Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Btw, if you're a Deus Ex fan, you have to read this.

I try such kind of things as well, it's great fun. Especially the demolition of the first floor of the 'ton when escaping with Paul and creative ways to kill Anna, Gunther and Maggy often take quite some time to set up and try.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If you are going to shit on someone's work make sure it isn't with totally unfounded criticism.
I'm not shitting on it. I give my honest impression. There is a difference.

Only five bullets from a box, and only 2 from a dropped weapon? Ah, right, I get it. You're not supposed to use ammo to take down enemies, but only to open things, I guess. So you probably shouldn't spend points on upgrading pistol and rifle beyond "trained" and get the first perk.

Pistol Ammo Counts:

Box

Vanilla = 6.
GMDX = 5. Also adds armor piercing ammo boxes.

Dropped

Vanilla: randomized 1-4.
GMDX: randomized 1-4.

So what is your criticism here, ignoring the fact that less ammo is a good thing as in Deus Ex you were absolutely swimming in it?

Ok, if that's true, it's less of a difference then I remember. And I do like the armor piercing ammo.

I get the GEP gun, leave the dock, get the first crate and crawl to the corner... where there is a plant in the way. Which is a recurring theme: on many places you cannot hide behind the corner anymore, because there's a plant or lamp there now. Hm.

What is this I don't even know. Can someone point out my supposed mistake here?

Well, I don't know if it is a mistake, but it is certainly different. I tend to hide behind a corner and lean to take a peek. This makes that difficult.

When crawling around the plant, I immediately get spotted, and the enemy throws a flare in my face. Nice. I run back to the dock to shake them off. Paul and the bot start shooting. They even run up the ramp and come back a minute or so later. And most enemies are dead. I walk to Headquarters, and see more dead bodies everywhere. Yep, half the enemies of this level are now gone. That's some impressive aggro range.

Firstly, that's hyperbole. There's ~30 enemies on that map and at most five or six died from the immediate area in that firefight. Secondly yes, aggro range is greater on higher difficulty levels. Still not totally realistic levels but more realistic and challenging than vanilla. Don't like the so-called "artificial difficulty" this provides, play on a lower level.

Well, I'm pretty sure I made a few piles that together held more than 10 NSF guys. Ok, so it's not half. But it was impressive (dead bodies as far as I could see) and I'll bet that was why you relocated the bot at the other side to Headquarters. Because I wanted to run a train to that bot, but it was gone.

Anyway, when the bot is destroyed by using up all my ammo on it, it's time to get some more healing from the medbot in the container. But, it's empty! Grr! Ok, let's restart on medium difficulty, because I guess that was a feature from realistic and hardcore. But, after repeating the above (and shrugging off most of the bullet hits), it is still empty after two uses. Bah. Ah, well, another reason why you should sneak around everyone and only use weapons that don't use ammo.

Are you sure you're playing the right mod?

20hvvbn.jpg

Yes, that's the medbot. It held two charges and then was empty. I read the perks and your description, but that said somewhere that it was only for Realistic and/or Harcore mode.

Ok, I've got a GEP gun, let's take out the security bot at the entrance of the statue. Although... I cannot. The GEP gun has no scope and no tracking, so I am totally incapable of hitting the bot with it. Bummer. One more useless ranged weapon.

In the vanilla game did it come with a scope by default? No. It did come with lock-on tracking, yet this comment implies all guns are useless as they don't have tracking in that case, as it works the same as all other guns. It also has laser guidance and remote steering once you mod it. "Useless" apparently. Maybe I should restore lock-on tracking in the easier difficulties for the tards.

Consider me a tard, I would like it :D

And btw, I think restricting the amount of food and drinks to just a few is stupid as well. Yes, you can get probably 30-50 hitpoints by eating and drinking everything there is in a level, so I understand that it is totally OP. Not.

Why is it stupid? You left that out aside from the assumption I added this semi-realistic game system solely because I perceived it to be OP.

Well, if I would have wanted to restrict it, I would also have increased the healing amount a lot, because otherwise the food items aren't worth anything.

Ok, there's a few enemies left between me and the dock at the other side, so I take them down (shoot one with a tranquilizer dart and take out the other(s) when they come running). And I cannot find the one with the sniper rifle. Hm. How did I miss that one? Ok, restart and try again, this time on realistic again. And, after repeating the above, I'm sure the NSF guy that normally has the rifle, now has a pistol. Grr. Ok, well, they're not that useful anyway, with the severe ammo shortage. But I really like being a sniper!

Then you should have picked the sniper from Paul. That's the point. C&C.

Yes, ok. But I tend to master rifles ASAP, simply so I can shoot turrets, sensors and doors. Because I rarely kill NSF guys (perhaps a few snipers). And sniping from rooftops, across the level.

I also have a problem with leaving anyone standing or not exploring everything. I take down or kill all enemies and I backtrack to all the locations on each level. Completionist.

Ok, so I took a break, downloaded the SDK, puzzled a bit to have it work with GMDX and started fixing the things I didn't like. And noticed that you change a lot of things in code everywhere. So, I changed the classes for the ammo and such, but had to find the places in the code which override it.

The code and especially the comments are interesting. With that mindset, I don't think programming is for you.

Charming.

// Ok, first take care of grenades, we want random 1-4
// Now other ammo (NOT grenades), give them 1-4 random
// For grenades, we want just 1
// And now the grenades: I hate special cases!
// I really hate special cases!
// Did I say I hate special cases?
// I *REALLY* hate special cases!

The complaining of special cases in particular is vanilla. Consider that GMDX is also built on top of HDTP and vanilla. I rarely comment myself.

Well, at least this assumption isn't totally unfounded. I'm not sure if programming is for me either, but I certainly don't think games criticism is for you. Fact check before you spew baseless bullshit. There's a reason this mod is universally loved here.

Ah, ok. Although in that piece of code, it says GMDX two or three times. But I guess the original designers, and/or the HDTP and/or the Shifter guys did the other comments. Sorry!

But it's why I don't like DX:HR as well: while, technically, you can play in multiple ways, realistically the game/mod goes a long way discouraging anything but stealth play with only non-lethal take downs.

What if I told you that my preferred playstyle is combat and I designed the mod to cater to myself first and foremost? Stealth players: don't let that dissuade you. As a designer everyone has a preference, and I did everything in my power to make a better stealth experience.

Well, as I said, I like most of it, and let's say that we both like to play in a different way. Or, in many different ways, in my case.

And I guess I'm a minority on this board, as I don't want my single-player games to be as hard and challenging as possible. I want them to be entertaining. And Deus Ex is the best Sandbox there is, to me. To try lots of (crazy) stuff.

But anyway, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I'm not shitting on it. I give my honest impression. There is a difference.

So if you "mostly" like the mod, why are all your first impressions entirely negative? There's so much negativity in that first post that the one thing that looks to be positive, I can't actually tell if it's sarcasm or not.

Anyhow, yes, you were shitting because of the above (excessive negativity), the baseless assumptions, and the comment regarding my coding.

Well, if I would have wanted to restrict it, I would also have increased the healing amount a lot, because otherwise the food items aren't worth anything.

I did. Candy bars in particular received a +200% increase.

Ah, ok. Although in that piece of code, it says GMDX two or three times. But I guess the original designers, and/or the HDTP and/or the Shifter guys did that. Sorry!

Yes because adding a comment in the vicinity of undeclared/unnamed vanilla comments is a concept you cannot comprehend. Those are, as a matter of fact, vanilla comments.

Well, as I said, I like most of it, and let's say that we both like to play in a different way. Or, in many different ways, in my case.

And how are you restricted from doing so aside my from alleged placement of clutter blocking you from leaning around corners (GMDX adds very little clutter, so it's an interesting criticism) and less ammo to spam the same gun over and over?

And I guess I'm a minority on this board, as I don't want my single-player games to be as hard and challenging as possible. I want them to be entertaining. And Deus Ex is the best Sandbox there is, to me. To try lots of (crazy) stuff.

Then pick a lower difficulty mode. Hardcore = Hardcore. Easy = Easy. This doesn't seem to get through to some people.

Yes, that's the medbot. It held two charges and then was empty. I read the perks and your description, but that said somewhere that it was only for Realistic and/or Harcore mode.

Yes. In lower difficulties they are unlimited, so play on those levels. You get your dumb/deaf/blind AI, unlimited healing bots and mostly all the other shit you are whining about.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Anyhow, good timing. I've been stupidly doing more work. Bear in mind the below is WIP:

2ueh451.jpg

Stats as listed since the shot is not clear:

Averaged Health across all body parts
Fatigue/Stamina (current and max)
Bioenergy (current and max)
Hunger (also shows whether you are hungry or satiated (not pictured))
Current Location
Morality

Pedometer display:

Distance Travelled in miles
Steps Taken
Heart Rate in bpm
Monitored Time

Clicking the "Status" button hides/shows the status evaluation display and pedometer.
It all updates in real time (including even heart rate, which is psuedo-simulated) if you have the "real time UI" option enabled.

So what I want feedback on is whether or not people like the styling. Do you think it clashes with the vanilla design? I can display these stats in pure boring text form (just a list of stats in plain text), or I can keep the styling ("Realistic" Pedometer, font styles and background textures), or I can change the styling to something that blends in a little better if you think there is clash.

Will post other stuff I've been doing at some point.

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok, I checked it out and I was wrong.

This is the original code:
Code:
// Any weapons have their ammo set to a random number of rounds (1-4)
// unless it's a grenade, in which case we only want to dole out one.
// DEUS_EX AMSD In multiplayer, give everything away.
W = DeusExWeapon(item);

// Grenades and LAMs always pickup 1
if (W.IsA('WeaponNanoVirusGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponGasGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponEMPGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponLAM'))
  W.PickupAmmoCount = 1;
else if (Level.NetMode == NM_Standalone)
  W.PickupAmmoCount = Rand(4) + 1;
}
else if (item.IsA('Credits'))     // I hate special cases
else if (item.IsA('DeusExWeapon'))  // I *really* hate special cases

and this is the GMDX code:

Code:
// Any weapons have their ammo set to a random number of rounds (1-4)
// unless it's a grenade, in which case we only want to dole out one.
// DEUS_EX AMSD In multiplayer, give everything away.
W = DeusExWeapon(item);

// Grenades and LAMs always pickup 1
if (W.IsA('WeaponNanoVirusGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponGasGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponEMPGrenade') ||
  W.IsA('WeaponLAM')  ||
  W.IsA('WeaponHideAGun') && player.FindInventorySlot(item, True))  //CyberP: there we go. Now need to stop 1-4 rand for nades
  W.PickupAmmoCount = 1;  //CyberP: I need to check if inventory is full and no nades
else if (!W.IsA('WeaponNanoVirusGrenade') &&
  !W.IsA('WeaponGasGrenade') &&
  !W.IsA('WeaponEMPGrenade') &&
  !W.IsA('WeaponLAM') &&
  !W.IsA('WeaponHideAGun')) //CyberP: no grenades.
W.PickupAmmoCount = Rand(4) + 1;
else if (W.Default.PickupAmmoCount != 0)
W.PickupAmmoCount = 1; //CyberP: hmm
}
else if (item.IsA('Credits'))     // I hate special cases
else if (item.IsA('DeusExWeapon'))  // I *really* hate special cases

So, the comments were from the original developer (there are more where he hates things and such). And yes, the pickup amount of pistol ammo is 6 in the original, and 5 in GMDX. So not as big a difference as I thought.

My mistake, I overreacted.

Ash

Arcane
Sure. I perhaps overreacted myself. all I ask is you keep an open mind for now and don't ditch it based on some bullshit first impressions. It's all logical and synergistic with the original design, that much has been proven. That's why the rare criticism that does appear is clutching at straws or just plain unfounded, though there's usually a modicum of truth among the bullshit (e.g hunger system is underdeveloped, though I've been working on it).

So, the comments were from the original developer (there are more where he hates things and such). And yes, the pickup amount of pistol ammo is 6 in the original, and 5 in GMDX. So not as big a difference as I thought.

There is slightly less ammo to be found in the world overall though (e.g less boxes), but the difference is indeed minor. Just enough to encourage diversifying tactics and strategies rather than popping every mole with one gun. Buying ammo from the vendors on the first level and elsewhere becomes more relevant this way too.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Anyhow, good timing. I've been stupidly doing more work. Bear in mind the below is WIP:

2ueh451.jpg

Alright, I've decided the stylizing does indeed clash a little with the original design. Deep down I must have accepted that, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Will post again shortly with a slightly altered design. Thoughts given before I do that will be appreciated though, as I quite like the look.

Ash

Arcane
More "vanilla" version:

2rzcklh.jpg

Kept the pedometer but masked its background, and set all other styling to default. May go with that since Deus Ex's UI is somewhat minimalist, and staying true to the original design where logical to do so is always a concern for me obviously.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, don't really know what I was thinking with that other style. I always pull through in the end though and that's what counts ;)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I like that second image better. FYI, it's okay to spice the interface up as long as you don't go out of your way to make it drastically different and look like shit.

Ash

Arcane
I like that second image better. FYI, it's okay to spice the interface up as long as you don't go out of your way to make it drastically different and look like shit.

Well, all my other UI changes nailed it too, so don't worry I've got a handle on it. That's usually the process: keep refining shit until it turns into good. You just got a sneak peak into that process.

...Then again I think the Perk window is a bit ugly. Maybe needs more refinement?

I've also got some space for more stats there, but I don't want anything overly gamey unless it is something that can realistically be monitored by a highly advanced computer built into your head. Though if it is an important gamey stat it could easily make it in.
Realistically we'd have a GPS system too, but not only would that conflict with DX lore (why the fuck are these people sending me shitty shots of hand-drawn maps when I have a GPS?) it'd also suck for gameplay (objective markers/"at the next T-junction turn left").

That window above was always empty vanilla until you clicked on a body part, so I thought I'd fill the space with some vital and not so vital info. And pressing the "status" button hides it permanently until pressed again, so if for whatever reason you take issue with this new stats and pedometer you can get rid of it permanently (although the button is primarily there so we can get the status display back after clicking a body part).

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok, finished level 1, now in battery park and don't know what to do. Because of many locks/doors that could be shot or blown up in vanilla, I'm out of lockpicks, which leaves storming the main entrance and getting a bad rep. I have it at advanced, but I did that too late (picked two locks with two picks). I did ask for a lockpick at the armory, didn't pick the grate in the closet at the base but did pick the lock of the display case with the darts. So I think I could have saved a pick by prioritizing it.

Btw, I think that's the main reason not to make all doors and containers have very high or infinite strength. Or, if you do: tell the player he should be saving them.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
"Because of many locks/doors that could be shot or blown up in vanilla, I'm out of lockpicks, which leaves storming the main entrance and getting a bad rep."

I'm convinced you're trolling me. By Battery Park only two doors that were breakable in the vanilla game have been set to INF, if my memory doesn't fail me. There's generally about 1 unbreakable door added per few levels if that, and for good reasons.

You don't get a bad rep going in the front way anymore now anyway, that vanilla bug is fixed. If Anna and the UNATCO boys kill them it doesn't count to your rep, as intended. And there's also a third route: you can sneak in through one of the gaps in Castle Clinton's walls which won't cause the place to be lit up; you can take them down quietly this way.

Last edited:

Aenra

Time for ammendments! :)

It appears my issues with this mod were due to i) the beta version i'd tried last being very problematic, ii) the installer, even today's, not adding everything on its own.
[at the time, i was locked in hardcore mode, don't ask me how, i was lacking kentie's installer, don't ask me how, i was having various other small issues.. being locked in said mode, never mind all the rest, gave me the impression i originally had, ie that the mod made the game overly punishing and twitch-based to an extent i thought ludicrous.. twitch and RP in a G, two opposite things]

Having finally being convinced, thanks Ash for prompting me and for your patience, to try it again and after admittedly some effort into sorting it out (still has its issues).. very, very, extremely impressive work. Well done! :D
I really, really enjoy re-playing it! You hit a good spot with the difficulty slider as well, i love how in many cases playing in medium and playing in hard entails your needing to incorporate different strategies. Now that's some good shit!

:brodex:

Bro, i salute you.. and my apologies as well. When i am wrong, i say it. Sure was this time around, lol.. fucking great job. Can't wait for the next weekend!
Now get off the fucking Codex and give me an Arx Fatalis mod. Seriously.

Abhay

Augur
Now get off the fucking Codex and give me an Arx Fatalis mod. Seriously

Yes. Please make a GMDX-like mod for Arx Fatalis. There's really a shortage of good mods for Arx. It'll be awesome to play such a cool mod for Arx too.
Please consider making a mod once you're done with GMDX, Ash!
Can't wait for v8.1 :)

Ash

Arcane
Time for ammendments! :)
Now that's some good shit!

:brodex:

:salute:

abhay said:
Yes. Please make a GMDX-like mod for Arx Fatalis. There's really a shortage of good mods for Arx. It'll be awesome to play such a cool mod for Arx too.
Please consider making a mod once you're done with GMDX, Ash!

I've got 99 problems and they're all related to money.

I'd love to, but I can't.

Ash

Arcane
Let me explain how heart rate display works since I went to the trouble coding it for no damn reason other than teh realism and cosmetics.

Base heart rate is determined by athletics skill (healthy people have slower heart rates than unhealthy).
Minor randomized fluctuation to mimic real hearts.

Modifiers:

Being out of breath or fatigued increases heart rate.
Current health modifies heart rate.
Being submerged in water lowers heart rate.
Entering combat mode increases heart rate.
Heart rate will steadily return to normal once these things are no longer in play.

Yay useless details that nobody will notice or care for! It's like those chi waves in System Shock in that regard.

Edit: I guess I should add the Synthetic Heart aug into the mix. That can lower base heart rate by a small amount.

...I guess I'd better show some of the more interesting new stuff soon :P

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Edit: I guess I should add the Synthetic Heart aug into the mix. That can lower base heart rate by a small amount.
Would a synthetic heart even have a pulse? The heart expands and contracts to move blood around, a synthetic one might just provide constant flow?

Something to consider perhaps.

Mustawd

Would a synthetic heart even have a pulse? The heart expands and contracts to move blood around, a synthetic one might just provide constant flow?

Something to consider perhaps.

A couple of thoughts:

-Blood pressure is important when doing different activities as it can rupture blood vessels or give you a stroke
-Is it more energy efficient to have a pulse-based flow rather than a constant one?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok, so I entered battery park with no lockpicks, no multitools and a single food item. I gave the food item to the boy at the start. Normally, I have a pick and a tool left.

I did everything else, rescued the hostages and let Anna kill the NSF in Castle Clinton. But I didn't find a lockpick or a food item, so I cannot go inside.

But, I checked a walkthrough, and there are two crates in the water, one with a medkit and one with a lockpick. Eh, there should be. But there's only the one with the medkit.

That leaves checking another walkthrough for the secret code for the stairs at the top.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Btw, the second augmentation canister is a bummer as it doesn't hold anything useful, and I think I'm missing a lot of stuff because I have hacking only at trained.

Oh, and it has been freezing for about a second on average each minute up to now.

I seriously have to change my play style.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool mod CyberP.

Is it right that I have all the HDTP NPC models? I thought they were disabled in GMDX.

Edit: Scratch that it's working properly now, the shortcut got mangled.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom