Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
Well, just before your reply I edited out the bold : "If you're specifically aiming for the ass out of habit from the old ways" because aiming for the ass was never actually necessary, anywhere above the legs and below the head worked fine, I for one always aimed for center of mass, a bit above the ass, to guarantee a K.O, at least once I got a hang of how it worked. I don't know where the claim of ass spankings actually originated among the fanbase, especially as there was greater risk of hitting the legs if you did that.
Funny either way though :)

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So as promised, here some impressions and questions. Bear in mind, I've only played through Deus Ex twice - once in vanilla, and once with GMDX. My vanilla playthrough was a sneaky combat character (sniper rifle/baton/cloak to avoid many of the late-game enemies) so I can't really talk much about the differences for a pure combat character in vanilla vs. GMDX other than the obvious new additions (Microfibral Muscle throwing etc.).

The most obvious great change has to be Enviromental Training, or rather, the suits governed by the skill. The way they worked in vanilla was incredibly clumsy and the way they work now is logical and makes putting points in the skill more rewarding.

The new skill requirements for hacking is great. Because I didn't master the Computer skill, I was unable to hack all computers, which makes perfect sense. In vanilla you could hack anything IIRC, wasn't the only reason to go master to be able to read long e-mails?

I dumped Lockpicking and Electronics and it worked out, I could get into almost every container using other tricks although I obviously couldn't do it stealthily. I destroyed locks with the sniper rifle and although I had dumped the skill, I always saved enough multitools to crack open the containers with nano-augmentation canisters by hacking security cameras through computers instead of multitools, murdering goons before they could touch alarm panels and evading laser triggers like Catwoman (which became trivial once I got the Thermo-optic Cloak aug). I couldn't access the pool in Everett's lab and not the Echelon AI either because I lacked the 18 or so multitools needed to hack the control panel, which was good since I had dumped the skill.

I love mantling, vanilla JC feels handicapped in comparison. The non-augmented jump height is really fucking low in Deus Ex. One side-effect is that you can accidently get outside the map borders easier, for example on Liberty Island. Only a problem for a first-time player starting with GMDX and not educated in the school of quicksaving, though.

I absolutely love the idea of the Stealth skill, although I can't talk much about it yet since I never put any points in it on my combat character. But the idea of spending skill points to increase crouch speed, make landing silent and increase the detection time for security cameras - the stealth player's bane! - looks great.

I can talk about the increased enemy vision and hearing though. I played on Realistic and it was great to meet enemies that aren't completely blind and deaf. And the change to hitboxes that make headshots with the baton deal the most damage is such a logical change. Instead of hitting them in the lower back, you sneak towards them, stand up and hold the walk key, whack them across the skull before crouching down and hoping no one saw anything. And the double-click [use key] to carry bodies that are still holding items, man, that's another great addition. It actually took me half the game until I realized the option was there. It really speeds up the process of hiding knocked out enemies, which alert enemies now, another logical change.

Ammo distribution worked well. I never had enough to spray around recklessly, but as long as I aimed for the head and varied my weaponry I was fine. Maybe it's a little too sparse in the early levels where you can barely get a full magazine for any of your 2-3 weapons and is forced to avoid enemies/use melee weapons, but perhaps it's like that in vanilla too.

The weapon mod menu is another logical addition. Right off the bat you know what kind of upgrades you will be able to fit into your weapon. And it's visually clear what kind of and how many you've put into a weapon.

I love the perks, there are some rewarding ones there. Like the master-level perk for Heavy Weapons. It's actually ridiculous how small they become in the inventory, but since ammo for them were really sparse (except for maybe the Plasma Rifle in the endgame) it didn't feel overpowered.

XAz89Uz.png

However, some perks are less valuable.
For example, the master-level perk for Environmental Training increases the max number of medkits and biocells in your inventory from 20 to 25. Thing is, I never even had that many of either at any one time. If it had been from 10 to 15 I would have seen the appeal (the numbers are just an example without taking balance with the rest of the game into account).
The master-level perk for Environmental Training adds x-ray vision to Tech Goggles, but in my experience the goggles drain so quickly even on high skill levels, that I don't see it worth the bother especially when the Vision aug is so much more reliable. (I see you're adding thermo-optic camo effects to the perk in the latest patch though, which is good.)
Then there's the master-level perk for stealth that makes stamina regenerate while crouched which is just laughable (changed in your patch notes as well), more on stamina down below.

The raid on Paul's hotel room never happened until I initiated combat/alerted the enemies. If you've entered from the hallway the door is stuck open and the strike team have to close the door before blowing it up and rushing in. I think I read you addressing this on another forum when I was googling up info on your changes to Paul in that sequence.

Some questions, big and small:

The master level for Demolitions says that it makes gas grenades knock out organic targets, and there is also a master-level perk that does this. I assume that only the perk adds the knock-out function, and the master level only adds more grenade damage and longer disarming time?

I didn't fully understand the Synthetic Heart so I picked Recirculator for its obvious bonus, thinking the Synthetic Heart could be detrimental to my build. From what I understand the aug improves other augs, including active ones at the cost of increased power drain, but not above aug level 4. So when you have an active aug at level 4, say Targeting, does the Synthetic Heart add increased power drain but no increased effect?

I don't see the worth of the Athletics skill. Or rather, the stamina system. On my last character, the only time I even noticed the stamina bar was at the site of the Walton Simons boss fight in the Ocean Lab. I was running and jumping backwards over the rail track with the Speed Aug, shooting transgenics with the Plasma Rifle like I was playing an arena shooter. I ran out of stamina and a karkian took a bite out of JC's leg before I was able to put him down. It took an extraordinary amount of exaggerated jumping in order to bring the stamina bar down, and that was on Untrained. You have so much stamina that it's actually a challenge to bring it down to zero. On the other hand, if you were to lower the stamina pool the experience would be handicapped, with JC running out of breath every other corridor like it's Far Cry 2. The idea to make Swimming less useless is a good one, but I think the stamina system is rather pointless. Or maybe it's just trivial on my playstyle and a concern on others'. Can you talk a little about the stamina system? Is there some obvious use of it that I've missed?

As for the microfibral muscle, It's fun being able to throw corpses around like that but a bit cartoonish. Hardcore mode outright disables high-powered corpse throwing and there's also the "realistic corpses" option you unlock, so players can choose whether they prefer the gory fun or realistic consistency, which do conflict very strongly in this instance.
It is indeed cartoonish and disabling it in hardcore mode makes sense. However it is absurdly fun to throw corpses at walls and cover them with blood and over-the-top gore effects, that was my first course of action after I'd cleared an area of enemies. And when I realized that I could knock out an MIB and then use his body as an improvised throwable explosive on his MJ12 pals, that was amazing.

Anyway, will probably do a "quick" video showing some of the new stuff soon.
Great, looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Aww shame you never played combat vanilla for comparison. It's considerably improved as vanilla combat was so flawed. Stealth is a little less improved but that is because it was a little less flawed. Well, it's a shame you only did one playhrough in general as you won't notice the full extent of the improvements, but I'm glad you appreciate the mod nonetheless.

The master level for Demolitions says that it makes gas grenades knock out organic targets, and there is also a master-level perk that does this. I assume that only the perk adds the knock-out function, and the master level only adds more grenade damage and longer disarming time?

Yeah, though the skill also increases blast radius.
I must have accidentally left that sentence regarding gas knockout in from before perks existed, as the skill did do as stated beforehand.

I didn't fully understand the Synthetic Heart so I picked Recirculator for its obvious bonus, thinking the Synthetic Heart could be detrimental to my build. From what I understand the aug improves other augs, including active ones at the cost of increased power drain, but not above aug level 4. So when you have an active aug at level 4, say Targeting, does the Synthetic Heart add increased power drain but no increased effect?

Yeah, correct again. As in vanilla it's best used in repeat playthroughs where you have gained knowledge of it from the last, so you don't take any aug to level 4 then install the aug. And its drain values are too high in v8.0 which is a big problem (fixed in v9.0).

The raid on Paul's hotel room never happened until I initiated combat/alerted the enemies. If you've entered from the hallway the door is stuck open and the strike team have to close the door before blowing it up and rushing in. I think I read you addressing this on another forum when I was googling up info on your changes to Paul in that sequence.

Fixed in v9.0, though I forgot to note it in the changelog.

I don't see the worth of the Athletics skill. Or rather, the stamina system. On my last character, the only time I even noticed the stamina bar was at the site of the Walton Simons boss fight in the Ocean Lab.

Yeah in v8.0 I nerfed it on all except hardcore mode, which was p.stupid. It's back to more suitable values in v9.0.

Can you talk a little about the stamina system? Is there some obvious use of it that I've missed?

-To make running away from the goldfish AI something non-trivial. It was far too easy and inconsequential to escape NPCs, let them go back to their unaware state, and try again over and over. Stealth gameplay needs that to not be too punishing, but it was far too lenient, especially in that AI also gave up chasing you FIVE SECONDS after losing sight of you vanilla (in GMDX that number varies based on difficulty level). So I wanted to make chases/fleeing more thrilling, more realistic, and more challenging.
-Just another semi-realistic system to add depth to combat and stealth. Movement in the game world becomes more tactical e.g moving from cover to cover without losing stamina.
-To improve the swimming skill, obviously.
-As a downside, it interrupts exploration on occassion, but it's worth it. Yet currently as you've noticed in v8.0, it's pretty much irrelevant unless you are on hardcore mode. This will be rectified in v9 and won't be as you expect - where you run out of breath every hallway. The intention is for there to be a lot of stamina and always has been, but it's way too lenient in v8.0.

The GMDX values of enemies forgetting you even attacked after having lost sight of you off the top of my head is something like 5 - 6 - 8 - 12 (in seconds) for easy, normal, realistic & hardcore respectively, though some enemy types do have their own unique values. Still pretty lenient even on hardcore in comparison to some stealth games, but it's not just for stealth as combat play gravely needed the ability to hunt you down a little more competently too and not just forget about you if you duck behind cover for five seconds. The value can't be too high either as AI know your exact location all times in the combat state even if they cannot physically see you, so the current values are just right (myself I play on hardcore, which you as a quicksave whore probably wouldn't enjoy).

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
After some consideration and some testing I just replicated both these bugs. Trigger: choosing the mini-crossbow option from Paul. I'll find the exact loophole and plug it.
Well, good thing the mod's mostly considered stable overall so a few bugs here an there is acceptable as long as I fix them, which I have been.

How was your first playthrough, by the way? I'm glad the mod has inspired immediate replays for a lot of people.

Version 9.0 Changelog so far:

-New left click interactivity: left clicking on doors will put either a lockpick or nanokey ring in your hand.
This is really cool.
:incline:

Dux

Arcane
I think I found a bug or something. It's in the tunnels in Hong Kong. There's a large tear in the wall beneath the water, where the small boat is going by. I can see other sections of the map but I can't go through it.

Ash

Arcane
I love the perks, there are some rewarding ones there. Like the master-level perk for Heavy Weapons. It's actually ridiculous how small they become in the inventory, but since ammo for them were really sparse (except for maybe the Plasma Rifle in the endgame) it didn't feel overpowered.

I may change that actually. Definitely too small. Initially I only wanted it to reduce heavy weapons by two slots each, but texture sizes can only be of the power of two hence why they are so small in reduction...yet I can just recreate the textures themselves, duh.

Ash

Arcane
Here you go:

293u4hz.jpg

Much more sensible. Not ridiculously small, not ridiculously larger than they are worth as in vanilla...yet it is tempting to make the above the default size for them, as that's the size I thought they should have always been. I'll likely do that and then have to conjure up a new master level heavy weapons perk.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
For some reason when it comes to having a custom color HUD scheme it keeps changing when for example I die then reload, simply reloading a save, or when heading through a loading area where it changes back to the color scheme I had for the HUD before I changed it. Is there a fix for that?

Other then that I have enjoyed this mod, enjoy being able to mantle onto things.

Ash

Arcane
Three prerequisites to using a custom color theme:

1. Create your custom color theme.
2. Hit the save button on the "create custom color theme" menu to save your custom theme.
3. Choose the "CustomMenu" and "CustomHUD" themes from the "Color" sub-menu, though both are chosen by default, but you may have changed them for one of the vanilla themes.

Ash

Arcane
Oh, and loading a save also loads the color theme you had when you saved, so if it's different to your current one it will change back. If you change theme, save after.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Here you go:

293u4hz.jpg

Much more sensible. Not ridiculously small, not ridiculously larger than they are worth as in vanilla...yet it is tempting to make the above the default size for them, as that's the size I thought they should have always been. I'll likely do that and then have to conjure up a new master level heavy weapons perk.
I am sad about this change. In large part due to the fact that it is now impossible to have all heavy weapons + any of sniper/dragon tooth/sawed/LAW. At master level, is it really too much to ask to be able to carry all the weapons of that type (LAW is heavy ;)?

What if one of them was reduced to 1x3 and the other stayed the 2x3? The flamethrower is the simplest of them, maybe one can argue that at master level JC is able to strip it down to a more barebones version which is why it becomes smaller and not the others.

Ash

Arcane
Well, that does look like a fold-able stock on the flamethrower, maybe it can be cut to 2x2. In-game the plasma rifle is much smaller than the GEP too.
I am happy with the latest change though. 2 slots less is better than vanilla. GEP aside they've never been that much more valuable than the rifles or pistols selection to justify such large size. But I do get the desire to carry all the heavy weaponry. Heavy weapons as a build should probably be viable as it is in v8.0.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I was always disappointed with the heavy weapons. I used all of them, and yet... for some reason they felt just lacking. Plasma gun especially.

Ash

Arcane
Well...have you used them in GMDX? They've all been improved in numerous ways.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I was always disappointed with the heavy weapons. I used all of them, and yet... for some reason they felt just lacking. Plasma gun especially.
Plasma gun now gibs fools like no other. Still not a great weapon, but the new graphics are hard to argue with.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
GEP gun was pretty 'essential' if you wanted to have an easy time with robots.

Flame/Plasma sucked.

Ash

Arcane
More uninteresting stuff, but bear with me for the time being:

t9bng9.jpg

1267e3n.jpg

The augmentation has a stats window now too. Style 1, style 2, or neither, Codex? Click the images for larger size.

In style 2, those bars fluctuate based on energy usage and some other things. The stats themselves are nice primarily because you can see how much energy is being drained cumulatively between all active augs, as well as the time you have in seconds before your energy bar is fully depleted. The inventory goes deep into stats so its good to have more elsewhere. Personally I like style 2, which IS in a style closely related to the vanilla design, but I'm no artist and it's probably a bit shit so I'm ready to fall back on a plain text list of stats as in image 1 if necessary. If you think they're all not up to scratch, make a suggestion.

There's also a new "Deactivate All" button as well as some new aug cosmetics which are very nice, which I'll show soon in that video I promised.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Never mind the slight brightness/color difference between the images, I was using the wrong render when I took the first shot and couldn't be bothered to recompile the code and switch back to retake the shot.

Ash

Arcane
Given that the vanilla stylization for the stats window in the inventory is basically just a plain text list of stats (albeit neatly formatted), and considering that I'm not a texture artist despite giving it a try to make some of those aesthetics, and given that, of course, this mod is all about fitting in to the original design, I'll probably just go for plain text and closely match the formatting of that in the inventory shot above, and scrap everything else. Knowing when to scrap shit makes for good design.

But there's two positive responses and one neutral, so maybe it is worth keeping...I don't know :/

Maybe I'll keep the status bars and blend it with style 1. It's the display in the middle I don't like, but that's mostly because I don't think it matches the font and there's unnecessary spacing.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
By the way is there any more stats I could add? Got to go all-in like with the weapons but I can't think of anything else that's actually relevant. What there is is enough, but as a player I like loads of the minute details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom