Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming Crisises

Did you had any?

I had a serious crysis in 2000-2011 when almost dropped new games and focused on old, good ones.

Reasons? I felt tired of PC hardware mindless arm race, action games became too plot-focused (I hated e.g. Deus Ex) and cut-scene heavy, I was 'gamey' gamer to the bone. Only games I were interested were for PS2 and I couldn't afford it.

I made this for for I'm feeling like I'm the same point as 16 years ago now. Carefully choose that games from gap period that I missed , some of there where GREAT like SMT or Drakengard that I consider know my private canon as I've done years ago with Quake, Street Fighter, C&C or Mortal Kombat franchises but know I'm feeling it's over. I have tones of solid games to play but nothing groundbreaking, only games I'm waiting for is Persona 5 (buying PS3 for that) and Nier: Automata (cannot afford of PS4 just for one gaem). It's not like I'm bored with games but that feeling there's almost no hope for 10/10 games is depressing. And I've got the second time feeling that gaming is not longer for me, I'm not the target of all these PRbulshittyyoutubeLetsplayDLCTeraflopsBattlepressbutton2winMMOhelthregencheckpointSteamspyingyoursexualife thinganymore and only thing that's left is whining about it on forum full of the same, jaded venomous people that could only find peace in reviving the glory of past days.

pippin

From 2003/4 to 2012.
I sincerely lost interest in most if not all games, even the ones I liked. In retrospective it was good, I missed most of the popamole being released between those years. GOG brought me back because I discovered I could play Thief and other games I liked thanks to them. I didn't trusted Steam at all, in fact I only started buying games on Steam in like 2014. I mostly survived on old DOS games until the resurgence of kickstarted crpgs.

Astral Rag

Arcane
You needed gog for that?
63901108.jpg

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
It's not like I'm bored with games but that feeling there's almost no hope for 10/10 games is depressing. And I've got the second time feeling that gaming is not longer for me.
Remember that time, when you were a kid and waiting for school end so you can just run home to play your favorite games until midnights?

Yeah those times have gone.

Gaming is like chasing the dragon that is called your first best game, you always try to reach that feeling but no matter what you do, you won't reach it.

Won't stop you though and you will still keep chasing it until you die. Just like the rest of us.

mastroego

Arcane
The excitement we felt when we were 15 cannot be experienced again, but I feel like I *would* have fun with a great game, and I did, a few times in recent years.
Right now it's just that when I have 2 hours of spare time, I rarely feel like playing, as of late.

It feels like something else to CRAM into that tight slot, instead of relaxing, you know what I mean?
A lot of other stuff required my attention in the last year, and even though I *did* get free time enough to play, it rarely felt like the thing to do (or to ADD).

So much easier to just post a few random comments on the net, browse things, watch a series or something like that.
OR play a popamole, if a decent one is available. I might pick up the next Tomb Raider, for instance.
But I plan to return to Codexian games too.

Mustawd

I stopped playing completely in 2003-4ish. Found the codex in 2010...read and lurked until I registered in 2015. Now I've been playing all the games I could never afford to due to money or a modern system. I either play old games (like Age of wonders 1 right now) or I play indie games (like Halfway/Voidspire Tactics/Telepath Tactics/SiTS).

Mustawd

More or less my arc. Except I do not dislike the occasional popamole.

Yeah, I'll play the occasional popamole game. But my laptop is from 2012, so most popamole games I'll play are old popamole games. Like Half life 2 or all the old COD games. Which I have already played and enjoyed.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I played exclusively indie platformers for about 2 years, in like 2011-12. Something about the simplicity of them I guess. Couldn't get hooked up on anything else.

That, and I have a mini-crisis every time I complete an RPG. I can't even touch any game for a couple of weeks. Only with RPGs, probably because they're so time consuming. Just need to get it out of my system.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Since game developers became more concerned with graphix and how things looked instead of how they play, I lost most of the interest, I'm not trying to be an edgelord claiming the old games were only wonderful games and all that is released these days is crap but gameplay homogenization (or you play open world games filled with terrible filler, or play another version of counterstrike with a reskin, or watch cinematic games that are mostly just cutscenes with an overrated plot regurgitated from stolen material from better stories ) killed most of my interest and the wait for years for the odd kickstarter project is tiresome.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The kickstarter stuff burned me out in weird way. I mean, we were promised these amazing old school games, but every game fell short (for me anyway). The only thing they did was increasing the sad feeling of nostalgia, a bit like what Horus was saying. The magic of creating a RPG with an amazing story feel like an lost art, especially when the supposed masters of the genre are having trouble producing interesting stuff. Risen is still my favorite "recent" RPG and that came one out years ago long before the kickstarter craze. Now I have more or less embraced the popamoles of today, because you know what you will be getting and occasionally you will be surprised. Bit weird of a crisis, but a crisis still I guess.

Remember that time, when you were a kid and waiting for school end so you can just run home to play your favorite games until midnights?

Yeah those times have gone.

Gaming is like chasing the dragon that is called your first best game, you always try to reach that feeling but no matter what you do, you won't reach it.

Won't stop you though and you will still keep chasing it until you die. Just like the rest of us.

It's not like that, as I've written I found w a fukken great series of Shin Megami Tensei and Drakengard, both are comparable in terms of quality to my beloved franchises from the past... It's all about there's a very rare chance to find some other games on that level again. SMT at least has many titles in it, released from 1987 'til now, but by now I've almost finished them all, hence crysis.

Walden

Savant
Severals, but is hard to tell them from general depression.
Also I have to litterally hide my true mighty nerd attitude from my friends/parents/society, so in the more external strata of my subconscious when I play Dragon Wars for example, I just feel this is an unnecessary childish weirdo activity that won't provide me some social and working benefit. As matter of course, together with music, gaming is one of the few moments I don't perceive as a prosaic life collateral activities, which is great.
The actual industry is just boring: during the 80/90s games where just an unexplored matter, with no relevance archetypal and paradigms to follow and consequential loads of creative approaches.
Today the general panorama is just oversatured, and there won't come any fundamental new ideas unless developers won't start to invest in IA and physics etc... which is a far cry from what garantees $$$ today. Thanks to god I was just poor back in the days, and now it's even worse, but I can play any classics paying few euros on GOG/Steam and on emulators(paying.. yes.. :positive:).

Dux

Arcane
During the great RPG popamole blight of 20xx-20xx I scraped by living off rock. It nearly made me un-game.

Right now I'm enjoying gaming to a certain extent, as much as work will allow me. Mostly older games. I'll never again have the energy and enthusiasm I had back in the day, though, when I played all the new games - no matter the genre.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game over man, it's game over! Join the dark side, embrace the decline!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I bet that you lazy bastards routinely complain about burnout and uninspired developers. LOL Life is too short to waste with popamoles and I barely have the time to play the best classics. If you don’t have the energy to play the good stuff, the best thing is avoid playing any game at all. Find another hobby and stop wasting your lives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom