Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Hero-U Kickstarter, from the creators of Quest for Glory

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1965033

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tramboigender: ⚧ Savant

Tramboi
    Parrots:
    "Other games in the series"... I'd love to be as optimistic.
    But if they get the engine right and stop being so volatile about technology, they might be able to produce a good series.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Invictusgender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Quest for Glory is one of my favorite series from my childhood and seeing the Coles have so much problems to make this new project come through... the graphics look lovely and I sincerly hope this comes through

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Andhairagender: ⚧ Arcane

Andhaira
    Parrots:
    From Kickstarter comments page:

:retarded:

Just quoting for posterity as we all know how this story is going to end.

[​IMG]

Infinitron

• Despair x 6
    • Funny x 4
    • decline x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Since I view Hero-U as nothing but a tragedy for all parties, that part of the post doesn't interest me much. But this part does. Maybe it's old news (Blackthorne?), but I hadn't seen it before. Sierra built an adventure game empire on the back of reusable engines: AGI (up until KQ4?) and SCI (up until SQ6?). For the most part, the games used these two engines (albeit with variants) with two basic mechanics (parser then verb bar), which meant that not only could the development crews start with a grounding in the engines, they could also (I assume?) share resources and tips and tricks. And players knew more or less how to play every Sierra game of an era if they'd played any one of them.

Then abruptly they decide each of their games needs a bespoke engine nothing like the old ones, none of them playing like the others?! Why?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Aeschylusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    SCI was actually used up until 1996, for Phantasmagoria 2, Lighthouse, and Rama, just FYI.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Taluntaingender: ⚧ Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Parrots:
    More liek Zero-U, amirite? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Boleskinegender: ⚧ Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ion/comments?cursor=18225578#comment-18225577

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DeepOceangender: ⚧ Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Jesus Christ, the hype for this one will be big or just kill me with disappoint, hope is a good game and the Coles aren't thinking on retiring again and if they keep making games, that the next one don't be this hard, I would enjoy a few good adventure games to come.

^ Top  
  10. Pope Amole IIgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Pope Amole II
    Parrots:
    I don't think there will be any hype for this. Quest for Glory is pretty much forgotten by now, the game will probably be rather ugly by the indie standards and I kinda doubt that the gameplay will be any good. QFGs always had excellent concept and atmosphere, but gameplay-wise they were pretty crude. You understand this once you play that QfG 2 fan remaster where the stuff is actually polished.

Given that they've missed the golden spot for release (by several years, at the very least), this will probably be a rather silent trainwreck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Lets keep calm and think positively guys, the game is definitely 100% coming!

^ Top  
  12. V_Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Huh? QfG2 (and I've only played the remake) is like the weakest of the bunch because of stupid timed events. It's far, far behind QfG1&4.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Everything about that update makes me uncomfortable. It's like an Aaronfsky movie writ small. Each of these statements is either candid or deceptive, and I'm not sure which is more horrific.

(1) The Coles are putting themselves in line for bankruptcy.
    (2) Their coder has spent ~2 months on bug reporting. Not on reported bugs. On the reporting itself.
    (3) "[W]e hope ... players [will] feel is if they are participating in an interactive film, not just playing a game."
    (4) "I don't see how we could have done this much faster."
    (5) "I have zero guilt."

I really hope the game delivers -- road to redemption, indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Barbariangender: ⚧ Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    But why?

With a limited budget and time constraints they could very well shoot for something like QfG1, a self-contained masterpiece with a few good hours of gameplay and tons of replay value. Yet they go overboard.

Anyway, it is not that these old sierra guys forgot how to develop and design games. Not at all. The thing is that they never learned how to produce games. We love to badmouth "the suits" but there was a good reason why even in the old days sucessfull companies needed competent people to take care of budgeting, schedule, marketing and sales.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Did Sierra really have great producers and "suits"? Or did they just have the inertia of an established template set by their earliest games and a modesty forced by technical limitations?

I think what they meant by "interactive film" is that the quantity of different text responses from NPCs will be so rich that it'll feel like you're in real life (so, a live action "film") rather than in a game? That seems the only way to harmonize that statement with what comes before it.

^ Top  
  16. almondblightgender: ⚧ Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    The article in this thread does a pretty good job at showing what the Sierra system was. It doesn't surprise me that someone who could create great stuff inside that ecosystem would have trouble outside of it. For example, think about how much problem the programmers have been for Hero-U. In the Sierra system they'd get a stable programmer at the beginning, and there's a good chance they would be using an internal engine they were experienced with.

^ Top  
  17. Blackthornegender: ⚧ Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Shit happens. Let's see what happens when this eventually gets released.

My personal thoughts? The game may be fun and we might all even like it. I don't think it will be anywhere close to a financial success for them, though... the marketplace isn't too favorable at the moment. So, even if they win.... they stand to lose. It's a heavy lode.

Bt

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Financial success was never on the table, they made it clear when they first started. To be honest this sounds more and more like they were writing a "how not to" guide more than actual development.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Taluntaingender: ⚧ Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Parrots:
    This is kinda like blowing all your money on booze and hookers.

Only without any booze or hookers.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1965158

• Balanced Balanced x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  22. Boleskinegender: ⚧ Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    They've definitely made progress on the technical/visual side. The game looks fairly polished.

^ Top  
  23. mediocrepoetgender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

mediocrepoet
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Holy shit, this might actually come out and looks surprisingly decent. :iwanttobelieve:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Hereticgender: ⚧ Learned

Heretic
    Parrots:
  25. Ringhausengender: ⚧ Scholar

Ringhausen
    Parrots:
    Starting to look like an actual game.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)