Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inventory screen

John Yossarian

Magister
I like it, although I'd like to see something with one or two fewer textures. Maybe put the dirt as the only background? Or would that mess up those pretty shadows ?

Slylandro

Scholar
Looks good to me. One thing I didn't notice before though-- what are the amulet and ring slots for? IIRC in AoD there is supposed to be little or no magic leftover from the old days. Will there be trace amounts of magical or otherwise supernatural inventory in the game, or are the rings and amulets mostly for show or RP significance (i.e. this medallion tells other NPCs I'm a member of the Merchant's guild)?

While we're back on the subject of UIs, this seems kind of obvious, but there *will* be support for mouse wheels right? Also, what are the arrow keys mapped to? In the Infinity Engine games, they shifted the screen in various directions so as to minimize mouse movement.

jeansberg

Liturgist
Slylandro said:
Looks good to me. One thing I didn't notice before though-- what are the amulet and ring slots for? IIRC in AoD there is supposed to be little or no magic leftover from the old days. Will there be trace amounts of magical or otherwise supernatural inventory in the game, or are the rings and amulets mostly for show or RP significance (i.e. this medallion tells other NPCs I'm a member of the Merchant's guild)?
I'm guessing they're for use along with the disguise skill.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I think something needs to be done with the left parameters column (Weight, Damage, Armour etc.). I'd suggest uniting all those individual cells into one "box". Or, maybe, just put a pergament in the background there (since it actually makes sense -- those numbers are statistics, thus, they reside on some paper).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I like it. :lol:

The space left to the X is kinda empty. Something there would be nice...

I like it, although I'd like to see something with one or two fewer textures. Maybe put the dirt as the only background? Or would that mess up those pretty shadows ?

I can unify the dark backgrounds, but the ones for the items on the left and the letters should be different. Stay tuned.

IIRC in AoD there is supposed to be little or no magic leftover from the old days.

Low-magic setting means that you won´t see it in everyday life, that it´s not commonly used, but it doesn´t mean that there is nothing left over. It´s just more scattered.

I think something needs to be done with the left parameters column (Weight, Damage, Armour etc.). I'd suggest uniting all those individual cells into one "box". Or, maybe, just put a pergament in the background there (since it actually makes sense -- those numbers are statistics, thus, they reside on some paper).

I don´t think that uniting them will work, and adding another background style (and something as delicate as paper) is out of the question. But it doesn´t mean they are perfect. ;)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the examples VD gave so far weren't exactly of the "magic ring" nature. Magic as he described it is more pseudo-science and I expected its use to be less trivial than just slipping a ring on your finger.

I'm by and large fine with the interface. The fields for item description actually look good in the example, I'm not sure how it looks with other item types though.
One thing I'd change is putting the weight and gold icons right of the text, right now it looks like text wrap because the field isn't wide enough. Putting the icons between label and value should remove that impression.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, the examples VD gave so far weren't exactly of the "magic ring" nature. Magic as he described it is more pseudo-science and I expected its use to be less trivial than just slipping a ring on your finger.

Yeah, maybe. VD would be the best one to answer this thing ;)

One thing I'd change is putting the weight and gold icons right of the text, right now it looks like text wrap because the field isn't wide enough. Putting the icons between label and value should remove that impression.

I´ll play with them a little ;)

Vidder

Liturgist
i like it.

the left column were inventory items are kept, should have the same darker background as the inventory slots. Also the items in the inventory should be smaller and maybe have a short description visible beside/underneath them.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vidder said:
i like it.

the left column were inventory items are kept, should have the same darker background as the inventory slots. Also the items in the inventory should be smaller and maybe have a short description visible beside/underneath them.

We tried it darker and it didn´t work. In the slots we can afford it, but in the column a lighter background is necessary. About the item size, it won´t be changed, sorry. Besides, two versions for every icon must be made for that, and it´s not worth the effort. :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Slylandro said:
There are no magical "+1" rings/amulets. However, there are

1) Disguise items (insignias and rings)
2) Special items like the amulet on the screen - it has a swissknife-like functionality (see those mini-tools) and a magnifying glass in the middle - it's a handy item for characters with high lore. Other examples are astrolabe (amulet), poison ring, etc.
3) Prestige items to show your wealth and trigger dialogue options.
4) Quest-specfic items (can't explain without spoiling)

RAG

Educated
I think there is too much contrast on the textures around the characters slots. Maybe if you tone in down a bit

denizsi

Arcane
Here we go:

Non-unified slot sizes look messy. Do hand slots need to be that wide really? Likewise, do "ring" slot have to be bigger than bag slot? You could afford to have it smaller, it won't make a difference on graphics-enjoyment front. Besides, you can still see it in unequipped inventory items. If the item slot sizes were closer to each other, especially if the hand slots were narrower, you could have the space to place the sorting button vertically.

Does it have to write the function of the slot? It's so unnecessary. A background image as in Elhoim's designs in the other thread would work like a charm.

Also, is that a paperdoll? Why does it look like a slot instead? Have it over the texture pattern instead of inside a slot. If it's not paper doll, what's it?

The fact that scroll bar is on the left-most while sorting buttons are on top and right to the inventory looks very impractical. It might work better to have them vertically placed, even though they look very nice in horizontal order, and have the scroll bar on the right border of the item list.

Also, I think it would work much better to have the scroll bar within the items area, ( like my redesigns of Android's interface ). Right now, it's an unnecessary burden on the number of design aspects in the inventory screen; it might do much better to simplify it a bit.

If inventory items don't have to be just that big (just look at it in full screen, they are huge for f's sake!), you could easily afford to have them smaller by a %25 in my opinion. By doing so, the horizontally placed sorting buttons could be shifted to left as well, over the items.

I think the background for the unequipped items should be a little darker. It's too eye-rapingly bright right now. There is plenty of contrast on the right where the equipping slots are located so it makes the eyes comfortable, but the unequipped items are just trying to breach their boundaries to rape your eyes. It needs a balance. Not as darker as the equipping slots; just slightly darker, like the information box below the equipment slots perhaps.

The "X" looks horrible.

How do we drop an item? Context menus?

All these said, I really love the feel. I didn't like Elhoim's interface designs much, but this is very good, I really like it. I love the vertically placed stats information, the information box below the equipment slots.

That treatment of jewelry/adornment sounds great - very impressive.

So simple yet utilized so few times in games. Damn industry.

edit: corrections in italic.

Vault Dweller

Developer
denizsi said:
Do item slots need to be that wide really?
Weapons are wide (large swords, spears, anything two handed).

Likewise, do "ring" slot have to be bigger than bag slot?
We can reduce the items' size and make it more consistent (the amulet does look huge).

Does it have to write the function of the slot? It's so unnecessary. A background image as in Elhoim's designs in the other thread would work like a charm.
We can try that.

Also, is that a paperdoll? Why does it look like a slot instead? Have it over the texture pattern instead of inside a slot. If it's not paper doll, what's it?
It's an in-game model. Keep in mind that it's a mockup, not a fully functioning interface yet, that's why the model is an odd-looking picture and not something that actually looks like a 3D model.

If inventory items don't have to be just that big...
No.

The "X" looks horrible.
Agree.

How do we drop an item? Context menus?
Right click.

suibhne

Erudite
Re. the actual interface...I think some of the slotted items stick out too much (i.e., too much edge enhancement), while the objects on the left don't stick out quite enough from the background. Basically, the item/icon art just needs to be better integrated with the textures of the interface screen.

The relationship between the different slots is also a bit odd; there are lines connecting some of them, but it doesn't really make any sense. ("Belt Bag" probably isn't tied to "Ring" or "Hand slot" in the game, but they're tied together graphically on this screen.) Overall the screen seems like a (very attractive) jumble; there's no real link between the (non-paper) doll and the slots (which is to say, their geometric relationship on the screen is not meaningful), and the slots themselves appear to be interrelated by the lines drawn between them but really have no such relationship. Personally, I'd favor moving the doll out of there entirely and thereby enabling all of the slots to relate to each other more logically - i.e., their geometry would approximate the body - but I also understand that kids these days really like to play dress-up and be able to see changes dynamically without closing and re-opening the inventory screen. Not a big deal either way, but the screen just feels a little busy and not as elegant as it could be.

Why call it "Hand Slot" instead of "Left hand" and "Right hand"? The latter seems more intuitive and organic to me; "slot" is "gamey".

Finally, I think "inventory" needs an article in the phrase "You go through the pile of junk you call inventory". Maybe "your inventory"?

Vault Dweller

Developer
suibhne said:
I'd favor moving the doll out of there entirely and thereby enabling all of the slots to relate to each other more logically - i.e., their geometry would approximate the body - but I also understand that kids these days really like to play dress-up and be able to see changes dynamically without closing and re-opening the inventory screen. Not a big deal either way, but the screen just feels a little busy and not as elegant as it could be.
Even Fallout had an in-game model. Anyway, agree about the elegance. Can you help us with that? If you have any ideas, the best way to express them (or try them) is an excel spreasheet.

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/2830 ... aceui2.jpg

Finally, I think "inventory" needs an article in the phrase "You go through the pile of junk you call inventory". Maybe "your inventory"?
Sure. Works for me.

Gruu

Novice
What are the buttons along the top? Are they filters to show just weapons, armor, etc.?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
All these said, I really love the feel. I didn't like Elhoim's interface designs much, but this is very good, I really like it. I love the vertically placed stats information, the information box below the equipment slots.

Wow, thanks! :D

Good sugestions BTW, we´ll see what we can change. ;)

Crichton

Prophet
It's all subjective of course, but I'd say,

TEH FUGLY!!!11!1!, Get android to do one, I really liked how clean his interface was.

suibhne

Erudite
Since the main interface appears to be disabled anyway while Inventory is open, is there any possibility of expanding Inventory to take over that screen real estate? I'm undecided about whether this would work aesthetically, but figured I'd ask the question before wasting any more cycles thinking about it. :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom