Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ITZ HAPPENING in EVE Online

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ulminati's pic sums up EVE for newcomers pretty well. It's pretty much the grand champion of Old Boys' Clubs for MMOs outside of private servers.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
We need to get some bittervet in this thread to deliver the Reading Rainbow-esque "You can do ANYTHING!" inspirational EVE Online propaganda speech, a longstanding tradition for fresh pyramid sch- I mean, new players who've realize they've stumbled into a pyram- I mean, who are frustrated with the learning curve and can't see where they'll be in six months if they just purchase PL- I mean, apply themselves.

MoLAoS

If it helps, a certain obsessive group of text based space MMORPG players who play multiple games with similar politics and free for all game mechanics who got pissed when Goons shit on a browser game a couple hundred of them played are banding together to get revenge on the Goons in EVE. Its like 4000 people who can afford to play MMOs 8 hours a day and whose text based MMOs are easily more tedious then EVE ISK grinding. I played Space Federation: Galactic Conquest with them and hundreds of them had been in alliances who successfully set off the round ending galactic super weapon multiple times and there was a recruiting post on one of their numerous private forums attempting to convince less mainline members, especially who already play EVE, to join up. Apparently they super math nerds calculated a way to generate 40trillion net profit ISK starting from the ground up in a mere 2 years while paying for all accounts with PLEX. Then they'll get into nullsec in a few shitty back end systems, build up a few hundred Titans as fast as possible and blue whatever powerbloc is going after CFC at the time and join in. The broad strokes aren't a secret either. Telling goons you will crush them and then coming in years later when they have forgotten and eating them alive in the biggest space warfare game ever with real Goon RMT on the line just makes it sweeter than if you ambush them.

Although its only 4000 people, well its like Kickstarter, there is a main goal and stretch goals, its 4000 of the math lovingest, tedium shrugging offest, most organized space browser strategy gamers in existence. I wonder how Goons will handle 400 people with coalition level Titan fleets who all play 8 hours a day or more and have multiple monitors and special combat languages specifically for multi boxing, well text games not 3d but still semi real time combat, and who think nothing of blowing 5 hours a day on economic activities like mining ops and planetary interaction.

If you've never been to the depths of non-profit and private space empire browser MMOs you won't know that a lot of them require calculus for optimizing research algorithms and linear algebra and geometry for coordinating faux-3d space battles to do stuff like plotting intercepts courses. Imagine something with a volume 1000x that of EVE online in both star systems an actual space but it doesn't ruin the servers because it doesn't simulate actual space, just fleet coordinates.

Goons play like care bears in comparison. I'm too lazy to join up myself and I play EVE on a laptop, but man are those Goon tears going to be glorious when they have to retreat to low sec or Provi because they can't hold Sov.

hiver

Why is any of that so surprisingly shocking in a game where only worthwhile thing to do is combat? with economy and resources like they are and environment being as it is.
plus, its not like anything happens to anyone either, for real (except various internet schizophrenic escapades and some money lost... which would have been spent anyway on something else).

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Edited: previous post was me brain farting

Alot of mmo's use to be like this. (not the legal botting though)

Till WoW happened

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I quite frankly don't have the time to devote to inclined old-school MMOs anymore, but I'd still prefer them to post-WoW decline, even if I can't play any of them.

MoLAoS

I stopped playing MMOs for a while when I was working on my exploratory strategy game. I didn't have time to play ATITD and I was still thinking I was too far behind to catch up in EVE, and all the MMOs I could play in the time I had were too disgusting to me to get in to. I don't want to pay money every month for a single player game or deal with purposeless grind so all WoW clones were out. In my whole MMO career I spent the most time on browser MMOs because you could do all the cool stuff like EVE, although only with text, and restarting rounds so that you didn't have to deal with the GoonBlob. I actually do like one thing about EVE though. Multi accounts. Most browser MMOs don't allow multies even if you pay a sub.

MoLAoS

right now eve is "work hard for somebody else's glory".

Nullsec's been that way since I started playing in 2006, though the entrenchment does seem to worsen every year.

The entrenchment is a direct result of shitty design.

This. 1000 times this. We could have 100 alliances with coalitions of no more than 4-5 and most not in one owning Sov on their own merits. Instead we have the shitfest of current EVE. 3 or so massive coalitions, majority of alliances are renting or holding alliances and somewhat similar percents of corps are renting or holding corps. This shit is both a direct result of CCP mismanagement and the Goon blobbing obsession. We need more systems and a large amount of difficulty in holding more than say, 100 systems by a single alliance/coalition.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Nullsec's been that way since I started playing in 2006, though the entrenchment does seem to worsen every year.

This. 1000 times this. We could have 100 alliances with coalitions of no more than 4-5 and most not in one owning Sov on their own merits. Instead we have the shitfest of current EVE. 3 or so massive coalitions, majority of alliances are renting or holding alliances and somewhat similar percents of corps are renting or holding corps. This shit is both a direct result of CCP mismanagement and the Goon blobbing obsession. We need more systems and a large amount of difficulty in holding more than say, 100 systems by a single alliance/coalition.

How is it the Goons fault that blobbing is the most effective way to play the game? They neither started it nor are they the only ones that are obsessed with blobbing.

MoLAoS

How is it the Goons fault that blobbing is the most effective way to play the game? They neither started it nor are they the only ones that are obsessed with blobbing.

Goons blob in every game. And they do it hard and fast and they have an almost identical hierarchy, too. Blobbing is only the most effective way to play if you want to handle boring carebear bullshit to make mittens his RMT cash. The most effective way to play if you want an interesting game is a lot different. Furthermore Goons have their cradle to grave SA recruitment program. Honestly it reminds me of the way coalitions on the Asian server operate. Would other people have to form massive coalitions if not for the Goon influence? I doubt it. The whole drama of TEST was that they wanted to be able to limit Goon influence and thus invited too many disparate alliances who hate each other and so they blew up and failscaded.

Its true that CCP has design issues that encourage blobbing but the Goons specifically make a lot of effort to exploit that and use the resource of SA as a farm for grunts to help them blob better. Goons are the dominant political force in the game and they control the meta. Almost all the other blobs like Test and N3 formed to fight the Goon blob. You'll see what I mean when either the Illumination or the Machines destroy the Goons and then consciously choose not to enforce blobbing mechanics.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't play EvE but I think this means Russia is winning.

So I guess in the end communism did prevail. Almost wish I played this game to take part in the tears and butthurt.

MoLAoS

I don't play EvE but I think this means Russia is winning.

So I guess in the end communism did prevail. Almost wish I played this game to take part in the tears and butthurt.

The Russians may be making a comeback if the CFC can stomp N3/PL hard enough, which it appears they can.

BrickManslab

Educated
You'll see what I mean when either the Illumination or the Machines destroy the Goons and then consciously choose not to enforce blobbing mechanics.

Well, regardless of whether your army of black-ops autistic ninjas can secretly accumulate the resources needed to produce hundreds of titans and then somehow build them all unnoticed for the eight weeks per titan it takes, the current shape of EVE meta is a creation of the existing (horrible, shitty) sovereignty mechanics.

So no, without a CCP revamp this is never going to happen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's fairly clear that CCP knows the turbomegacoalitions could use some shaking up to freshen the game. Rubicon ("chip away at the large alliances" etc.) is proof of that, as was Apocrypha in its time, since it created a new type of largely non-carebear frontier to colonize and presented new opportunities for fun and fortune. Arguably, Apocrypha was one of the very best EVE expansions.

I knew the moment I read about Rubicon that it wasn't going to have any teeth, and since I haven't heard a peep about any turbomegacoalition being even slightly inconvenienced by the new mechanics/ships/modules introduced, I'm going to assume it didn't do shit. Can anyone confirm?

roll-a-die

Magister
It's fairly clear that CCP knows the turbomegacoalitions could use some shaking up to freshen the game. Rubicon ("chip away at the large alliances" etc.) is proof of that, as was Apocrypha in its time, since it created a new type of largely non-carebear frontier to colonize and presented new opportunities for fun and fortune. Arguably, Apocrypha was one of the very best EVE expansions.

I knew the moment I read about Rubicon that it wasn't going to have any teeth, and since I haven't heard a peep about any turbomegacoalition being even slightly inconvenienced by the new mechanics/ships/modules introduced, I'm going to assume it didn't do shit. Can anyone confirm?
Cynojammers are a pain, since it means that carebearing is easier, and you have to pop them before you can bring in your supercarrier. Titans don't give a shit though. The sappers are funny, because anyone can loot from them, so on the moons my alliance mates still operate, they have 2 of them that they just clean out every morning after downtime. Since it's not worth tearing them down. And they already checked the PoS's every day anyway. Dscan doesn't matter in nullsex, but for the wormbro's I know, that new dscan blocker is fantastic. Because it could be one dude, or someone could have rolled your c6 and have 13 carriers in the radius just waiting. It added a bit of uncertainty and fear. So no none of the changes have done anything to Nullbeardom.

MoLAoS

You'll see what I mean when either the Illumination or the Machines destroy the Goons and then consciously choose not to enforce blobbing mechanics.

Well, regardless of whether your army of black-ops autistic ninjas can secretly accumulate the resources needed to produce hundreds of titans and then somehow build them all unnoticed for the eight weeks per titan it takes, the current shape of EVE meta is a creation of the existing (horrible, shitty) sovereignty mechanics.

So no, without a CCP revamp this is never going to happen.

Its the production of the titans that is at issue. Buying/mining the resources and BPOs and what not is trivial. A dedicated player can make 1tril-2tril a year with only 3-4 hours a day of gameplay if they optimize properly. Well, as more people get involved of course profits go down due to supply glut. This is with being a rental alliance and maybe living on wormhole space for various purposes. Safety of Titan production is a metric of time mostly. If you align directly with Goons and snow them by appearing to be good allies or spill the beans to N3 that may make it easier. Hard to say.

I'm not in the loop since my identity is too public, especially with all the Goon trashing I do. Also, aside from being offensive, referring to the people involved as autistic is inaccurate. They are extremely intelligent and math oriented but still high functioning socially. They just do text based MMOs instead of Paradox games or RPGs or football or w/e as their hobby.

Actually the Machines thing isn't Goon related. It applies to anyone in nullsec.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Eve is a fascinating game. You hear insane stories of petty wars and such, it drives you to give the game a try.

But then when you do, you realize just how fucking boring most of it is.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wtf, Most of the posts in here Sound like a foreign language to me, with this goons stuff etc :S

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

Goons blob in every game. And they do it hard and fast and they have an almost identical hierarchy, too. Blobbing is only the most effective way to play if you want to handle boring carebear bullshit to make mittens his RMT cash. The most effective way to play if you want an interesting game is a lot different. Furthermore Goons have their cradle to grave SA recruitment program. Honestly it reminds me of the way coalitions on the Asian server operate. Would other people have to form massive coalitions if not for the Goon influence? I doubt it. The whole drama of TEST was that they wanted to be able to limit Goon influence and thus invited too many disparate alliances who hate each other and so they blew up and failscaded.

Its true that CCP has design issues that encourage blobbing but the Goons specifically make a lot of effort to exploit that and use the resource of SA as a farm for grunts to help them blob better. Goons are the dominant political force in the game and they control the meta. Almost all the other blobs like Test and N3 formed to fight the Goon blob. You'll see what I mean when either the Illumination or the Machines destroy the Goons and then consciously choose not to enforce blobbing mechanics.

you use a lot of words to tell us that the goons have friends, that this is bad and that bob never existed and test has been made to kill goons.

MoLAoS

you use a lot of words to tell us that the goons have friends, that this is bad and that bob never existed and test has been made to kill goons.

There is a huge difference between having friends and fielding an obscene number of pilots from private communities plus bluing half of null so you can never lose.

If you think Goons wouldn't shit a brick if another group with their numbers came in you are wrong. Or even someone with 1/10th of their numbers and serious organization.

Its not only Goons, they just control the largest private forum community and thus are the most successful and have also been around a long time. Current EVE nullsec is like the ancient stagnant rounds of OGame except a new round doesn't start up for new groups to have a chance. OGame had a similar cycle or large coalition blobbing and people quitting due to boredom because their was no one large enough left for their version of tidi inducing fight, called fleet crashing. Fleet crashing was the fastest way to get resources and also the largest kind of fight and when one or two powers became too dominant it was so rare people quit from the tedium. Even people who went the route of endless mine upgrading never had a chance. They had endless resources but the maximum ship speed with the highest level buildings was so slow they couldn't fleet up fast enough before getting fleet crashed by established powers with large existing warfleets. That's the same problem titan producing currently has and it was created identically. Seriously. You built jumpgates on moons and had staging systems in each galaxy and using good force projection you could deploy anywhere to get a good fleet crash.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
i still dont see how it is the goons fault that eve is shit. ccp designed nullsec around the numbers are everything principle and now its the goons fault that they can field the most people because ... they can? what are they supposed to do? put every goon in its own corps an e-hounourably promise to only shoot each other?

plus, the blobbing was started by BoB. and it became pretty apparent to everyone in this days that it's the best way to play nullsec. everyone else could have won the blob race. the goons did. ipso facto it's the goons fault.

sorry but this doesnt swing with me mate. you have two options:
a) stop playing a game when you dislike its basic mechanics
b) get more friends than goons into said game and counterblob

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom