Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hate learning how to play new games

let me help with that.
tutorials are for people with special needs. if you can skip them, you should. if not, the game is for people with special needs.
the same applies to games with overly long introductions and/or cut scenes.

Have you seriously tried playing some paradox grand strategy like EU4 or whatever without any sort of tutorial/outside help?

I mean for real if I started the game up and was greeted with this:

index.php

I'd immediately uninstall and take a nap.

What kind of retard doesnt like to learn but plays a grand strategy game?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You do know that IQ is a bullshit thing? Also SomeDudeandHisHamster you are eather a troll or a merican. IF you are the second,please use the almighty divinity called google when it comes to questions about geography!

You do know that IQ is a bullshit thing? Also SomeDudeandHisHamster you are eather a troll or a merican. IF you are the second,please use the almighty divinity called google when it comes to questions about geography!

I'm not a troll nor american, I'm a half-orc berserker.
Besides, I always hated geography mainly because my shitty country mixes it with history and economics.

passerby

Arcane
False, China and Korea are too retarded to have high IQ

Yeah, they probably inflate their numbers/cheat like they do with everything else tbh.

Probable, but also few points more IQ of average doesn't make that much difference.
Certainly not enough to make a person immune to become brainwashed by collectivist and materialistic culture at a young age.

IQ was never an accurate way of measuring a person's intellect.

Care to point to a single documented case of anyone capable of serious science, or engineering not scoring way above average on IQ test ?

False, China and Korea are too retarded to have high IQ

Yeah, they probably inflate their numbers/cheat like they do with everything else tbh.

Probable, but also few points more IQ of average doesn't make that much difference.
Certainly not enough to make a person immune to become brainwashed by collectivist and materialistic culture at a young age.

IQ was never an accurate way of measuring a person's intellect.

Care to point to a single documented case of anyone capable of serious science, or engineering not scoring way above average on IQ test ?

So your telling me that an IQ test is accurate measurement of someone's knowledge because scientists have high scores? So that means people who study hard and spend their childhood getting pushed by their parents to read all day are geniuses?
That's logic only money wanting asians use.

newtmonkey

Arcane
In thinking about what OP wrote, I think there is a good point in there. Tutorials in strategy games take a key component of strategy games (the excitement of your first turn and not knowing what will happen, and of figuring the game out by trying and failing until you succeed [i.e. playing the game]) away and instead gives you basically a school lesson.

More like "I hate being lectured about ho to play a game, by the game". So much of the fun of most games is learning as you play, but it seems that games so complex with things like the spells even that wouldn't work out.

Like he said! One of the funnest times I've ever had with a game is when a friend let me borrow Civilization 1 without lending me his manual. Slowly figuring it out turn by turn was a ton of fun.

It can be tempting to go with a tutorial when it is offered, but I say skip it if you can, and just play the game and look stuff up as you go.

lemon-lime

Educated
In-game tutorials are mostly shit, anyways. Details should be looked up in the game's manual (remember those? Today often replaced by an in-game cyclopedia, which is good: when patches change stuff, a printed manual gets outdated) and a manual should also include a basic strategy guide.
Actually learning a new game could be achieved by offering some kind of spectator or spy mode, in which you are not blind: You are shown what your AI opponents are doing, see whether the AIs' choices lead to success and form your own conclusions. After you've become competent enough to ape the AI, you can work on refining and thinking up new strategies.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri allows you to do just that with its Scenario Editor mode, for example. (Using it does flag your game as having cheated.)
IMO such a solution is better than stupid and annoyingly forced in-game tutorials, that plague games more and more.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I was all set to rate this post :decline: and leave some sarcastic comment like you lot all have, but then I remembered that I was guilty of installing Homeworld Remastered, playing for 11 minutes and then thinking 'fuck this shit, I can't be arsed to learn all these controls and icons.'
I heard it had broken difficulty. If you performed too well, it was unwinable later.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you can't arse yourself to learn even most trivial shit like how to play video-fukin-games then I pity you and imagine you're old, senile Alzheimer/dementia powered old geezer put inside 20-40yo body.
Enjoy your retirement with rotten brians

spectre

Arcane
AAA developers got your back, bro. It's pretty much the same game with a few tweaks and a different number. Not that you need any serious level of competence to beat it.

Gregz

Arcane
Learning new games is a lot easier now than it used to be.

Back in the day, when you bought a game it was an investment. That was your only game for probably the next two months, and you'd memorize the manual on the car ride home or while taking the bus to school.

AAA developers got your back, bro. It's pretty much the same game with a few tweaks and a different number. Not that you need any serious level of competence to beat it.

Pretty much this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have never used tutorials in my life! Useless shit if i have to be honest,i haven't met a game that needs a tutorial.

Vorark

Erudite
It's worse when you can't even skip them, makes future playthroughs a chore.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't try to play complex games if you aren't willing to take the time to learn how to play. I agree it can be a litle drab, but I endure it because I know that later I'll have the satisfactionof interacting with a complex system. Also those games tend to end up eating like hundreds of hours of my life, so really the time of initial learning is miniscule in comparison

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
OP, same thing happened to me with the original AOW in the late 90s or whenever that was. I tried a tutorial or something but it was so slow and boring, I quit. I only went back because I saw people talking about how good it is so I really gave it one last chance. I ended super hooked. I must have spent hundreds of hours in that game (no exaggeration) for the next 10 years. Similar again in AoW2. I kickstarted AOW3 and like it as well although I am burned out with now so rarely play it.

But yeah I hate trying to learn an entirely new game. I'm fine with a shooter or RPG or something that is new (I love that in fact), but a whole new game can be such a chore. But I force myself to do it now because the pay off can be so big.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom