Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Highest Charisma I'll ever need in PS:T?

Orderian

Literate
Hey there Codexians! Quick question for you; what is the highest Charisma I'll ever need for TNO?

I think I read somewhere it was 15 for all of the conversations that will take place in the game, is that correct? I also know that its best to keep a Friends spell on hand, but just incase...

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
You're able to get several permanent boosts to charisma, you can equip tattoos that help you out, and you can as you mentioned use a friend spell. Most of the time when you get a dialogue option for charisma, you're also able to pick a wisdom one, which is almost always the better choice. If my memory doesn't fail me, 16 is the highest charisma you'll need for dialogues.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Depends what you want to do. 20 CHA I believe is enough to get you infinite money as you can sell items back to shops for more than what you paid for them. Not that you'll need it, but breaking the game can be fun in its own right.

IIRC there are a couple options around 18 or so, but they're rare (I think mainly with Ravel).

On an unrelated note, does anyone ever feel like BG2 maybe "borrowed" a bit from PS:T structurally?

1. Wake up in a mini-dungeon with no idea what's going on. Escape.
2. Wander around a large city completing side quests, gathering companions, and trying to find out what's going on
3. Find out where you need to go next and run errands around the city to make it happen
4. Exposition and confrontation with a powerful spellcaster after making your way through a brief maze
5. Travel through some outer regions trying to both gather more info and try to find your way back
6. Return to the large city to wrap up any side quests and try to make a way to the final confrontation
7. The Final Confrontation

Not saying that BG2 was a blind rip-off of PS:T, because, I mean, the games are very different. I've just always thought it was an interesting parallel.

Orderian

Literate
Depends what you want to do. 20 CHA I believe is enough to get you infinite money as you can sell items back to shops for more than what you paid for them. Not that you'll need it, but breaking the game can be fun in its own right.

IIRC there are a couple options around 18 or so, but they're rare (I think mainly with Ravel).

Thank you :-D

Lhynn

Arcane
Hey there Codexians! Quick question for you; what is the highest Charisma I'll ever need for TNO?

I think I read somewhere it was 15 for all of the conversations that will take place in the game, is that correct? I also know that its best to keep a Friends spell on hand, but just incase...
i popped your cherry, remember that.

Orderian

Literate
Really? Need to google for details. Or maybe you have at hand the list of all the skillchecks in PST?

Turns out you can order him to "be better" in simple dialogue with him... huh, Sweet.

Snufkin

Augur
Since your companions can handle fights you probably want to be mage with support spells and your stats will end up at 8 str 8 dex 8 con 25 wis 25 inteligence and 25 charisma. Remember some quests items and tatoos will boost those stats, but general consensus is getting wisdom to 25 by any means possible, then 21 inteligence and then work on maxing charisma.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just minimise it to avoid all the "characters" dropping awful textdumps on you every five seconds. Some of that shit is worse than the poe backer content...

:shredder:

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Just minimise it to avoid all the "characters" dropping awful textdumps on you every five seconds. Some of that shit is worse than the poe backer content...

I didn't know Poe had backer content. How would that even work? Would he like insert fanfiction into the middle of his poems? Is there even Poe fanfiction? What would it be about? The backstory of the raven?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I've played the game a couple times and raised all skills to 25 at one time or another. I always thought that the description you get of hitting 25 in Charisma was worth it alone. But it's also worth it for having the max dialogue options in any situation. That's what I was really looking for, and we already know about INT and WIS. Probably wasn't worth it compared to other stats, but worth raising it up. Think you really don't get much for CHA until you get to the Lower Ward.

On an unrelated note, does anyone ever feel like BG2 maybe "borrowed" a bit from PS:T structurally?

1. Wake up in a mini-dungeon with no idea what's going on. Escape.
2. Wander around a large city completing side quests, gathering companions, and trying to find out what's going on
3. Find out where you need to go next and run errands around the city to make it happen
4. Exposition and confrontation with a powerful spellcaster after making your way through a brief maze
5. Travel through some outer regions trying to both gather more info and try to find your way back
6. Return to the large city to wrap up any side quests and try to make a way to the final confrontation
7. The Final Confrontation

Not saying that BG2 was a blind rip-off of PS:T, because, I mean, the games are very different. I've just always thought it was an interesting parallel.

Not so sure about those aspects. I's really just expanding the most popular part of BG at the time, i.e. the city, and shifting it earlier in the game - these days, fans of BG1 like it for the open exploration that was later dropped from most party-based crpgs, but at the time the general consensus was that the game picked up tremendously once you reach the city, and there was criticism of Bioware for holding back that aspect of the game until several chapters in.

I do think PS:T had a massive influence upon the more prominent use of story and voice-acting in BG2, and the generally darker tone compared to BG1. The expanded companions, with Imoen becoming central to the main quest, appears directly influenced by PS:T.

It's also the only time that Bioware has tried to subvert genre expectations instead of strictly following them. It takes the 'chosen one on an inevitable path to defeat/replace the big bad' from BG1 and countless others, and replaces it with a 'completely unrelated outsider jacks the destinies of both the chosen one and the big bad, for his own personal, and comparatively trivial ends (personal revenge on a single city v GOD OF DEATH)'. It also takes the usual 'villain sits in the end dungeon waiting for the hero to come and defeat him', and gives a pair of villains who fight the player 7 times between them over the course of the game, getting stronger and accomplishing goals as the player does. Whilst there isn't the same constant villain interaction in PS:T, I think the general idea of doing something which upends genre expectations was inspired by it, it's a very non-Bioware approach.

I'm guessing that development of the maps and structure for BG2 would have been at an advanced stage before PS:T was released, but the story and voice-acting was the last thing to go in back then. Developers would build a game and systems, and then add the story/campaign once the rest was in place (hence the popularity of expansion packs, cheaply creating a full campaign using existing systems). They would have had time to rethink that aspect upon seeing PS:T, with minimal perceived risk (story just wasn't that big a focus before BG2).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom