Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good games you can enjoy without mods

Don Peste

Arcane
You need mods to play System Shock, Mount & Blade series, Fallout series, Stalker series, Elder Scrolls series, all the Troika games, etc. Or at least most people would say to play them properly. This happens specially with RPGs.

But what good™ games can be enjoyed without spending hours and hours searching for mods, mod loaders, patches, fixes, and guides with patches and fixes (And in the end uninstalling everything)? Edit: New games that "mods will fix" don't count.

thanks!

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Assuming you don't mean only RPG's then here are some games you can enjoy without mods ( not including patches/unofficial fixes; wherever applicable ):-
- Mafia City Of Lost Heaven
- Ghost Recon ( 2001 )
- Hidden and Dangerous 2
- No one lives forever series
- Freedom Fighters
- Hitman 2
- Silent Storm
- Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
- Arx Fatalis
- Far Cry 1/2
- Max Payne 1
- SWAT 3

Sothpaw

Learned
You need mods to play System Shock

Not anymore you don't. https://af.gog.com/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300 I finished the game and it is really well done.

There are really a ton of games that can be enjoyed without mods. I'll list a few by genre.

ARPG:
Grim Dawn
Titan Quest

FPS:
Doom 3 BFG edition (Doom 1, Doom 2, No Rest for the Living)
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
Half Life 2

RTS (single player campaign):
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War (entire series)
Starcraft 2 (and both expansions)

MOBA:
HOTS
DOTA 2

Souls Games:
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3 (in April)

Last edited by a moderator:

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas? It can be played perfectly fine without mods.
Vampire the Masquerades Bloodlines. Patches are a must, but it has no need for mods.
Icewind Dale series.
King of Dragon Pass
Silent Storm series and Hammer & Sickle.
Prince of Qin
Startopia
etc...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Third Stalker title - Call of Pripyat - is totally playable without mods.
Yet people still recommend Complete mod for it because that's the only mod they know.

baturinsky

Arcane
Sengoku Rance
If you read Japan

The game that I play without mods for hundreds of hours is ToME4.
Most amazing fact is that I have managed to do this without getting any better in it. I have just died 4th time on Marauder at level 18.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Being serious, barring modern system incompatibilities, every good game ever. I mean, it had to be playable and good enough for modding interest to exist in the first place.

Mustawd

Can count the times I've played with mods on one hand. Never really been a necessoty for me tbh.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Recently the shadowrun games were perfectly fine without mods, underrail Is still without any mods, AoD doesn't have any mods.

Sjukob

Arcane
I would also add The witcher series to the list , although I don't recommend to play the third one .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom