would benefit. Many have problems with pathfinding, or UI, or framerates, that are relatively easy to fix. Particularly UI could be bad in old games.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Gozma

Arcane
Original Mechwarrior. An actiony game in 1990 proto-3D is beyond even my old game taste, right next to CGA games. I guess Armored Core is basically that already really but a pretty simple strategic layer of open world Pirates!/Elite/Tycoon "run a small mercenary company" in the (old - I'm sure they've ruined it by now) Battletech universe would be great.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Original Mechwarrior. An actiony game in 1990 proto-3D is beyond even my old game taste, right next to CGA games. I guess Armored Core is basically that already really but a pretty simple strategic layer of open world Pirates!/Elite/Tycoon "run a small mercenary company" in the (old - I'm sure they've ruined it by now) Battletech universe would be great.

Mechwarrior is a good and obvious choice(MW:O, barf). On that same note, Mech Commander with modern graphics would be amazing. Something like Wargame series, but with Mechs, the RPG elements, and story. Maybe even change it up and have a "Grand Campaign", risk style, with a map of the Inner Sphere, then massive battles.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
The first Deus Ex would greatly benefit from a remake as with improved visuals, body models, world geometry and better sound design (every time I play that game the footstep sounds rape my ears), but with the original gameplay and voice acting intact.

A user named cat

Deus Ex is perfect as is, leave it alone. The dated look, models and design go perfect with the music and atmosphere. Updating the engine or changing the visuals would ruin the entire feel of the game. About as bad as dumbasses mucking with Morrowind by removing the fog so they can see miles into the distance, which in turn ruins the entire atmosphere of the mysterious world while exploring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom