Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with bad artstyle

Nathir

Liturgist
Hate whatever has glowy teal/purple stuff that is supposed to be creepy, mysterious, evil or whatever. Hate whatever has cartoony skeletons with glowing eyes. So most modern western ''stylized'' and cartoony games. Say what you will about Japan but atleast they still produce visually unique games that look amazing. Dark Souls franchise, Persona 5, Arc Sys new style, even terrible Nintendo games have their own distinct look. In comparison the western devs are just copying nu-Warcraft or Overwatch style and failing terribly at it. The only thing that looks good are AAA games who go for fotorealistic graphics, which at this point all look the same to me.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Anime
Minecraft
The Witness
Clash of Clans
Dungeon Keeper 2014
Run of the mill RPG Maker games
Run of the mill Unity games
The Monkey Island Remaster: uglified to the max but remastered music and the added voice acting are great, use this for a monocled remastered experience
The Telltale MI games
Day of the Tentacle Remaster: the enhanced audio is very nice but the new graphics look like a crappy flash game, they are optional though
Full Throttle Remaster: see above, sadly you still get to see the new art in the main menu
Simon the Sorcerer 3D
Fallout 3
LSL: Box Office Bust
Knack
The new Zelda
Modern id games
UT3
Gears of War
The Halo Series
Lula 3D
Comedy Night
The new Shadow Warrior games
ZAR
Dusk
Bioshock Infinite
Radical Heights
Depth Dwellers
Damage Incorporated
Unreal 2
Spore
3D Ballz

Last edited:

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Anything that looks Warcraft 3\Age of Wonders 3\HoMM5-ish. Don't know how to call it, but it just looks like plastic to me. I miss the days of Disciples 1\2, Age of Wonders 1\2, HoMM 2\3, Fallout. Those games were just beautiful to look at, and still are in my opinion.

mbv123

Arbiter

What's wrong with Civ 4?
Must be a typo. What he really meant was this -
K7eowjJ.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well civ 6 obviously butt ugly as well. However, art style is Civ 6's least problem, and civ 4's biggest.
My gripe is that they departed from the decidedly abstract representation of the world in previous installments and instead tried to go for a realistic look. They failed imo: The rectangular rivers, single tile hills and perfectly straight shorelines just look awkward. And no one can possibly look at a late game map cluttered in (rail)roads and tell me with a straight face that this doesn't look ugly as fuck.
Another thing I grew to hate are the comical leaders and their stupid facial expressions.
That being said, Civ4 BTS remains the best game I ever played and I probably clocked in more hours on it than on all other games combined.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
WoW's pseudo-Korean art style is turbo shit. Even the Korean's don't use this style anymore. Unfortunately there are a lot of Korean artists working in western studios which is why the huge pauldrons and gauntlets got infected in so many games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well civ 6 obviously butt ugly as well. However, art style is Civ 6's least problem, and civ 4's biggest.
My gripe is that they departed from the decidedly abstract representation of the world in previous installments and instead tried to go for a realistic look. They failed imo: The rectangular rivers, single tile hills and perfectly straight shorelines just look awkward. And no one can possibly look at a late game map cluttered in (rail)roads and tell me with a straight face that this doesn't look ugly as fuck.
Another thing I grew to hate are the comical leaders and their stupid facial expressions.
That being said, Civ4 BTS remains the best game I ever played and I probably clocked in more hours on it than on all other games combined.

I didn't like the blue interface color when I first got Civ 4, but got used to it. The map I didn't really mind. And while you are right about the late game map (but this problem existed since Civ 1) - they saw it as well and said they didn't like it, but their solution was to make roads and rails super rare and annoying to build, which threw out the baby with the bath water.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Cartoony artstyle is ok.

it's 3D cartoony artstyle that I can't stand, Beautiful real 2D>>>>>Shit pretend 2D (often with cell shading)

Generic-Giant-Spider

I have an irrational hatred for anime, however I did stomach through Final Fantasy Tactics because I quite liked the story. Cartoonish stuff can either look supremely gay or just awful in many cases. Warcraft, particularly since Warcraft 3 and beyond is the poster child of this. Boots in those games look like cement blocks. With that said, I think the cartoony style of Warcraft 2 is pretty cool and more aesthetically pleasing and another cartoonish game I heavily enjoy sinking hours into is Darkest Dungeon which has an art style that helps it stand out.

I hate the new age of pixelated graphics since most games I associate them with are dogshit and strike me more as laziness and generic with how many of them have infested the virtual world.

I tend to favour more serious, realistic settings or at least ones that are depicted as such. Big glowing dildo-swords with super awesome names were cool when I was 10. Nowadays, just give me a fucking claymore.

Max Stats

Liturgist
The only "artstyle" that I can really think of offhand is the early 3d shit, particularly 3d versions of games that were previously beautiful 2d sprites. so like 90% of the n64 games.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I seriously hate this kind of style (notice also the building in the back...it's not just characters :/)
maxresdefault.jpg

I'd take the weebest, most childish and fucked up animu over this :/

Heretic

Cipher
The single worst art style for me must have been the Syndicate FPS by Starbreeze/EA. I had to quit after 30 minutes because of all the lens flare and bloom effects.

No other game before or after made me quit because of the art style.

sullynathan

Arcane
I seriously hate this kind of style (notice also the building in the back...it's not just characters :/)
maxresdefault.jpg

I'd take the weebest, most childish and fucked up animu over this :/
yea this artstyle just looks super generic but it's hard to pin point what to call it. Every generic rpg/fantasy game looks like this.

DemonKing

Arcane
Anything with an Anime aesthetic.

Minecraft/Terraria look horrible to me but my kids love it.

Big Wrangle

Counter Strike has lost any sense of artistic consistency since the introduction of weapon skins.

McPlusle

Savant
Got reminded of Danganronpa in another thread. I can't think of a single art asset in the entire series that doesn't make me gag.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Most Western developed games are pretty generic or downright ugly, although the generic moe animu look of Nippon is as insufferable. Still, nips have a better knack for aesthetics overall.

Egosphere

Arcane
Blizzard.

They started slowly sliding towards their current style with Warcraft 3. Simplified geometry, garish colour palette and saturated colours etc. WoW, Diablo 3, OW etc. all followed that template

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom