Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you loved back in the day but will never ever play again

Beastro

Arcane
Can really think of much I have replayed that meet that criteria but one: Treasures of the Deep.

I loved renting that game and could never find it to buy, but you fight the camera more than anything else in the game. In levels like the flooded Aztec ruins which shit falling from the ceiling, often out of view, or you running into something because your submersible turns a good while before the camera follows (Or use first person view which is like looking through a straw), left me exhausted after every mission - and the forth mission is an abyssal one which requires a deep diving vehicle, which you might not be able to afford even the basic one to do, so that means replaying the previous missions to earn more money (and if you're doing that you might as well go for the best one).

I reached that part replaying the game about two years ago and couldn't keep going.

Any classic Final Fantasy. I can no longer tolerate ATB combat.

The main problem for me is lack of challenge. I found the optional dungeon they added in the GBA version of FFIII interesting because it was actually challenging in places and marked jump in difficulty over the rest of the game, though nothing else came close to to the first dragon which forced me to play defensively having two of my guys dedicating to healing and reviving almost as if it was a Western RPG.

Any game which is wholly superseded by a sequel. I played the shit out of every Civ iteration* but if I'm going to fire one up today it'll be 4:BtS (or a mod thereof). Likewise AoE when AoE2 is available, GTA3 when you could be playing Vice City etc. Pretty much anything where the fundamental gameplay doesn't change too much between iterations and there's no story or C&C to explore.

* I pretend 5 and 6 don't exit.

I agree with Civ, but with GTA the older games are fun to replay for the different missions and different cities to go through.

I ran into that the most after playing Vice City to death and got absolutely sick of the Miami setting.

Even the first game has an alternate control option, but for some unfathomable reason it's hidden behind the Extra Options menu which is accessed by holding down the shoulder buttons while in the regular menu. I only found out about this when I had almost finished the game :argh:.

Thx for the tip. Been awhile since I played with that style of controls, and while it wasn't a huge bother at times for me, it might be now. I plan on replaying SH1 eventually.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Platformers. Tried a couple of the recent lauded ones, didn't hold my interest for long. Just don't care anymore.

deama

Prophet
Back in the day, I replayed fable the lost chapters 21 times (sometimes with mods); definitely never playing that again.

Probably never gonna play Jade Empire.

Never gonna play legacy of kain games ever again, gameplay is shite, easier to just watch the movies on youtube.

Never gonna play borderlands 1/2 anymore, abilities/skills are pretty boring, and I can't remember the guns well either.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Back in the day, I replayed fable the lost chapters 21 times (sometimes with mods); definitely never playing that again.

Funny, I played Fable: The Lost Chapters once as it was lent to me by a friend. Tried it out and kind of liked it. Nice mix in that game, even thought I rarely if ever play console type games. I went back and played it a second time a few years later and felt like I was playing a different game. There was about half the game that I didn't even realize was there.

deama

Prophet

Funny, I played Fable: The Lost Chapters once as it was lent to me by a friend. Tried it out and kind of liked it. Nice mix in that game, even thought I rarely if ever play console type games. I went back and played it a second time a few years later and felt like I was playing a different game. There was about half the game that I didn't even realize was there.
Yeah, it was similiar for me.
I remember playing it for like the 5th time and finding out some town/village I never saw before.
Sometimes I'd just try and speedrun it.
I came back to it for nostalgia a couple of years ago, but only played like 10 minutes; that's when I realised I played it so much that I would never be able to play it again...

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Mafia 1

The graphics are abhorrent nowadays, just can't take the story seriously with all that HOPW close-ups staring down into your soul. And the gameplay? Really fucking clunky, enemies with aimbots and checkpoints instead of quick saves. Just cheap.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I remember enjoying it when I tried it at my friend's house in 2005 or so (I wasn't that interested in RPGs back then). Played it again in 2008 and kinda liked it, but now I'm not that interested in touching it again, since there's not much to see after your first playthrough apart from trying to play as another type of character.

Morkar Left

Wing Commander 1,2 and Privateer. The graphics aged so horribly that I consider it unplayable for a space sim today.
Europa Universalis 3. Great concept and for the first several hours I had lots of fun. But after the complexitiy weared off and I realized how sluggish progress is I don't have a desire to play any EU again.
Out of my head I can't think of other games I wouldn't touch anymore today.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Mafia 1

The graphics are abhorrent nowadays, just can't take the story seriously with all that HOPW close-ups staring down into your soul. And the gameplay? Really fucking clunky, enemies with aimbots and checkpoints instead of quick saves. Just cheap.
I don't get this at all. The shootouts were the highlight of the game, tense and pretty lethal but never unfair, and they've only gotten better with age thanks to every single game having a boring cover system nowadays. I also think the graphics still look pretty.

The game does have some notable flaws for sure (like the empty city that's nothing but a backdrop for pointless driving sections), but those flaws aren't really any worse today than they were in 2002.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I remember enjoying it when I tried it at my friend's house in 2005 or so (I wasn't that interested in RPGs back then). Played it again in 2008 and kinda liked it, but now I'm not that interested in touching it again, since there's not much to see after your first playthrough apart from trying to play as another type of character.
I thought the same thing, until I found the whorehouse, and the challenge to sleep with all the girls.

Joonix

Novice
The old snes side-scrolling beatem-ups/shooters; Sunset Riders, Double Dragon, Final Fight. Good old days when my dad would actually join in for some coop.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Old flight simulators. It's amazing how poorly that kind of gameplay has aged, or maybe how much less futzing for hours to get off the ground I will tolerate.

And back then it was normal to have a joystick around. Now I would have to actually get up off my ass and go searching to find where I put mine.

Cromlech

Barely Literate
Baldur's Gate. Admittedly, I never considered it a masterpiece, but it drew me in because it did exactly what I wanted (low-level D&D setting, beautifully rendered 2d scenarios, isometric, possibility to go solo for extra challenge, etc.). I tried to replay it, but I can't get over just how utterly bland all of it is. It tries to pull you in with prettiness, like it's offering you candy, but that also counts against it.

JRPGs, for the reason Felipe Pepe mentioned. I can't stand random encounters anymore, unless I can fast forward them. That feature alone makes the games bearable. You can also use it to skip the fanfic tier, emo dialogue. So this is not a full entry, as I'm willing to play them again under certain conditions, namely if they have interesting mods and I'm able to blaze through the boring parts.

Any game that requires above a certain amount of mechanical skill, unless it's open world and I can have fun regardless(Terraria, Mount & Blade). I don't care about beating games anymore, or learning a skill that I can't use outside a particular game. I'm getting old, my loss.

Falksi

Arcane
The old snes side-scrolling beatem-ups/shooters; Sunset Riders, Double Dragon, Final Fight. Good old days when my dad would actually join in for some coop.

Bizarrely they are 3 games I can quite easily return to, and often do. Me & a few of the lads still have the odd old school gaming night, and games like that are ideal for a quick blast & playing in a group. Even then I enjoy playing them on my tod too. Far easier to have a quick blast on said games than most modern games.

Baldurs Gate 2 is one that I can't play anymore sadly. The game mechanics are just too archaic, and (dons tin hat in) after playing Dragon Age Origins there were just too many positive moves forward which I can't move back from now.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
SHMUP? As in on-rails blasting? Yeah, this was never really a great genre. It's be like Pacman clones still living on as its own genre today. Fun? Good? Enjoyable? Sure, but never a genre brimming with potential like RPGs.
:lol:

Ash vs Jasede, lmao, good show. Protip: if you think someone's retarded, search their old posts for shmupbashing. Dumbfucks like this are the reason euroshmups will always exist

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Games age even worse than comedy. And the classics that I loved back in the day are usually not great to play over and over. Stuff like BG2 I could replay a few times but mostly they are a one time thing for me.

bionicman

Liturgist
Man... back in the day I would come back home from work and launch twitcher 3 on my PC, but technology has progressed so much I can't look at it anymore, I mean... I'm not a graphics whore, but that is way too few pixels for my gamer eyes!

kangaxx

Arbiter
Games age even worse than comedy. And the classics that I loved back in the day are usually not great to play over and over. Stuff like BG2 I could replay a few times but mostly they are a one time thing for me.
I cannot agree with this statement at all... mostly I find myself replaying good old titles. The majority of modern games I end up refunding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom