Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Good storyfag RPGs

Rev

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas Storyfag power level: :2/5:, Old World Blues and Dead Money::3/5:, Honest Hearts::2/5:, Lonesome road::2/5:
Honest Hearts was better than Old World Blues imo.
Nope.
I agree with persianronin, HH>OWB.
Crazy pre war doctors turned robots written by Avellone > shitty tribals, HH was full of fetch quests, had a shitty ending, Joshuam Graham had an interesting backstory but doesn't do anything interesting in the game, what is becomming typical of Obsidian games lately, the tribes were "insert generic amerind sounding tribe here" only thing that saves it was the Survivalist Diaries that are indeed interesting but the rest of the content was mediocre. The premise was great but the execution was a disappointment.
Old World Blues is bad, though. The design is terrible, all you do to advance the plot is fighting legions of trash mobs. The dialogues were funny at first but they weren't so much after the 20th recycled penis joke and, in general, the tone is too over the top for a Fallout game (it's just like New Reno compared to Fallout 1, completely out of place).
HH is not amazing but it's okay at least, and it doesn't bore you with hp bloats every 20 meters that.
Dead Money is great, tho.

Turrul

Augur
Fallout New Vegas Storyfag power level: :2/5:, Old World Blues and Dead Money::3/5:, Honest Hearts::2/5:, Lonesome road::2/5:
Honest Hearts was better than Old World Blues imo.
Nope.
I agree with persianronin, HH>OWB.
Crazy pre war doctors turned robots written by Avellone > shitty tribals, HH was full of fetch quests, had a shitty ending, Joshuam Graham had an interesting backstory but doesn't do anything interesting in the game, what is becomming typical of Obsidian games lately, the tribes were "insert generic amerind sounding tribe here" only thing that saves it was the Survivalist Diaries that are indeed interesting but the rest of the content was mediocre. The premise was great but the execution was a disappointment.
Old World Blues is bad, though. The design is terrible, all you do to advance the plot is fighting legions of trash mobs. The dialogues were funny at first but they weren't so much after the 20th recycled penis joke and, in general, the tone is too over the top for a Fallout game (it's just like New Reno compared to Fallout 1, completely out of place).
HH is not amazing but it's okay at least, and it doesn't bore you with hp bloats every 20 meters that.
Dead Money is great, tho.

New Reno was GOAT in terms of design, especially factions: You had various factions that interacted between each other and the rest of the world. Mordino's Jet manufacturing for Redding, Salvatore's secret deal with Enclave for extra firepower against other families , Bishop playing political chess with NCR and Vault City etc. Yeah, its style was out of place but it fit like a puzzle piece apart from that. Comparing it with OWB is pretty unfair.

I disliked OWB's humour as a guy who thinks F2 was better than 1 and totally fine with F2's blatant pop culture references. Also, it was somewhat tedious unless you used energy weapons or melee.

Since this thread is for storyfags, the dlc with survivalist logs triumphs.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Nobody ever picks Dead State, it’s the France of RPGs. Yes the game is rougher than a sandpaper speedo, but it’s got choice, it’s got good world-building, and anyone can die at any time.

Rev

Arcane
New Reno was GOAT in terms of design, especially factions: You had various factions that interacted between each other and the rest of the world. Mordino's Jet manufacturing for Redding, Salvatore's secret deal with Enclave for extra firepower against other families , Bishop playing political chess with NCR and Vault City etc. Yeah, its style was out of place but it fit like a puzzle piece apart from that. Comparing it with OWB is pretty unfair.

I disliked OWB's humour as a guy who thinks F2 was better than 1 and totally fine with F2's blatant pop culture references. Also, it was somewhat tedious unless you used energy weapons or melee.

Yes, I agree that New Reno has some solid design and is fun to play, I also liked it when I first played it. It's just that its tone is completely different from the rest of the Fallout world, especially the one we saw in the first game. I only compared it with OWB only because they both feel out of place and incohorent vs the rest of the setting.

Turrul

Augur

Yes, I agree that New Reno has some solid design and is fun to play, I also liked it when I first played it. It's just that its tone is completely different from the rest of the Fallout world, especially the one we saw in the first game. I only compared it with OWB only because they both feel out of place and incohorent vs the rest of the setting.

It's not just New Reno, tone was all over the place in F2. At least it's not as retarded as fucking Mortal Kombat San Francisco.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nobody ever picks Dead State, it’s the France of RPGs. Yes the game is rougher than a sandpaper speedo, but it’s got choice, it’s got good world-building, and anyone can die at any time.
In turn, the writing is stiff and the characters are pretty one-note. The world-building isn't exactly good either, due to the fact that the whole zombies shtick has been done to death - though it was a good attempt at least.

D!!

Educated
LISA is absolutely phenomenal storywise.
Other good choices are:
Mask of the Betrayer
Fallout: New Vegas + all 4 DLC's (complete Ulysses story)
Shadowrun series from HBS

For the good amount of C&C I would recommend fantastic Wasteland 2 Director's Cut and all three classic Fallout games (1,2,NV)

Goromorg

Savant
How good is MotB compared to KotOR2 for example? How much trash combat does MotB contain?
Maybe I'll give it a go, I think I have a disc with NWN2 somewhere...

Doktor Best

Arcane
I am here to mention the Witcher series. Especially the c&c is interesting, as consequences are not a binary predictable outcome of choice that is all too well informed, but rather more an chaotic avalanche that often leads to outcomes you could not predict.

Also the atmosphere of the setting is pretty unique as it simply delivers this alternate form of fantasy that is more based on slavic folklore in its unfiltered form.

if a bit racist towards asian people.
wat

There was a major outcry at the release of Jade Empire because the storyline is basically asian racial clichees lined up in a chain. Cultural appropiation, overstylized and unrealistic depiction of asian culture, bla bla. Those people should fuck off though, its fucking fantasy. A pop culture product. Look at Hollywood or music industry, its full of that stuff. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 1-2, KOTOR 2, Witcher 1-3, New Vegas, Dragonfall, Geneforge, ADWR NWN module :smug:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even better is:

517C7RAQ9WL.jpg

Never got used to them foreign covers, looks nowt like Lone Wolf o Gary Chalk.

That's the original First Edition cover IIRC

Not in England wi had original Gary Chalk drawin same as illustrations in book, Lone Wolf's dressed in green wi his hood up in a forest, foot on dead Giak, same as miniature Citadel brought out.

lonewolf01bs.jpg

Sykar

Arcane
Fallout 3

The timeless tale of a young African American trying to find their long lost father, who is a self taught scientist trying to find a way to turn toxic waste into water crack cocaine.

Want to see the other side?

Play Fallout 4 where you take on the role of the delinquent father and try to find your long lost son who has done far more with their life than you. Your only recourse is to murder him.

The child was quite the genius coming up with really intelligent inquiries to find out his or her father's whereabouts!
Fallout32009-12-3117-18-41-27.jpg

janior

Arcane
Patron
Being a storyfag is wrong way to go. There aren't many good stories told in rpgs. It's better to look for good gameplay, persianronin.
I use to be a storyfag like you, but then i took a codex in my asshole.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Being a storyfag is wrong way to go. There aren't many good stories told in rpgs. It's better to look for good gameplay, persianronin.

I'm mostly a combatfag. But playing different kinds of RPG can be entertaining .
The Codex is actually a storyfag forum. Most loved games here are PS:T and Fallout which are not famous because of their gameplay... :M

janior

Arcane
Patron

I'm mostly a combatfag. But playing different kinds of RPG can be entertaining .
but men, if u played like 5 of those 'storyfag' rpgs, that means u played everything good, theres nothing more, really

Skall

Learned

Hah hah, that is fantastic.

As for games with decent stories that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd suggest checking out some of the Ultimas. Ultima VII/Serpent Isle in particular; not for the plot itself, but rather for how well the story was weaved into the gameworld.

The Fellowship held masses that you could attend, and what they preached wasn't that much crazier than strict adherence to the virtues. If I recall correctly, villagers discussed the fellowship and converting to it, but there were seedy elements to it as well like the Serpent Venom drug-market and the erosion of magic. The Guardian and Batlin were pretty mustache-twirling from the get-go, but how their schemes were integrated was very well realized.

Serpent Isle was more focused on intricate stories contained within each area: the power struggles of the mages of Moonshade, the idol-worshiping cult of Fawn, etc. However, the Ophidian civilization's remains stood out as a great bit of environmental storytelling. Various damaged scrolls required manual translating, ancient ruins were littered with broken automatons and snake iconography, and the Silver Seed expansion allowed an intriguing sneak peek at an older point in the civilization's history.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OUR PHALLIC COCKLUST IS AT ITS ZENITH AS WE BATHE AND MARINATE IN THE PLETHORA OF LUST FILLED LASCIVIOUS PENIS POWERS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom