Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming Networks - Steam vs Stardock vs....

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I just updated the poll on the front page of www.tacticularcancer.com, to (essentially) "What is your favourite gaming network"?
As in, a network over which you buy and try games.

Currently I use Steam (boo! hiss!! I hear you say) and Stardock.
I'm thinking of getting into GamersGate, due to the excellent array of strategy games available there (and also the nice things that baby arm says about them).

A recent network is Triton, but I have heard some bad things about them (client issues, etc).

What ones do TCancer visitors prefer (and why)?
(and go vote in the poll. C'mon, you know you want too...)

And are there any good examples that people may not be aware of?
Is Steam the only one that is perceived as being an intrusive motherfucker?

whatusername

Scholar
I prefer the Stardock thing, it seems to be less interweb-dependant than Steam when you play the games.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
STEAM isn't that bad, though if it was just an online-retail service instead of copy protection it'd be a lot better. I haven't tried any of the others, but holeeee shit does Gamers' Gate look awesome. Supreme Ruler 2010 and Victioria Revolutions for only 30 bucks total? YES PLEASE!

Funny story. I searched on google just there for "Totse down" because Totse wasn't working, and the first result was an RPGCodex topic. Funny story.

Anyway, to the topic. Cough. I use Steam, and I've never had any problems with it. Never tried Stardock.... what's it like?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Find out for yourself!
TotalGaming.net is a new way of getting PC games into your hands instantly.

TotalGaming.net allows you to buy games the way you want. You can purchase a game using your credit card, or you become a TotalGaming.net member and buy games at a discount using our unique Token system.

Here's How It Works: For $69.95 you can become a TotalGaming.net member and receive 10 tokens. Your tokens can be used to purchase any of the titles available on the TotalGaming network - at a significant discount compared to buying the same games standalone.

For example, let's say you want to purchase Game X:

You could buy Game X for $19.95 just like you would from any other store. But, if you were a TotalGaming.net member, you could simply spend 2 Tokens to buy Game X for the equivalent price of $13.99 - a savings of over 40%!

When you purchase software from TotalGaming.net you are provided with our Stardock Central application, which is our core technology that allows you to manage your games. Through Stardock Central your games will always be kept up-to-date and you'll never have to worry about losing what you buy, since you'll always be able to re-download your purchases in the future.

For more information on TotalGaming.net, check out our FAQ.

Jason

chasing a bee
I haven't tried any of the above, but a lot of folks at the Sword of the Stars forums are hating on Direct2Drive for giving you a limited number of installs, one installation at a time, and for encrypting the .gob file which apparently prevents you from modding the game (even though modding is one of the promised features). The modding issue is supposed to be fixed soon, though. And some people claim the D2D version runs slower due to the heavy encryption.

mathboy

Liturgist
I got GalCiv2 from Stardock Central, and I think it worked great. I became a member and bought it for 5 of the tokens, so now I have a couple of games to choose whenever I want to!

Supreme Ruler 2010 is only 2 tokens ($13.99) there, and it seems Victoria Revolutions is $9.99 somewhere (probably at gamersgate), so you could buy them seperately and save $6.02.

obediah

Erudite
Well Stardock is the only one that actually sells you a game, so it's the only one I'll buy from.

Steam, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Triton, and all the other ilk, al just sell you the right to play a game for a little while until their massive incompetence causes screws you over. I hope they all die for fucking up the last best hope for PC gaming.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
baby arm said:
I haven't tried any of the above, but a lot of folks at the Sword of the Stars forums are hating on Direct2Drive for giving you a limited number of installs, one installation at a time, and for encrypting the .gob file which apparently prevents you from modding the game (even though modding is one of the promised features). The modding issue is supposed to be fixed soon, though. And some people claim the D2D version runs slower due to the heavy encryption.
Fuck. Forgot about Direct2Drive.
I've heard that some of the versions of their games require different patches to the "normal" retail version. Sounds sucky.

I notice GamersGate has Sword of the Stars as well. Why would people choose to get it from D2D rather than GG?

More questions:
What is the difference with the way GamersGate works? Does it require you to connect to the service every time you play a game? Or is it more like Stardock/Totalgaming?

obediah said:
Well Stardock is the only one that actually sells you a game, so it's the only one I'll buy from.

Steam, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Triton, and all the other ilk, al just sell you the right to play a game for a little while until their massive incompetence causes screws you over.
So GamersGate operates more like Steam (etc)?
Also, is it guaranteed that Stardock doesn't require you to "connect" in order to play, or at least install a game? I got Gods froim them recently, then my HD failed. On re-installing it insisted on connecting to home base to re-activate it. May have been just "one of those things"...or not. It may mean that if Stardock goes belly up I can't e-install Gods again.

Another thing:
The makers of a game may have their own policy re: copy protection that supercedes or adds to the networks own policies.

For example, most games I have on Steam don't require re-connecting to check their validity every time I play them. However, Sin Episodes does. I read somewhere that this is not Valve's doing.

Also, I notice that at GamersGate Rush for Berlin has a notice saying "This game utilizes copy-protection technology that will lock the game to the computer you activates it on! You can activate the game three times. If you need more activations please contact support@paradoxplaza.com."
Obviously a paradox scheme(?)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I used Stardock central, Steam and Gamers Gate.

Steam sucks.

Stardock has the best system IMO, plus they are cheapest.

Gamers Gate has the best games, reasonably priced, plus their prices include tax.
So, GG wins. :)

About Rush for Berlin, I got it from Gamers Gate, the game is star-force protected, and it has online activation. But the game is worth it, maybe they'll remove it later on.

edit-I can't vote, I only get the results on the main page.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Make sure that you have "Log me on automatically each visit" ticked when you log in.
Then come back to the front page, and you should be already logged in.
Then you should be able to use the poll.

Llyranor

Liturgist
I quite like Steam.

Otherwise, I use Gamersgate to download Paradox-published titles, and get titles from Matrix and Battlefront directly from their respective digital stores.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Okay, the other day I tried out GamersGate for the first time.

I can see what Obediah means up there about "sell(ing) you the right to play a game for a little while", and putting it into the same camp as the likes of Steam.
Basically you download an encrypted file and every time you want to install from it you have to connect to the network. If the fuckers go out of business you are screwed.

However, there are two reasons why I still consider GamersGate to be very good for me:

The first one ( perhaps a little dodgy):
It doesn't take too much nous to work out how to get the unencrypted files before the installer deletes them and back them up. You still need a key (if your game requires it), but you can use the installer without connecting to GG and I therefore have the gaym for lyfe.

The second one:
Price.
I bought Hearts of Iron : Doomsday for US $19.95, which equates to about NZ $30.
The same game bought in a store over here is anywhere from $50 to $80 in a box.
That's a massive saving - between 40% and 63% off the boxed price.
And when I tell my wife this she doesn't seem to mind as much when I fork out for yet another game I don't have time to play :wink:

mytgroo

Scholar
Don't forget Totalgaming.net

Don't forget totalgaming.net -- they have Etherlords, Aveyond, and a bunch of RPGish games in there. Not the newest but a lot more independent titles.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Re: Don't forget Totalgaming.net

mytgroo said:
Don't forget totalgaming.net -- they have Etherlords, Aveyond, and a bunch of RPGish games in there. Not the newest but a lot more independent titles.

TotalGaming <-> Stardock Central (client)
"TotalGaming.net is Stardock Entertainment's online gaming service"

Jason

chasing a bee
I can see what Obediah means up there about "sell(ing) you the right to play a game for a little while", and putting it into the same camp as the likes of Steam.
Basically you download an encrypted file and every time you want to install from it you have to connect to the network. If the fuckers go out of business you are screwed.
Look what happened with Triton.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jason Cross said:
How long ago was it that 3DRealms announced they would distribute Duke Forever via Triton, and that Triton had figured out all the problems of every other digital online distribution service and stuff?

Because just like everything else 3DRealms seems to do, it looks pretty funny a year later.

Jason

chasing a bee
All hope is not lost...
I know many of you are curious why I have been silent, and that is because of legal reasons, so this is not a statement I am making from the company's perspective. I can't go into details, but I can say that all users that purchased the game from Triton will not be screwed, or left out in the cold. There will be a patch that will remove the dependency from the live system and allow you to backup / copy and play your games. Next step will allow you to run the games direct without any of the triton code.

I am making sure I have permission to get this pach out first so that I dont run into legal issues. When some of the dust settles, I should be able to give a better picture. From my perspective on digital distribution, this is essential that the patch be released so that no one is left out in the cold and it doesnt get a mark against it.

I'm working with the guys at 3DR and HH for Prey. If you just purchased it and you didnt get a CD key, or have comments / flames (or not), drop me a line at [ thebox a.t. obwando.com ] and I will do my best to get things resolved as I move forward on my next project. That is my personal email box, and not a company address.

I told the community that I would support and resolve any of these things if it happened, and I intend to keep my word personally.

--Royal

Dmitron

Arbiter
I realise this has little effect on most of you, but thought I'd post my unique localized problem with online distrub.

I live in a country where broadband bandwidth is restricted. If I have to reinstall Half-life 2 - it consumes half my internet quota for the month.

These sorts of games cost me $50 for the box + $25 in internet related bills simply to install.

My friends (some of them students - who can't afford the high cost of local broadband) purchase the game, and then aren't able to install it, or are forced to find someone generous enough to donate their bandwidth (having acquaintances in the IT departments of large companies can be very useful :twisted: ).

dagorkan

Arbiter
So, uh... how would I unencrypt a Gamersgate download?

edit:
Nevermind, I'll just download the warez version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom