Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to fit in: 10 advices for new members.

laclongquan

Arcane
Here's a tip for newfags: Don't fucking post.
The usual procedure is that you continue lurking for a year after registering. That way people will see you are a respectful and smart Codexer.

Bonus KKK if your first post dedicate to insult some oldtimer coherently and fluently.

Shannow

Waster of Time
One of my first posts was to ask Volly to back up his "NWN is the best RPG ever!" with some arguments. Yeah, I don't shit around in the little leagues M:

Fitting in isn't what the Codex is about.

8tOEI.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here is my list.

1) Please do not make overt attempts to "fit in" to this forum. That's pandering. There is no generalized homogeneous type of person of this forum whom you can imitate. Everyone has different opinions. If you make your first thread about how you dislike BioWare's recent trends, or how you feel Oblivion or Skyrim were overhyped, or how there has been some general "decline" in the industry or any other tired old cliche, people will know that you are attempting to pander. Even if it is your honest opinion (and it most likely is), it is still pandering and there is no need for it.

2) Please do not assign yourself the role of the polemic or the contrarian either. It's a blatant Lone Messiah of Reason mentality. If you make your first thread about how everyone only enjoys old elite games, but can't bring themselves to enjoy the simple newer stuff, and how you are one of the few who know how to enjoy stuff for its own merits - we have heard it before. Many regulars have voiced the same opinion. You won't be the first to say it. Relax. Easy. Don't adopt this Persecution for Lone Opinion mindset. Rest assured, there are many who agree with you.

3) Always always ALWAYS play a game before critically commenting on it. Please do not - DO NOT - assign yourself the role of a backseat commentator who knows everything about a game just by reading Gamasutra and RPS reviews, previews, and interviews. Many of our regulars already do this, and they intrude in threads complaining non-existent features in games based on some distorted picture from a month's old preview and out-of-context interview statements. Some of us don't want more of such people. There is also no need for entering a thread just to post, "I am the only non-loser who didn't bother playing this worthless game." Nobody cares.

4) Developers visit this forum, but they don't post here. You may be tempted to write long articles on how a game should be made, and assign yourself the role of a backseat developer. You may be hoping that Chris Avellone and David Gaider will read your post and amend their game accordingly. Don't. Developers can afford not to care what you think. It's not your money that is at stake in their game's development after all.

5) Beggars can't be choosers. Unless you are a regular fund source for this website, don't complain about the decisions of moderators and administrators.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Judging by the people who took exception to my suggestions, they are even more validated than before.

Phelot

Arcane
1) If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

2) HOPW ROEWUR NE

3) Don't ask for relationship advice.

SoupNazi

Why would anyone ever even try to "fit in" to the Codex? Seriously.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
1. Instead of reading this thread, just post whatever you want. Some things need to run their course naturally.

1. There's a pussy forest out there.

2. Slurp that shit up.

3. Beneath my fists.

4. Like the Tolling of Some Great Bell

Hormalakh

Magister
This seems like a nice, safe place to post this. Hey guys, what does HOPW ROEWUR NE mean?
:):):)

Hormalakh

Magister
All I know is that Prosper is really cool at drawing. That's it. Please don't hurt the newbie.

Queue the
stick.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom