Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graphics whore thread - serious decline in videogame graphics since 2007

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Remember when graphics whore used to be a huge insult? A time when a person who bought big fancy rigs to play the latest game on highest settings was considered to be a decadent peasant who was sending games back by making looks more important than the game?

My my, I have not heard graphics whore even tossed around as an insult anymore. You don't even hear it.

Why?

Because there has not been a game in the last 7 years that seriously pushed technology to the next level. Starting 2008 onwards, videogame graphics were sent 5 years back.

There was a time when some games had looks as a redeeming factor. Now even looks are not there to compensate for repetitive or lackluster gameplay.

Pre-2007
257787-half-life-2-episode-two-windows-screenshot-an-abandoned-russian.jpg

221259.jpg

prey130805_3.jpg

Crysis2010-08-2219-41-40-31.jpg

Post-2007
1388d1227282251-fallout-3-screenshots-fo3022.jpg

Halo-3-PC.jpg

433374-bioshock-2-xbox-360-screenshot-hypnotize-on-the-highest-level.jpg

homefront-1.jpg

Tribes-Ascend-3.jpg

The most flattering thing you can say is that graphics have plateaued.

But if we have to be terribly honest, there were games released in 2007 that look much better than many games released now.

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-17_9-56-2.jpeg
    upload_2014-12-17_9-56-2.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 274

Starwars

Arcane
Reminds me, I should actually replay Crysis sometime now. That game was a pretty damn good time up until the retardation with the aliens hit. Was Crysis Warhead any good? Never played that one.

There are some extremely good looking games released recently though. Metro and Alien Isolation comes to mind.

have to agree

the only discernable improvement in the last few years have been the propensity of old school remakes/imaginings [grimrock, underrail et al] with nice graphics

imo

wasnt metro meant to be pretty pretty?

edit: ninjad

Dexter

Arcane
Those are some pretty selective Screenshots. Also if you want to push your rig and graphics, try out VR.

Multi-headed Cow

Df2_firstperson.jpg

unreal-tournament-3-screenshot-3.jpg

Oh my stars and whiskers

Edit: Wait a minute I knew Delta Force 2 wasn't 2006 Mobygames you piece of shit. And UT3 was only 2008 on some consoles, it was 2007 on PC. Fucking Mobygames.

There's some 2006

4.jpg

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't that QTE the Game? Just like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy?

sser

Arcane
Developer
A little bit of diminishing returns, and a little bit of consoleitis. I absolutely think the envelope stopped getting pushed around 2006/07 when damn near every game became multi-platform.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I want to punch you in the face for saying Tribes: Ascend had shit graphics.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
^ Not saying DAI isn't ugly as fuck, but at least compare PC Twitcher with the PC version of DAI instead of PS3

^ Not saying DAI isn't ugly as fuck, but at least compare PC Twitcher with the PC version of DAI instead of PS3

Exactly, that way he can make screenshots at lowest settings and 640x480 resolution to be even more edgy. Missed opportunity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom