Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Get rid of the Codex Steam Curation

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I feel like this is starting to get unhealthy. Certain elements seem more interested in getting more views and followers than quality review content. Ideology one way or another has infested something that was meant to reflex a slice of the Codex's opinion - but that was a poor idea in the first place because the opinions here are as diverse and manifold as there are posters.

Let's stick to thinkg like the annual "The Codex's top 100 RPGs", decided by consensus and voting, and not some arbitrary list curated by people with an agenda one way or another.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A list of video games on Steam represents an attack on my identity that I can't stop obsessing about

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think yes, this Steam crap is bothering me too. But if DU needs the money from Steam to run the site, then it is totally ok.
RPGCodex is made of individuals and there is never a common ground on anything.
I mean in the end it's everyone responsibility to make their own decisions.
That includes the people who buy games, but also the steam / social media newfags that have gotten hold of the site.
Giving recommendations is not bad per se, insincerity is.
However, it's sad that RPGCodex reviews have become such a joke.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Since the Curator page seems to be Infinitron's personal shill project, it should at least have its name changed so it doesn't look like an official Codex thing. He'll still get to put it on his resume when he applies to IGN, and the Codex won't have its good name dragged through the mud. Everyone wins.

Burning Bridges

Can someone post a link to the page? Because I don't even know what this fucking steam curator shit is, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

I have only 1 game on Steam, The Long Dark. I installed it only for playing that game and consider uninstalling it as soon as I don't need it any more.

Burning Bridges

Ah, ok I see. This will indeed be misunderstood by people who don't know that this does not represent more than someone's personal taste.

Make it "Infinitrons" page and write in big letters that he is a major newseditor at Rpgcodex (also show his brofist count).
Claiming it to be the "official" opinion of Rpgcodex is way off line. Only exception: If the money generated is used to pay for the site.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I don't think they pay actual money, just handouts like the plane tickets or whatever that bought a positive review for Might & Magic X.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I don't think they pay actual money, just handouts like the plane tickets or whatever that bought a positive review for Might & Magic X.

You mean this?
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM - Infinitron: there have been some accusations that certain Codex staff members have an agenda to ingratiate the forum with developers
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM - Infinitron: regardless of the validity of that, it's worth pointing out that the most recent news is in part of a result of such ingratiation
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM - Infinitron: Ubisoft paid for Grunker's trip to Gamescom and gave us a bunch of free MMX keys
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:28 PM - Infinitron: Well, a free airline flight is more than what we usually get

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...chive-4-2015-03-22.97896/page-77#post-3877098

And yeah. The curator is as far as I'm aware just Infinitron these days. Zed mentioned he stopped trying to do anything with it a while ago. Change it to the Infinicurator + remove the codex logo and all is well. It's not even terribly useful anymore. It seems more occupied with being popular and attracting more followers by adding mainstream games than actually highlighting the true gems of the genre.

Burning Bridges

I don't mind if Grunker gets free plane tickets or something. Even if someone gets free blowjobs, that's perfectly ok.

What bothers me is the attitude that seems to prevail in recent reviews. I can hardly read them to end because they seem to be intent not to step on anyone's toes. Now matter how many problems a game has, the verdict seems to be almost always "but it is a very good game".

If this is the new trend, and the reason why the site is now partly run by people I don't even know, people who joined just 1 or 2 years ago, everything will go to crap and DU might as well sell the site right away.

And lastly, Fuck Steam. I don't need to run a fucking middleware akin to a small operating system to run games.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What bothers me is the attitude that seems to prevail in recent reviews. I can hardly read them to end because they seem to be intent not to step on anyone's toes. Now matter how many problems a game has, the verdict seems to be almost always "but it is a very good game".

If this is the new trend, and the reason why the site is now partly run by people I don't even know, people who joined just 1 or 2 years ago, everything will go to crap and DU might as well sell the site right away.
This is exactly what pisses me off as of late. Twits who really should be posting on RPGWatch instead planning official Codex content in a manner where the outcome of the review (shed a positive light on the game) is more important than actually presenting well-argued points in favor of whatever the review is trying to convey, resulting in weak-ass crap like the latest PoE review.

A user named cat

And lastly, Fuck Steam. I don't need to run a fucking middleware akin to a small operating system to run games.
Fuck GOG. I don't need them selling me decades-old abandonware and fan patches in order to profit some potatoes and greedy weasels to run games.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This is exactly what pisses me off as of late. Twits who really should be posting on RPGWatch instead planning official Codex content in a manner where the outcome of the review (shed a positive light on the game) is more important than actually presenting well-argued points in favor of whatever the review is trying to convey, resulting in weak-ass crap like the latest PoE review.

You seen the PM discussion about the 'one in the works' ?

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I thought DU was kidding when he said this place would turn into IGN if Mossad ever managed to bump off him and VOD.

Don Peste

Arcane
A poll or an UT match, I don't know, but something has to be done.

Also refrain from posting images like this:
AA-jew-rub-hands_thumb.gif

Who benefits from this?
I8BKpOn.gif

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Who benefits from this?
I8BKpOn.gif
Drama lovers. I've had to bulk order popcorn.

spekkio

Arcane
Posting in soon to be epic thread.

:popcorn:

On topic: People following other people's advice when buying games, when torrents are available... :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom