Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Eyeball

Arcane
Dragonborn is worth it for the appearances of Hermaeus Mora who is cool, particularly his alternate dimension of poisonous water and towers made of decaying books, which is easily the coolest looking area in all of Skyrim.

Dongguard is derp.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You get a pretty baller castle tho, regardless of what route you choose.

I found dragonburn even more derp than donggard. The book realms were cool the first time you saw one, but the novelty instantly wore off. Walk through a linear area with easily solved puzzels, fight the same enimies over and over, rinse, repeat. Donggard felt like it had more variety - though the fact that it doesn't add a landmass was pretty meh.

Actually, once again, I need to point out that Bethesda needs to have a team dedicated to making expansions featuring new regions of tamriel. It'd be like the sims in that every new game, you'd have to buy all the regions of tamriel again. Goldmine.

hell bovine

Arcane
I prefer Dragonborn, if only because it doesn't force an annoying, bugged NPC on you, which continued to infect my character with vampirism on every available occasion. Soul Cairn seemed really interesting, but then it turned out Requiem put some invisible entities there. And so it quickly degenerated into a Benny Hill movie, whith both that vampire companion and storm atronachs sprinting after runaway entities, while my conjurer just stood there looking dumb & pretty, because he couldn't run as fast.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I respect Dragonborn if only for managing to both stay true to BM for the most part and make Solstheim interesting, despite them being seeming irreconcilable goals.
Also, Apocrypha were kewl, if linear.
Brofist this. The best part of Morrowind were the expansions for me, as far as they felt so much more lifelike than the rest of the gam and i wanted more of THAT story, and Dawnguard/Dragonborn made me do another skyrim playthrough again even after I was positive that Once was enough for a lifetime.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Jesus Christ, Gabe. What are you doing? Can't wait for massive Nexus mod removal.

darthaegis

Cipher
What a great way to not get almost any downloads on your mod.
On the other hand, this could possibly bring modding to a more professional standard, with studios just doing Skyrim mods. And there are some mods that are sort of worth it to pay a small amount (Requiem, SkyRe, Falskaar etc.)
But yeah it'll be Dota 2 shit, 'cept I can't randomly get shit and sell it to buy games.
:neveraskedforthis:

If only any of those mods were worth a damn, then maybe that might justify a pittance (well, certainly not 1.85). These putative "modders" pull stuff out of other games and still manage to make the models look horrible.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And they only get paid once they have at least $100 in earnings, so any mod that earns less than $400 total will not make its creator any money.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, that's shitty!
Strange that Bethesda don't give more back to the community that has had a big impact on the number of sales they have...

Well, well, that corporate greed in a nutshell...

DraQ

Arcane
I respect Dragonborn if only for managing to both stay true to BM for the most part and make Solstheim interesting, despite them being seeming irreconcilable goals.
Also, Apocrypha were kewl, if linear.
Brofist this. The best part of Morrowind were the expansions for me
Actually, I can't agree with that.

Tribunal was cool in that it concluded Morrowind's story and added some decent dungeon crawling, but it was also relatively half-baked.
Bloodmoon was even worse in that regard, yeah, the landmass, the quests new environments and lycanthropy were cool, too bad there was none of the attention to detail that made Morrowind great, it was essentially Skyblivion v0.5 - mini-Skyrim but flat (partially due to limitations of the engine, you couldn't have elevated bodies of water in MW, for example) without interesting terrain (like in OB) and massively copypasta content - from bookshelves populated by countless copies of the same book arranged in neat blocks, to dungeons being literally copies of each other (all the barrows in BM are not only tiny, but verbatim copies of three different layouts - four if you count Hrothmund's Barrow which is just slight modification of one of the layouts - it's even worse than in OB which only copied large dungeon pieces). It even includes OB's and Skyrim's lamentable railroading in the form of unpickable locks everywhere. Not to mention poor integration with preexisting lore (I'm speaking of Skaal and TES monomyth).

It might have been forgivable because what mattered then was that expansions gave us more Morrowind, but they certainly weren't the best part of MW, in many ways they were even the harbringers of the decline to come.
Still, continuity is a big asset, especially in something like TES, so DB faced an unenviable, seemingly impossible and certainly conflicting task of staying true to boring, repetitive, recycled content while also making it interesting and diverse - and succeeded.
:salute:

And there are some mods that are sort of worth it to pay a small amount (Requiem, SkyRe, Falskaar etc.)
Actually, while something like Requiem would definitely be worth money, it's also the kind of mod you should never have to pay for.

It's bad enough that community has to patch Bethesda games, having to pay for those patches as well as the base game would be inexcusable.
:fight:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom