Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How long do you play a game before ditching it?

How long do you usually play a game before ditching it?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've noticed during my current JRPG stint that I delete games from my computer in a matter of minutes. Most of them I don't play for longer than 30 minutes, actually.

While it is true that you can usually tell whether you will like a game or not, it is also true that the more you play a game, the higher the chance it will actually grown on you and you won't stop playing it (that is, you will get through to the end sooner or later). It's important to remark that some genres require much more time investment before you realize whether you actually like the game or not. For example, JRPGs usually have long introductory sequences before the game actually picks up, whereas it is the opposite in a game like Wizardry.

I was curious to know if I'm in the minority, or the majority. So here's your poll, guys.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

KINGCOMRADE

aka don't play games​

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just for the record: Intro and menu screen may seem like a meme option, but it isn't. Sometimes I quit a game right away after seeing both, as they are usually good representatives of a game's quality, particularly the title screen, as it is a good hint of the game's overall style.

For reference, best game ever's title screen:

latest

You know it's gonna be gud.

This, on the other hand:

saga-frontier-ps1-title-74070.jpg

ABORT.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Usually between 1 and 3 hours, but if I can tell that it's gonna be garbo in the first few minutes, all the better.

mbv123

Arbiter
It's not that I ditch games because they're shit. I have a high tolerance for shitty games. It's just that I usually find something better to play so I forget about them until I look at my desktop and go "oh yeah, i was playing that a month ago". I usually never play them again, since I can't be bothered to remember all the gameplay mechanics and what was happening in the plot so they just stay there until I feel like cleaning up my PC and Desktop and uninstall them.

Vorark

Erudite
Around 2-3 hours, time enough to learn the basics. I remember when I was 15~16, people would tell me "oh, don't give up, it gets better after 20 hours!". Like, what the fuck?

Tick Tock Crocodile

Pretty sure absolutely everything I play gets at least 25 hours from me; usually more. Though, I haven't played enough games that I've really had to leave the comfort zone of my favourites or those that are thought highly of on the Codex. Over the past couple of years, I've played very few games I disliked.

sullynathan

Arcane
Around 2-3 hours, time enough to learn the basics. I remember when I was 15~16, people would tell me "oh, don't give up, it gets better after 20 hours!". Like, what the fuck?

it's like those people who claim that LOGH gets better after 26 episodes
it does but that's beside the point
I stopped watching that at around episode 75, I should definitely finish. It really isn't as good as people claim though, doesn't really compare to any high end live action T.V. show

Mustawd

It varies whwm I stop playing in a row, but I've committed to beating every game in my library because of autism.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I wish I had the discipline to finish every game I start over the course of my life its pretty ridiculous. I feel like I'm always waiting for the next game that will change my life, the next Baldur's Gate or Silent Hill 2. Like how a drug addict is always chasing their first high thats all im doing. After playing Oblivion to death I think I tried every western rpg imaginable on the xbox 360 and quit like 8 games because they didn't measure up (I was deprived then). I spend far more time now reading about games and watching gameplay than I do actually playing even though my job affords me plenty of free time and weekends.

As for how long I give a game it depends. The worst sin I commit is sometimes playing a game to the near end and then procrastinating on its completion (I don't know why I do this). Then once I feel really guilty about it im torn between picking up where I left off or starting again. Usually I keep a mental list of games I have to go back to.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have this special power that I know whether I will like a game or not, so I only play games that I know I will like. I don't ditch games after I started them.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't waste money on games I wouldn't play for more than 10 hours.

Those money are better spent on something else, like sex.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
How long do you play a game before ditching it?
None of the above.

I play through until the end... Unless it doesn't have one ~in which case I ditch it fairly soon; a few hours at most.

Occasionally a game is so terrible, that I'll stop playing immediately. Ring 2 comes to mind.

AlpineMarv

Literate
I once suffered from achievement hunting and 100% completion addiction. Assassin's creed 3 finally broke me.

Now I just play games for as long as they are fun. Games with forced collect-a-thons are instant drop tho.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I hate dropping games. If i start something I have an impulsive need to push through and finish it no matter what, with some exceptions obviously. DA:I was one of those rare instances where I just .... just ... couldn't....

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've noticed during my current JRPG stint that I delete games from my computer in a matter of minutes.

That's a perfectly normal reaction.

Well, yeah, I guess. Then again, maybe I chose the wrong JRPGs. Terranigma, for example, I'm not into that kind of gameplay, as it is boring as fuck. SaGa Frontier, another widely lauded game in the JRPG section, and I couldn't get over how unpolished, unfinished, unconnected it feels. I know unpolished and unfinished, I've played Wasteland 2 to completion. But SaGa Frontier gives you that "every single part of this game was made by different people" vibe.

I've dropped some of my all time favorites before, like Final Fantasy VII, New Vegas, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Wasteland 2. All of them. And when I picked them back again, and gave them a try, I was able to get over the

- Blocky graphics.
- Rather boring intro.
- Isometric perspective and controls.
- Interface issues (thanks Beamdog!)
- Complicated combat contrls.
- Uninspiring first mission.

and actually had fun with the games. But it's hard for me to keep playing when my issues aren't from a technical level (4 out of 6 examples) or "this particular moment sucks" (2 out of 6 examples), but rather, "holy shit this is so fucking boring and stupid" (Terranigma, Golden Sun, Metal Max Returns, SaGa Frontier, Inindo, among others). Who knows, maybe they are gems deep down there. The Codex probably plays a part in this too: it's hard not to give those games I mentioned earlier a second try after everyone speaks wonders of them (although I did play FFVII, NV and Fallout before joining the Codex).

Rpgsaurus Rex

it's like those people who claim that LOGH gets better after 26 episodes
it does but that's beside the point
LOGH - both the books and the anime - starts decent but turns to utter shit halfway.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This seems like the perfect thread to resurrect Spellcaster 's pearl of wisdom regarding FFXIV-

However, all this quality is hidden behind 200+ hours of "kill 10 rats" initial content and cringeworthy, awkward-ass cutscenes with abysmal voice acting. A friend suggested me to change it to Japanese dub and I don't regret it, much better indeed, though some people say the english voices became much better after some point.

Well I think this really sums it up perfectly IMO. You have to endure the initial 200 hours (can be less if you rush or if you don't take your time derping around) to reach the juicy stuff.

Spellcaster, sorry dude but it made me laugh then and it's making me laugh now. This gem is too good to languish in MMORPG discussion forever.

:hero:

Last edited:

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I spend less and less time on shitty games as I grow older. I never feel like playing good games is a waste of time, but playing shitty games certainly is. When I was younger and didn't value my time (and had limited choices) I would play shitty games to completion. I think having a backlog is a great thing as it allows me to spend time on games I genuinely enjoy.

I'll typically play through the tutorial and an hour's worth of content. Some games will hook me and that's that. Others will be so banal shit boring I'll drop them without a second thought. But there are some games that are really good except for one element, or are missing one thing that keeps them from being good. In these cases I'll look up the game on Youtube to see if the game improves later on and how long it takes to get to that point.

I actually just picked up and dropped 10 games over the last week before finding one that I legitimately enjoyed.

mondblut

Arcane
Play a game? Are you stupid?

You see some screenshots, google a few seconds about their game mechanics, and ditch it in disgust without launching once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom