Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Have Pockets But Nowhere To Put My Hands

Jason

chasing a bee
Ok, so I was thinking about what we should do with this forum, TCancer Site Feedback. It's pretty much useless as it is and it's taking up potentially useful space (TCancer had 6 forums before the move). So far it's only been good for the caption thread and now this one.

Requirements: Whatever we put here should (A) be strategy related and (B) allow any registered member (no Guests) to start their own threads.

Options:

(1) Put the General Strategy Forum here. It only makes sense because TCancer is the strategy wing of the Codex. Plus, many Codex members are strategy fans, but they have no idea that TCancer exists, much less that it's already covering the games they like.

(2) A strategy modding forum. It could be a forum where people can start any topics related to modding strategy games. People could post mod news ("new RTW mod completed"), discuss mods they're interested in ("anyone played TA Spring?"), announce new mod projects, or look for team members to make a mod. I really have no idea how much interest there would be in this.

(3) A reader review forum. Anybody could post their own reviews/impressions of any strategy game, old or new. This didn't see much action when TCancer had it before, but that was before the Codex merger. There's a lot more people around here now that are fond of doing this.

(4) A freeware forum. Kind of like the modding forum, but regarding freeware. You get the idea.

(5) A combined freeware/modding forum.

Any opinions? Any ideas not covered here?

Atrokkus

Erudite
(1) Put the General Strategy Forum here. It only makes sense because TCancer is the strategy wing of the Codex. Plus, many Codex members are strategy fans, but they have no idea that TCancer exists, much less that it's already covering the games they like.
Exactly my sentiments. This should be done immediately and unquestionately, for that is the only way here.

2) A strategy modding forum. It could be a forum where people can start any topics related to modding strategy games. People could post mod news ("new RTW mod completed"), discuss mods they're interested in ("anyone played TA Spring?"), announce new mod projects, or look for team members to make a mod. I really have no idea how much interest there would be in this.
Oh, finally a place where I can post my Starcraft/Warcraft3 little half-done mods.
Hey, I even made a working dialog system in WC3!

We should dump all the threads from Codex Strategy Discussion to TCancer General Discussion -- that's simple enough, just fucking select the threads, go to moderation options and hit move, DUH! Why is everyone so hesitant about such a small feat?

A modding forum should be separate, of course. However, if it gets too little interest, perhaps we could later merge it with general discussion.

Reader's review is a bit obsolete, since readers already review a lot through their comments in general disc/ feedback forums. No need to force em to write anything, really.

Jason

chasing a bee
(1) would be my first choice as well.
We should dump all the threads from Codex Strategy Discussion to TCancer General Discussion -- that's simple enough, just fucking select the threads, go to moderation options and hit move, DUH! Why is everyone so hesitant about such a small feat?
I'm a TCancer admin, not a Codex one, so I don't have the power to do that. If I did, I would have already done it. We'll have to bug DU or Saint to actually get it done.
Reader's review is a bit obsolete, since readers already review a lot through their comments in general disc/ feedback forums. No need to force em to write anything, really.
Good point.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I'm a TCancer admin, not a Codex one, so I don't have the power to do that. If I did, I would have already done it. We'll have to bug DU or Saint to actually get it done.
I understand that. Currently buggin 'em.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Come to think of it, NL can do it, too -- he's supposed to be an admin, or sub-admin after all (right?). However, we must first seek aproval from Saint, so that there would be no questions later. Too bad Saint right now is quite preoccupied with his domestic matters and doesn't really do shit here.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I can make a reader review forum, but I'll have to get calis or someone to completely move the entire General Strategy Forum under our wing. Bitch to him.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
On second thought, reader reviews could just go into th eGeneral Strategy gaming forum. I don't see the point in having an entire forum dedicated to them unless we get a gigmongous influx of members yelling "READER REVIEWS OR DIE!@" (yes, with the "@")

Jason

chasing a bee
I agree. I'd much rather see a Strategy Modding/Freeware forum before a Reader Review forum. Of course, I still want to hear what other people have to say about it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
As I said, no "review" forum is needed. just a general discussion, but under the TCancer section!

General strtegy forum was originally added on request, it was not planned -- why not just move it where it truly belongs now??/1414

Im tellin Calis and DU and Saint (though he doesn't care)

Calis

Pensionado
I moved it, but it kinda breaks with the "logic" of the other forums now, since RPG discussion isn't under RPG Codex feedback either.
Don't care though. Also, don't some of you jokers have admin access as well, to take care of this stuff? I know N_L has admin access. Rearrange as you see fit, don't touch stuff that doesn't belong to you, and if people don't like it, they can bitch about it. Right?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I would've done it, but i didn't feel like breaking anything or whatever and having saint pigrape me like in Deliverance.

Also, I noticed the average daily visits jumped to almost 900. Yeeha!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, the whole forum layout could do with a jiggy but doing it properly probably means a mod and phpBB mods are evil. EVIL.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Naked_Lunch said:
Also, I noticed the average daily visits jumped to almost 900. Yeeha!

Babyarm's been pimping links. And you've had some good shit recently too in fairness t'y'all.

re. sub-sections. Sure freeware is fine but does it need it's own section - a thread is enough surely? General strategy being here is cool though. Was odd to have TCancer up North and then seeing another section devoted to strategy down south.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
asking saint very nicely to let us have the friggen strategy forums considering WE'RE THE GODDAMN STRATEGY NEWS SITE HERE, DAMMIT.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Welp, my plan, once I get time is to have five banks.. One per site(one site I need to get people to help me run since I'm overrun with work, working on my house, and RPGCodex), one hosted forum one, and one general forum bank which has general strategy, general discussion, general RPG, general MMO(because I don't want to clutter up the general RPG with MMO bullshit), and so on. I'm debating on condensing all the tycoony stuff in to a general tycoon forum as well, but not totally sure even though they're largely inactive right now.

Each site needs to have feedback, news comments, content comments, and the database thingy in their bank. Now, the reason why there's everything generalize, i.e. not driven by the site postings and contents, in their own general forum is because someone might come from one site and also want to discuss something somewhere else by starting their own thread. So, it's separated from the main site post driven forums in that manner.

And metallix is gay.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You just can't stand the fact that my plan was better, and got lots of votes.

Each site needs to have feedback, news comments, content comments, and the database thingy in their bank. Now, the reason why there's everything generalize, i.e. not driven by the site postings and contents, in their own general forum is because someone might come from one site and also want to discuss something somewhere else by starting their own thread. So, it's separated from the main site post driven forums in that manner.
I don't agree with this. If a guy is interested in RPGs, he'll go to the Codex bank -- for site, news, content and general rpg discussion.
Now, if he also wants to discuss hentai manga, he'll scroll down and click "general discussion". As per my plan in that thread you loathe so much.

Jason

chasing a bee
Say what you want about metallix, his forum layout idea makes a lot more sense than Saint's. Having strategy forums in different areas (or sim forums, or RPG forums, etc) lacks focus and style. General Discussion and General Strategy go together better than General Strategy and strategy news comments?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom