Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Unfortunately rather churlish. Changing the review after 80 hours is reviewing the developer not the game. It looks like the Official Codex Review is going to be compromised for reasons that have little to do with the game.
Game is being sold as finished. It isn't. That's 100% about the game AND abut the developer that's lying to his clients.

I love drinking butthurt tears of bitchy ban-baby sorrow from my giant golden cup of win and excellence. FelipePepe, you're doubtless a person of no small stature in Brazil but here where flush toilets actually function you are just a tiny, tiny unreadable name from the BANNED admin page for Grimoire. The world will roll on without you and nobody will care about your ability to get yourself banned claiming to work for Golden Era Games and issuing press statements on our behalf. Please don't get yourself any more overstimulated than you already have. Your review reversal was swamped by the falling tonnage that piled onto Grimoire last night. Soon your existence will be a backwash deeply buried in the apocalypse of victory of the next couple refinements of Grimoire. In thirty days people will be trying to remember exactly who FelipePepe was - "wasn't he that guy that spazzed on the Grimoire forums and got banned?" My rich laughter from my Olympian mountain retreat will echo down as the janitors at Valve slowly sweep your desiccated bones into a waiting empty crypt at the Samhain Mausoleum. "CLAIMED CLEVE SAID GRIMOIRE WAS TOTALLY BROKEN."

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Sorry, felipepepe, but I can't take that seriously given the well publicised spat between you and Cleve. If I want to buy the game I want to know about the game
The game is so unbalanced that it cannot possibly be called "finished". How's that not about the game? That's exactly the same opinion I held before all this drama - it's what got me banned in the first place.

Anyway, the review is finished. The staff decides what to do.

/\
|
(FINISHED THE GAME MULTIPLE ENDINGS OVER 100+ HOURS USING EXPLOITS)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Edit: Also Cleve is probably somewhat, or extremely, paranoid. So he probably thinks EA is a scam and therefore would be likely to believe everyone would think he is scamming them if he released the game in EA. Even if that is not the case, psychological projection is incredibly powerful even for people who are aware of how powerful it is.

:updatedmytxt:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's another bug/quirk I noticed in combat:
> If a character lands a killing blow on the final enemy in the front row group and gains extra bonus attacks - they lose all the bonus attacks when the second row of enemies move forward. The next character in the party takes his turn as normal.

I assumed this was intended. That essentially all targeting is only applicable to a group and not a row. In other words there is no overflow between groups and that melee extra attacks are essentially equivalent to row based AOE.

From what I experienced ( and please someone correct me if I'm wrong ) the targeting is not working properly - let's say there are 2 enemies worm in row 1 and rat in row 2, you assign all melee to row 1 and all casters to nuke row 2 then combat starts melee kills the worm in row 1 all your spells will miss because row 2 is now row 1. If you tell everyone to nuke the worm in 1 then no one will miss its target even if the worm dies they will all switch to the rat. That's why I always go for row 1 in combat...

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So, would you recommend a restaurant that serves good food ever even if the chef insulted you and kicked you out for suggesting the steak was too salty?

That's actually not that uncommon in the world of haute cuisine, believe it or not.

What about running around in his restaurant claiming you had overheard the chef saying the steak was too salty? That's called a Manhattan landing when you get thrown out because they make sure it is head first.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Stop the cucking, you would have been screaming about censorship and watching trolls reviewbomb the game with glee if any other developer was doing this

Other people manage to criticize Grimoire just fine without getting banned. Because they don't put words in the auteur's mouth. I've been consistent with these views over the years http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...sponse-to-the-codex.66279/page-5#post-1861045 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ng-dumping-ground.90469/page-398#post-3550187

The review was up for two days. For the second time I added my disclaimer, "I said unbalanced, not totally broken," at which time FelipePepe stripped naked and began running around yelling that Cleve didn't know what he thought of his own game, joined by a Brazilian rent boy friend of his who began shrieking the entire thing was a scam. I have banned people for far less. Two days it was up.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
So, would you recommend a restaurant that serves good food ever even if the chef insulted you and kicked you out for suggesting the steak was too salty?

That's actually not that uncommon in the world of haute cuisine, believe it or not.

What about running around in his restaurant claiming you had overheard the chef saying the steak was too salty? That's called a Manhattan landing when you get thrown out because they make sure it is head first.

But the chef did say the amount of salt in the steak was unbalanced

Covenant

Savant
It genuinely amazes me that Cleve can throw such an utterly shameless shitfit over a minor semantics issue after 'MAY 2013 WITH OR WITHOUT ENHANCEMENT'.

I mean, there's brass neck, and then there's whatever this is. I honestly don't know whether to be impressed or afraid.

All we can do is pray he never goes into politics.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
A steam forum ban doesn't affect the game's quality in the slightest, I couldn't care less, it bears no mentioning in any review or rating of Grimoire.
It has not been mentioned in any official reviews in any publication that I know of.

Well that was your distinction, not mine. He's changed his steam rating and is visibly unhinged and clearly in no state to fairly judge the game. I'm wary that any further interactions he has with Grimoire or Cleve will result in guest appearances on The Weary Adventurer. Possibly his own channel.

This is FelipePepe's future. Sitting naked on a barren talk show set with naked Baxander that looks like it was left over from Mike Douglas Hour talking about Grimoire's creator. Fourteen views on YouTube, thirteen from Baxander's mom. Set is clearly somewhere in the middle of the Arizona desert.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Shelach's the single enemy that I resorted to Deep Freeze for
How were you able to use Deep Freeze on her? She always nullified both Deep Freeze from my mage and from Bard's lyre. Maybe Cleve changed that.

The possibility that any monster may still be susceptible to insta-kill spells has to be left in. Some of the monsters may require 100-to-1 shot but it might be worth taking, like the BEAST OF A 1000 EYES in Wizardry 7.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Say what you want about Cleve but he can sure bring the bantz to his enemies...

Anyway, I was wondering how come people that finished the game only reached level 10. Out of all the bosses, I've only killed Hobknob so far and finished exploring his pit and I'm level 5 with everyone but my necro.
As I understand, that's really really early in the game but I'm already halfway through to the level 10 mark.

I know the exp requirements grow bigger and bigger but I still find it hard to believe that with 80-90% of the game left to go I can't gain more than the number of levels I've gained so far...

Edit: to clarify I've not touched the water in the pit and have not descended to the lower level just explored the regular pit.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I just wanted to correct the record on what one poster said about David Bradley completing his game W7 in less than twenty years. D.W. Bradley had the full support of Sir-Tech, confessed at the court hearing he was simply building on code already heavily debugged by Woodhead and Greenberg, had at least thirty people working on the game with him including a full office staff waiting on him hand and foot and took nearly three years to complete this Wizardry despite it being a mere enhancement of Wizardry 6.

Comparing with me. I have apparently built a game which will soon be recognised as vastly superior to all previous Wizardry games working completely alone while supporting my family and myself by holding down multiple contracts over the course of 20 years, never faltering in my determination to finish the game even if I did have layoffs at times. I started the game with one simple act. I wrote a "hello world" in WATCOM and compiled it. Then I began adding to that. Everything followed on by me adding to that original hello world which to this day components of are still visible in a file called "mainapp.cpp" in the source base. I thought of every single mistake I made building that crap Stones of Arnhem in a sweaty panic at breakneck speed and avoided each and every one of them. This is called second system syndrome. It is a desire to completely rebuild some new system avoiding one's older designs altogether and only pursuing perfection this time around.

No comparison. One is a very talented and enthusiastic game author working on a game with an entire team of game developers and complete financial and cultural support like any other computer game and the other guy is a mythological superhero similar to the sort we see depicted in marble statues and mosaics throughout the world defeating entire armies of men singlehandedly, changing the course of mighty rivers, running faster than a speeding locomotive and catching bullets in his teeth and spears bouncing off his titanium bones. Ordinary people think everything is easy until they try it themselves and they realise that given ten thousand thousand years they still could never complete such a herculean task on their own.

FelipePepe is doing a swayback and whining that Deep Freeze is overpowered and some of the areas are rather sparse. He doesn't know what he is playing or how it came into existence and has not even plumbed the game to it's depths yet. All those seeming loose ends you encounter in the game (the entire Paragon quest for example) that appears like it was part of something much bigger will very shortly be obviously part of something much bigger. The game came out when it did because the bipolar mania and public epileptic seizures about the game were scaring me. It was almost complete and I thought slightly less than perfect was enough to release it. I was right.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Anyway, I was wondering how come people that finished the game only reached level 10. Out of all the bosses, I've only killed Hobknob so far and finished exploring his pit and I'm level 5 with everyone but my necro.
As I understand, that's really really early in the game but I'm already halfway through to the level 10 mark.

I know the exp requirements grow bigger and bigger but I still find it hard to believe that with 80-90% of the game left to go I can't gain more than the number of levels I've gained so far...

Edit: to clarify I've not touched the water in the pit and have not descended to the lower level just explored the regular pit.

A second edit of the experience table attempted to correct the excesses of the beta test in 2005 with people topping out level 27 when reaching the end of the game. In retrospect, that original table was probably more accurate the first time and I should have left it alone.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Maybe it was because Bradley actually worked instead of shipost.

It's almost as if I had a point...

You don't know what you are talking about. Stop getting butthurt about you and your Brazilian koko dancer friend getting banned for going nuts on the forum. Face it, I corrected you the second time and you lost it. You just went crazy and started going nuts .... OVER A COMPUTER GAME. It's the Neanderthal effect. Already unstable people can collapse around Neanderthals, they were only hanging by a thread mentally to begin with. You were claiming you knew better than I did what I said. Obviously, I never said Grimoire was "totally broken." You say that is feedback, I say you need to grow up. Criticizing the game is one thing, telling the author on his own forum he doesn't know what he said gets you banned. You must have thought you were such a special snowflake you could do anything without reprisal. I've banned many people for far less. Don't need the drama sweetheart just try to settle down. Getting yourself hysterical.

Lord Andre

Arcane

A second edit of the experience table attempted to correct the excesses of the beta test in 2005 with people topping out level 27 when reaching the end of the game. In retrospect, that original table was probably more accurate the first time and I should have left it alone.

Oh well, since I'm a slow player maybe I'll catch some balance patches as I'm progressing through the game...

Tigranes

Arcane
Shelach's the single enemy that I resorted to Deep Freeze for
How were you able to use Deep Freeze on her? She always nullified both Deep Freeze from my mage and from Bard's lyre. Maybe Cleve changed that.

The possibility that any monster may still be susceptible to insta-kill spells has to be left in. Some of the monsters may require 100-to-1 shot but it might be worth taking, like the BEAST OF A 1000 EYES in Wizardry 7.

The second time I tried the Deep Freeze scroll with my necromancer, Incantation ~60, it worked out. I didn't know if I was supposed to get that lucky? It was nullified the first time and then my party was later gobbled up.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

But the chef did say the amount of salt in the steak was unbalanced

You finally enter the golden era restaurant, you have been on the waiting list for years! Looking at the other customers you see some esteemed members of society. A monocoled waiter approaches. on the menu you see some stinking donuts but this is not why you came here.
In bold letters you see a 40$ steak, with a picture so juicy your mouth starts to water. You hear the chef yelling from the back "Order the steak! I have been growing this cow for years! it is much better than McDonnalds or the other shit you have been eating all those years"
You tell the waiter "steak please, I already paid 100$ years ago! here is my coupon". The minutes go by the dozens, you look at the customers, some are eating donuts, some are sleeping, then someone yells "I am done waiting, I'll go eat somewhere else!" and leaves.
You hear the chef yelling "And don't come back! this place is not for you! you don't deserve to eat this fine piece of steak! it is the greatest steak ever made!!! "
Hours have passed... the smell is great and you are so hungry! "ITZ COMING!!!" you hear from the back. time passes, you start to wonder if the steak will ever come out... why do I stay you think to yourself? then you recall the free small samples they handed outside and your resolve grows.
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..... "It's here mister wake up!" Can it be true? did my steak arrive? you look at the plate "ITZ HERE!" you take a bite and starts to chew... "God I am so hungry this is so great... wait is that a bug?!" you spit the steak and crash to the bathroom.
You return to your sit and call the waiter. "Sorry mister no reason to get so fussed up, here is a new steak." You take another bite, you calm down, you chew... "WTF another bug?, I demand to see the chef!", you get up and go to the kitchen and yell at the chef "This steak is horrible, I cant eat it like this!"
"Don't worry sir, here is a new steak, go back please", you go back to your sit, but your chair and table disappeared! "WTF happened to my sit?!" "Sorry sir, you'll have to return tomorrow and make a new order, free of charge" after some shouting and arguing you give up and leave.
A new day arrives, you return and start over. You take a bite and chew, the aroma is great, the texture is nearly perfect but the taste is kind of strange... you go to the chef "Execuse me but why is there so much salt in the steak?"
The chef says he knows the amount of salt is unbalanced but promises eventually the next steaks will taste real good! you go back to your place you finish the steak quickly. Some new customers arrive. "Is the steak really good?" they ask.
"It has great potential but even the chef said he totally messed up with the salt". Out of nowhere the chef comes storming out of the kitchen,a big gorilla like man, with veins popping in his forehead he grabs you firmly and tosses you out of the resteraunt.
"YOU CAN KEEP YOUR STINKING MONEY AND DON'T YOU EVER COME BACK HERE, I NEVER SAID ANY OF THAT YOU PATHETIC EXUSE OF A HUMAN BEING". you are waiting for him to give you your money back but he just slams the door.
"NO STEAK FOR YOU!"

:negative:

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] Just now
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

I was originally sitting on the fence about this topic.

Reading over this thread carefully, I have realized I want to avoid ever putting ANY cheevos or trading cards into Grimoire for any reason UNTIL I have taken care of all the actually important stuff first. There is literally nothing less important to me in my to-do list than achievements and trading cards. These things are the devils tools of decline.

:positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom