Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inspirations for weaponry?

BigDummy

Novice
Haba said:
I found the ideal woman for you guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJHnn2Z_g2w

Otherwise, attempts to find videos of people actually throwing a chakram have proven to be fruitless.

When it comes to those 'exotic' weapons, it would actually be interesting to hear your thoughts on how to actually implement their unique aspects in a game.
174-jca12.jpg

Lets say we pit a Philippino Kampilan

versus a Panabas

Do we just say that one can do slashing and piercing damage, while other only slashing and uses axe skill?

I don't know what parameters you use for weapons, but here is how I would interpret these for my system.

Both of these weapons are specialized choppers, you could thrust with either blade, certainly into soft flesh, but neither is specialized for piercing.

The panabas looks to me to belong to the family of convex curved chopping blades, along with the Dacian Falx, Turkish yataghan, Indian Sosun Pata, Greek Kopis, Celtiberian Falcata, and Gurkha Kurkri knife. These blades are very effective cutters, they cut something like a meat-cleaver or an axe, but that is different from a draw-cut ( slice or a slash) again, depending on your paramters.

A slice is more effective against naked flesh, a chop like a weapon like this would deliver would cut through harder targets like skulls, femurs, shields etc. quite effectively. It would more effective against armor, maybe up to the level of lamellar but probably not mail.

These both appea to be relatively heavy-bladed weapons, which again enhances a certain type of cutting ability not unlike an Axe. With it's relatively long grip the Panabas seems to me to fall somewhere between certain variants of a Burmese / Thai "Dha" and an Indian "Bhuj" or 'Elephant Knife'

249-mib08.jpg

Dha

ph-0.jpg

Bhuj

An axe skill or a polearm skill might be appropriate I guess, though you can't hook with the blade the way you can with an axe. There is no hand protection.

The Kampilan reminds me of a Falchion, or possibly a bit like a German messer, depending on the balance and the weight. I have two questions, does the hilt act as a counterweight at all (probably not since it appears to be organic material) and is the cross functinal as hand protection? (again not sure since it looks like it's wood, but maybe really tough hardwood).

If the pommel part of the hilt acts as a counterweight and the cross is functional as hand protection I'd say this is a weapon you would use as a sword. Depending on the wieght / balance I would guess the Kampilan would be much better for defense and quicker in follow-up attacks than the Panabas.

I gather the Kampilan was an indigneous weapon which was around before the Spanish showed up, is that correct? What was the level of metalurgy, were these iron or steel or case hardened iron or full pattern welded or what?

Also are both or either of these weapons double-edged? If so this allows false-edge cutting techniques if your system includes those, they can be pretty significant, it's one of the main differences between Dao and Jian techniques in Chinese fencing.

So many weapon geek questions... so little time between doing actual work... ;)

BD

BigDummy

Novice
There is also a version of a Dha which looks like a Kampilan

229-mib25.jpg

here is a nice one more like a saber

227-iag08.jpg

And this one is like a Dacian falx

266-iag13.jpg

I know they are out of fashion, but would anyone here be interested in seeing some real European weapons (as opposed to the fake fantasy / RPG version with stingers and bat-wings etc. etc.) ?

BD

Fezzik

Cipher
BigDummy said:
I hope I didn't violate your spam policy by posting a link to my book.

You have nothing to worry about. All I meant by "no spam, no ban" was that pretty much everything gets tolerated here except if a user is either a bot or creates a hundred threads in a day or brings extreme amounts of stupidity and inanity into every thread on the forum.

zenbitz

Scholar
This is going to seem like a bizarre request, but can you put a Madu in the game.

It's a 19th C. Indian "fighting shield" look like this:

fakir_madu_1.jpg

Oh, and fighting with that and a broadsword should be like, uber unbalanced. It's an SCA joke.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
BigDummy said:
Haba said:
I found the ideal woman for you guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJHnn2Z_g2w

Otherwise, attempts to find videos of people actually throwing a chakram have proven to be fruitless.

When it comes to those 'exotic' weapons, it would actually be interesting to hear your thoughts on how to actually implement their unique aspects in a game.
174-jca12.jpg

Lets say we pit a Philippino Kampilan

versus a Panabas

Do we just say that one can do slashing and piercing damage, while other only slashing and uses axe skill?

I don't know what parameters you use for weapons, but here is how I would interpret these for my system.

Both of these weapons are specialized choppers, you could thrust with either blade, certainly into soft flesh, but neither is specialized for piercing.

The panabas looks to me to belong to the family of convex curved chopping blades, along with the Dacian Falx, Turkish yataghan, Indian Sosun Pata, Greek Kopis, Celtiberian Falcata, and Gurkha Kurkri knife. These blades are very effective cutters, they cut something like a meat-cleaver or an axe, but that is different from a draw-cut ( slice or a slash) again, depending on your paramters.

A slice is more effective against naked flesh, a chop like a weapon like this would deliver would cut through harder targets like skulls, femurs, shields etc. quite effectively. It would more effective against armor, maybe up to the level of lamellar but probably not mail.

These both appea to be relatively heavy-bladed weapons, which again enhances a certain type of cutting ability not unlike an Axe. With it's relatively long grip the Panabas seems to me to fall somewhere between certain variants of a Burmese / Thai "Dha" and an Indian "Bhuj" or 'Elephant Knife'

249-mib08.jpg

Dha

ph-0.jpg

Bhuj

An axe skill or a polearm skill might be appropriate I guess, though you can't hook with the blade the way you can with an axe. There is no hand protection.

The Kampilan reminds me of a Falchion, or possibly a bit like a German messer, depending on the balance and the weight. I have two questions, does the hilt act as a counterweight at all (probably not since it appears to be organic material) and is the cross functinal as hand protection? (again not sure since it looks like it's wood, but maybe really tough hardwood).

If the pommel part of the hilt acts as a counterweight and the cross is functional as hand protection I'd say this is a weapon you would use as a sword. Depending on the wieght / balance I would guess the Kampilan would be much better for defense and quicker in follow-up attacks than the Panabas.

I gather the Kampilan was an indigneous weapon which was around before the Spanish showed up, is that correct? What was the level of metalurgy, were these iron or steel or case hardened iron or full pattern welded or what?

Also are both or either of these weapons double-edged? If so this allows false-edge cutting techniques if your system includes those, they can be pretty significant, it's one of the main differences between Dao and Jian techniques in Chinese fencing.

So many weapon geek questions... so little time between doing actual work... ;)

BD
I am so close to buying your book although I don't even play PnPs.

Mystary!

Arcane
zenbitz said:
This is going to seem like a bizarre request, but can you put a Madu in the game.

It's a 19th C. Indian "fighting shield" look like this:

fakir_madu_1.jpg

Oh, and fighting with that and a broadsword should be like, uber unbalanced. It's an SCA joke.

If you think thats owerpowerd you should see this one, the so-called "lantern shield"! Kinda reminds me of something you'd make in arcanum. The lantern is behind the small hole at the top, the lid can be popped open with a switch to blind people.
1226538302352.jpg

zenbitz

Scholar
fyezall said:
zenbitz said:

If you think thats owerpowerd you should see this one, the so-called "lantern shield"! Kinda reminds me of something you'd make in arcanum. The lantern is behind the small hole at the top, the lid can be popped open with a switch to blind people.
1226538302352.jpg

It's not particularly unbalanced, but some people claim that is is...

Mystary!

Arcane
If it was effective in combat there would be more of them around, but there aren't so it must of had a very limited use. But it looks so over the top it, no skill required to intimidate with it. Imagine bull rushing someone with it, even if the dodged you'd probably skewer aleast a dozen organs anyway ;)

BigDummy

Novice
You got to keep in mind the SCA has a LOT of rules. Things can be 'unbalanced' in a sport that wouldn't necessarily give you any advantage in a real fight.

BD

jhoonday

Novice
roshan said:
Ander Vinz said:
roshan said:
perfect form

Yes, its beautiful. Afghan influenced blade, with a Hindu baskethilt.

If I'm not mistaken Imperial Russia had a strong influence in Afghanistan in the late nineteen century. In connection with this, this kind of sword was one of the influences. Well, this sword is a very good stuff to be collected.

Severian Silk

Makes me think a Central Asian theme for the game would have been cooler.

:(

Maybe Himalayas/Tibetan Plateau in the next game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom