Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inventory screen

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
On the subject of list size and scrolling, would it not be better if instead of a scrollbar you simply had up/down buttons at the top/bottom of the list when appropriate? It seems pointless to scroll one item at a time because if the item you are looking for isn't on the screen then you don't really care about the ones that are. This way there is less of an issue with only fitting a relatively small number of items on screen at once as it is simple to flick through the pages until you get to the one with the item you want on it.

At the moment I still like Elhoim's first one the most, the only things I'd change would be to add the list seperators from denisizi's reworking and change the X to a close button similar to the ones from Elhoim's other screens.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Joff1981 said:
On the subject of list size and scrolling, would it not be better if instead of a scrollbar you simply had up/down buttons at the top/bottom of the list when appropriate? It seems pointless to scroll one item at a time because if the item you are looking for isn't on the screen then you don't really care about the ones that are. This way there is less of an issue with only fitting a relatively small number of items on screen at once as it is simple to flick through the pages until you get to the one with the item you want on it.

At the moment I still like Elhoim's first one the most, the only things I'd change would be to add the list seperators from denisizi's reworking and change the X to a close button similar to the ones from Elhoim's other screens.

We`ll see about the separators, but the close buttons are gone for good. :)

denizsi

Arcane
Claw said:

Well, if you are so unquestioanbly happy with huge items, than you're probably better off not interpreting my aggressive opinions as attempts at imposing ideas.

Maybe I'm too accustomed to games with simple text for inventory items or just smaller items for minimal or less space occupation, so that's the reason I'm finding default sizes huge and unnecessary, and making a drama about it. Just look at the percentage of screen estate the items in Arcanum and Fallout occupies for instance, and these are just two examples with very nice graphics (in my opinion anyway).

Comparing to these, it's a terrible waste of space in my opinion and shrinking icon sizes aren't just a concern of gaining one or two more viewable slots, but also one of aesthetic value, as I don't fancy the idea of huge shiny item art occupying so much space, just because it wouldn't lose some detail.

Now, it's possible that I'm reading too much into your lines, but it seems to me that you're making it sound like I'm the ultimate source of disruption on this matter. If that isn't just a delusion, then I should say that just because I may be the first one to voice up some concerns about item sizes, with demonstrations, it doesn't mean it's just me in this camp, just as because a few more people express opinions favouring the default sizes, it isn't everybody else in the other camp, though I'm not sure if it matters anything at all in either case.

Finally, regarding the empty space: You know, you just don't have to fill every space. Look at Fallout's interface and imagine how it would look if it weren't a float-box over the in-game view and occupied the whole screen. Would it make the game better on graphical front to make use of all that space by using icons twice the size perhaps, would it make any sense at all? This might be a personal preference though (but I don't think that way).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I don´t want to nitpick, but those shotguns in the Arcanum screeny are bigger than the biggest item in AoD... And the armor, and...

So if it was an example of the aestetic beauty of small items, it was a very bad one ;)

denizsi

Arcane
It wasn't. I picked it specifically for its contrasting context (there wouldn't be much point in giving two identical examples now, would it? ). "The doll", if you can call it that, is so small and non-intervening, the items you equip are just as much a continuing part of the inventory, instead of exhibited seperately. Actually, almost whole screen above the bottom bar is reserved for inventory area and icon sizes are reasonable within those proportions given the amount of space they are allowed to occupy on screen (can't say the same for the amount of slots some items occupy though). It's so obvious what they chose to focus on in Arcanum and it pays off in my opinion, in both graphical front and functionality.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
denizsi said:
Now, it's possible that I'm reading too much into your lines, but it seems to me that you're making it sound like I'm the ultimate source of disruption on this matter.
That's how it is.

If that isn't just a delusion, then I should say that just because I may be the first one to voice up some concerns about item sizes, with demonstrations, it doesn't mean it's just me in this camp
You're the motherfuckin' Rosa Parks of small inventory icons. So, what's next? Riots in General RPG Discussion? :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Claw said:
If that isn't just a delusion, then I should say that just because I may be the first one to voice up some concerns about item sizes, with demonstrations, it doesn't mean it's just me in this camp
You're the motherfuckin' Rosa Parks of small inventory icons. So, what's next? Riots in General RPG Discussion? :lol:
:lol: Almost spilled a drink.

One Wolf

Scholar
densomething said:
What do you think about an expendable inventory like the ones I made?

i like the idea of expandable inventory, since i also like the large icons. nice artwork on those.

and VD, if possible, enabling the mousewheel for scrolling invent. items would be a big plus. clicking the up and down arrows in fallout pissed me off to no end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom