Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I hate what has been done to video game mages/wizards because I play shitty action games

Slow James

Savant
I disagree - Mages were turned into battle blasters by the removal of non-combat skills across the board by ARPGs. It removed the entire dimension of magic outside of doing damage. In that regard, Mages are insanely overpowered, but have real limits on how often they use that power (at least in DnD).

With the Diablo/MMO/ARPG model, Mages are instead expected to spam magic attacks non-stop, turning a staff from a worthless combat stick that had (sparingly used) magical attacks to a electric rifle, while the spells most powerful in a Mage's arsenal were to be used over and over and over again.
Ironically, the first Diablo had telekinesis which you could use to interact with the environment, a petrify spell. various teleportation spells, etc.

True. I had actually forgotten about the telekinesis spell, in all honesty. But the petrify and teleport spells are combat spells - you used them solely to stun an enemy and to escape being attacked, exclusively. That may not be damage dealing, but it certainly was combat related.

Check out this list of 2nd Level Wizard spells from DnD. Look how many non-combat, strictly utility spells are on this list:

Abjur

Conj

Div

Ench

Evoc

Illus

Necro

Trans

Shape changing, seeing in the dark, PLACING magic locks on things to prevent theft (as opposed to the CRPG staple of always breaking in), hiding particular objects from view, reading people's minds... these all have close to zero application to combat. A player would never map one of these skills to blast at demons in Diablo like they would, say, Fireball or Chain Lightning.

Because a player never needs to. The player controls the Mage and never needs to climb a wall, or send a message to someone else, or float to reach a destination slightly out of reach. The ARPG mage only needs to blast enemies over and over and over again, refilling mana by chugging potions and kiting around mindless enemies.

I liked Diablo, don't get me wrong... but that type of gameplay is the reason why Wizards could be switched with archers with different animations in most games. And that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom