Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good console exclusive FPS

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I really liked the Conduit, its on the Wii, and as far as i know the Wii&Gamecube are easy to emulate.

rohand

Cipher
Cant be of much help to you since I can't aim with a controller for the life of me

A question though: do you mind really old console FPSes?
Zero Tolerance for the mega drive had a special charm to me back when I was a kid
It had this haunting atmosphere, accomplished with graphics that maybe didn't age well today (main problem is the really tiny play screen).
I do like them though.

92595-zero-tolerance-genesis-screenshot-lots-of-baddies-guard-the.gif

619814-zero-tolerance-genesis-screenshot-now-i-have-trouble.png

Delbaeth

Learned
Not really a console exclusive, but the PC and console differ so much that you should consider them as complete different games: Powerslave (US) or Exhumed (EU) on PS and SS.
Both console versions were very similar, except that PS was 'censored' with little red spiders which explode like tomatoes, replaced by blue scorpions. And few levels changed too. The SS was a bit more difficult (especially the last boss which was a joke in PS version), and it included the grenade jump which was absent in PS version.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some dudes on internet recommends Resistance 3 as pretty oldskoolish fps, trve?
Not old school by any means, but the first one I found to be a serviceable shooter with co-op. Felt like a sci-fi version of early Call of Duty/Medal of Honor with a bit of Timesplitters (again the co-op) thrown in for good measure. On the plus side, you could actually use every weapon instead of just the 2 weapon limit, which I guess why people might've said "OMG SO OLD SCHOOL". Same goes for the third one, not the second.

The first was kinda hard on later difficulties, but I blame that on playing it in middle school (reminder, the first one came out 11 years ago) so YMMV.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Naturally, PC shooters are king overall for customisation. mod content and somewhat more accurate control, but there's numerous console exclusive/initially console exclusive shooters worth a look if you aren't a giant ignorant faggot. You've just got to look to the old school much as you must with PC.

Black was good back then (beside pad control obviously) but now I wouldn't stomach it. Looks fugly and enemies are bullet sponges. If that was on PC I could just headshot them all but with pad? Hehehehnah.
I tried first Timesplitter, didn't played long because enemies spawning behind me. Shit.

Black was never particularly good. Playable perhaps, but never anything notable.

Timesplitters 2 is a work of art, the best console FPS to date that I know about.

That would be the first two Turok games, Doom 64, or Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. All of which have since seen ports to PC for those that may want to try them.
the TS games were fun, but not up there with the true greats...at least in terms of a singleplayer campaign. The fun in TS came from its sheer diversity of game modes and playing dumb mini-games, many of which weren't even FPS gameplay (monkey curling, anyone?). But it was never exceptional in any of those one game modes including the campaign, what should be the true meat and bones.

Has console anything to offer for bored PC player?

Yes. But it depends if you are also open to third person shooters (not braindead cover shooters) as to how many you could discover that are worthwhile. The vast majority of good FPS on consoles out there were PC-first and then ported to consoles, or were multiplatform, but there are some games worth any shooter fan's time that also still hold up (Goleneye = Doesn't hold up and was never that great to begin with compared to other N64 counterparts. Doom 64 = does. Especially with the PC port). I'd recommend checking out previous recommended FPS/TPS type threads here, where I and others recommended both PC and console FPS/TPS.

Last edited:
Goldeneye is one of those games I wish I played while they were fresh.

It was barely playable even back then.

1997 gave us Quake 2, Turok, Jedi Knight, Blood, Shadows Warrior, Last Rites, Redneck Rampage, Doom 64 - Goldeneye is just a laughing stock comparing to any of these.

Now they are releasing another remaster for nu-Xbone and fanbase went apeshit like it was best geam ever.

Ash

Arcane
You'll see recommendations for:

Halo
Timesplitters
Black
Medal of Honor
Goldeneye
Killzone
Project: Snowblind
Metroid Prime
Alien Resurrection
The Darkness
Turok: Evolution

Just say no! I played them all, there isn't many FPS I have not, and while each is not without merit, even Black, Halo and Goldeneye, they're just not up to par as singleplayer campaigns and never were. Marketing + accessibility is a hell of a drug to an unknowledgeable player.

Turok
Turok 2
Doom 64
Alien Trilogy (if you can handle pre-1995 aiming methods e.g no mouselook)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners (if you don't mind that it's only in-part an FPS)

That's all I can recommend for console-exclusive FPS. And again, each and every one later received PC versions. If you really want to deep dive I'd maybe recommend a couple more, but you'd be lowering your standards.

The one that pains me the most to disregard is Medal of Honor (1999), as that game set a standard that I judge all singleplayer military FPS by, w/amazing atmosphere, Steven Spielberg + Dreamworks educational storytelling with high production values, epic orchestrated soundtrack when that was fresh, and even aspects of the gameplay is *not terrible* by military FPS standards (e.g 4 weapon limit, no regen health, level design is not complex but is more interesting than most mil shooters), sadly it isn't enough in the gameplay department (I wouldn't recommend ANY military FPS for this same reason unless you count STALKER & RTCW as one) and it controls terribly.

Consoles are actually more notable for third person shooters. Not popamole like Gears of War, I'm talking more Max Payne era.

Last edited:

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I felt like Perfect Dark on the n64 wasn't bad at the time. I doubt it holds up well at all today but they had very customizable multiplayer and bots which Halo didn't have even though it was on much more powerful hardware. I played a lot of slow mo multiplayer with friend to try and capture that Matrix vibe from that time.

Machocruz

Arcane
I played Perfect Dark again a few years ago. It was still fun and the weapon selection still slaps, but outside of the latter it has little to offer that other games don't and have done better (and I don't mean Timesplitters, although they are decent).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom