Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hate games that contain X

Siobhan

Arbiter
C&C

:troll:
My aren't you a curious one. Alright, here we go: I despise C&C that doesn't emerge organically from the gameplay. Basically, choices that are presented to you via dialogue and you have to pick one out of two or three scripted options. Even when they have more than just cosmetic effects, they are so damn boring.

Interesting C&C that is purely gameplay-driven (provided the gameplay is good enough that these things make a noticable difference): party composition, character build, combat strategy, resource management, in which order to handle missions, and so on.

Here's a more specific example: killing Kingpin in JA2. You can do it at any point, you never have to do it, the reward is substantial early on but can lock you out of some minor events later on, and the game never grinds to a halt to lecture you about what choices you have and forcing one of them on you. Deus Ex also has a few nice ones, like running away from Walton Simons means you'll encounter him in a later mission. Or in a keyword-based dialogue system you can try out various unlisted keywords and discover surprising things. I'll take just about anything that involves more agency than a CYOA.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I've never really been much of a zombie fan, but I have two friends who are so utterly obsessed with them that they've thoroughly put me off the zombie genre.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Cover mechanics. Works alright in a game like XCOM where the battles are compartmentalized. Does not work nearly so well in Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Gears of War, etc., where the act of seeing a rectangular object automatically indicates a fight is coming up.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Randomly generated levels. That shit is printed on pretty much any wannabe first person indie game that tries to get their 15 seconds in the spotlight. And it fucking blows. They throw out the human touch of level design and opt for some weak seeded samey trash that kills my interest of the game instantly.

Minecraft graphics. As soon as I see it, I'm out.

Japanese game with all teen girl cast. There is a 80% chance that game will suck balls.

Microtransactions. What's the worst possible way to take someone out of the game? Oh, I know, begging for cash!

QTE's. Self-explanatory.

Always online requirement. And yes, I do hate all MMOs. Thanks for asking.

Repeating stages. Looking at you Bravely Default.

Crappy mini games a la turret sections and/or racing sections. Jak II & III...never again.

Astral Rag

Arcane
These are some of my least favorite things in gaming:

Poorly coded games, unoptimized games, crappy ports
Anime games, try-hard games, emo cutesy games, hipsterish "retro" styled games, MMOs, MOBAs, F2P games
(most) 3rd person ARPG
Popamole elements (hit markers, QTEs, regenerating health, level scaling,...)
Games with poor or generic driving model
FPS with bad gunplay (most modern FPS), online FPS with weapon unlocks
Uninspired level design, randomly generated levels
Cash-in HD remakes and shitty reboots
Poor controls (mouse smoothing etc), shitty menus, intrusive UIs
Bad use of HDR, bloom, lens flares, motion blur, DOF etc
Modern games with black bars
Twitter and Facebook integration
In-game purchases, micro dlc, season passes, intrusive DRM
Shitty engines: Gamebryo, Chrome, Unity, RPG Maker: Luna Engine

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the only thing that repulses me 100% is anime, no matter how good the game otherwise may be.

Any game that I can only rent and not own automatically gets dumped to the bottom of my play list, so will play them if I ever run out of DRM free stuff to play.
Similarly with games that have 3rd person view instead of 1st person view. But I will make excpetions for classics like Gothic 1 and 2.

Bloom if I can't turn it off.

As long as the game mechanics are good enough, I don't care that much if the story or setting is cliched drivel.

QTEs and characters who are invincible for no good reason (Bethesda is really guilty of the latter)

The latter is so easily fixed by just changing a few letters in the config file; something with "essential" IIRC.

The worst IMO must be unoptimized code and shitty game engines, nothing can put me off a game more than that.

I was going to take a break from my chronological play list and play a modern game for a change, but Expeditions: Conquistador ran so sluggishly that I gave it up. The game certainly doesn't look like it should require massive horsepower to run.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
carry weight or inventory?

I like how Pripyat handles it. Inventory system that impacts how quickly you get fatigued (especially when considering how important the ability to sprint is in the context of that game's firefights)

I guess it also depends on the goals of the game. A linear resource management game would benefit greatly from having a tetris inventory.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
Unskippable cutscenes

Procedurally generated loot (Furious Granade Launcher of Ice +15, etc)

Stealth games with checkpoints

QTEs

Early access

Bad writing/plot holes

Limited number of lives

TOO MANY LOUD SOUNDS

TheGreatOne

Arcane
For me its Zombies. I simply can't stand any zombie games, no matter how apparently good or even lavishly praised it is. I'll vomit if I try it.
Thief and Resident Evil 1/REmake
:shunthenonbeliever:

Oh, and another thing: WoW style graphics.
ALSO: BUYING VIRTUAL STUFF WITH REAL MONEY, F2P etc, I would love to get my hands on the people who invented it, Auschwitz would be a picnic compared to what I would do to those greedy little shits.
"F2P will become the prominent method of paying for games in the next decade" - Extra Credits
Hopefully kickstarter will save us from the decline of these hipster faggots

'Realistic' setting in fpp shooters.

Damn, back in the day when killing aliens/demons/other mosters with bizarre guns had no alternative, I craved for more realistic stuff so thing like Action Quake 2 or Counterstrike were the shit. But these were the last of their genre I liked, now market is overflooded with military crap like Medal of Honor, Battlefied, CoD, Killzone etc. they make me wanna vomit. Cannot even see major differences between each of them. At least AQ2 or Counterstrike had good gameplay.

DramaticPopcorn

Early access

This.
Having been in few beta tests I now cannot ever bother picking something up that is not finished or at least close to it.
And don't get me started on the pricing model where you pay more for privilege to test the game for developers. :hearnoevil:

People that buy into that just confuse me completely.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Option #1: Yes
Option #2: I Guess
Option #3: Okay but only because I need you to.

WHY EVEN HAVE CHOICES THEN
:x

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Option #1: Yes
Option #2: I Guess
Option #3: Okay but only because I need you to.

WHY EVEN HAVE CHOICES THEN
:x

Yeah, that pisses me off too.
Also -

Morality systems. I hate those, especially when it's unbalanced.
For example - why would you kill the Little Sisters in Bioshock, when saving them is so much more advantageous? There is only a 40 adam difference, and you get ammo + plasmids + tonics + consumables as well.

Btw, when can I brofist? I want to fist so many posts, but I cannot.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Water levels. When I was a kid the giant eel in Mario 64 ruined me.

Or Tomb Raider 2 underwater level with sharks. I can beat the most horrible monsters on solid ground but when it comes to some underwater creatures I'm trembling with fear.

Oh, and you should try Amnesia: Dark Descent. I won't spoil the surprise :troll:

Recently what is really pissing me off is the shitty camera. I'm really trying to get over with in MOTB but I can't force myself to play it. Just quick 20 minutes sessions and that's it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I dislike loot tables and random loot. There's just no valid case to be made for it.
"Increases replayability" no it doesn't.
"Makes loot more exciting" no it doesn't. Quite the opposite.
It potentially ruins item balance/distribution. D:OS was much worse because of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom