Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline J_C fails his Codex check...again - Betrayal at Krondor is the best RPG ever, but I'm not feeling it

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why even bother with bolts.
Despair thy eyes and whack them to death.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I'm gonna give up on this game. I'm playing for 3 hours today, and I realized that it doesn't grab me at all. I am bored. Movement is cumbersome, the story might be well written, but I don't find it particularly interesting. Too much backtracking back and forth. Too much vague discriptions about quests. I'm too old for this.

It seems I failed my Codex check afterall, but I think I will spend my time playing Broken Age instead. :troll:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Too much vague discriptions about quests.
But this is the thing that makes especially Chapter III so much fun. It actually feels like you're solving a mystery when the game mostly feeds you rumors and half-truths, and you have to figure out yourself which leads to follow. One of the best "detective quests" in any RPG, really, and you suck for not finishing it.

For a game that mostly consists of travelling from A to B, fighting trash mobs and occasionally clicking on interesting things on the screen, BaK does a great job at keeping things interesting by feeding you just the right amount of information. I'd imagine that if every quest was marked into a journal and/or had clear-cut objectives, the game would feel much more formulaic.

Xorazm

Cipher
Too much vague discriptions about quests.
But this is the thing that makes especially Chapter III so much fun. It actually feels like you're solving a mystery when the game mostly feeds you rumors and half-truths, and you have to figure out yourself which leads to follow. One of the best "detective quests" in any RPG, really, and you suck for not finishing it.

If you ever find yourself wondering why modern RPGs ram quest markers down your throat and spell out every last detail in your journal so that the entire exercise is bled dry of subtlety, just remember that even Codex regulars can't stomach a game that trusts you to figure out things for yourself.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry J_C you're nice and all, but for the good of the herd, you have to be culled before your memes spread.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think I'm gonna give up on this game. I'm playing for 3 hours today, and I realized that it doesn't grab me at all. I am bored. Movement is cumbersome, the story might be well written, but I don't find it particularly interesting. Too much backtracking back and forth. Too much vague discriptions about quests. I'm too old for this.

It seems I failed my Codex check afterall, but I think I will spend my time playing Broken Age instead. :troll:

poor j_c doesnt know wot do without his quest compass

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm too much of a newfag for this.
Fixed.
Oh, mighty oldfag, you are 10 month older than me.

I don't need quest compass when the game presents the information in a clear manner. For example: In Silden the innkeeper wanted me to break into a house near Silden. So I went out and looked for houses outside the city. After a while I had to look up a walkthrough, because I didn't find shit. It turned out you have to search for the house ON the city screen and find the house next to the inn.
And it is not about quest marker. I just don't enjoy the gameplay, travelling back and forth between the same cities, clicking on houses which look the same and so forth.

Sorry J_C you're nice and all, but for the good of the herd, you have to be culled before your memes spread.
I just said that the combat of Fallout is not that good, and i was not alone with that opinion.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Combat in Fallout is not exceptional, but it isn't bad. But your actual sin is preferring quest compass popamole.

Behead those that didn't complete realms of arkarnia by finding directions at taverns!

edit: achievement unlocked, lost at a map screen :lol:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Combat in Fallout is not exceptional, but it isn't bad. But your actual sin is preferring quest compass popamole.

Behead those that didn't complete realms of arkarnia by finding directions at taverns!
I didn't say that combat in FO is bad, it is just not that good.

I don't prefer a quest compass. I would be Okay with a general journal ala Baldur's Gate1, or the basic journal of Might and Magic VI. I know tha codex lacks nuance, and many people can only think is absolutes. Something is either good or shit, black and white, popamole combat or chess, full quest compass or vague discriptions etc. I you think my problem is the lack of a big yellow quest marker, then be it.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I you think my problem is the lack of a big yellow quest marker

MTIwNjA4NjMzODE2OTA5MzI0.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm too much of a newfag for this.
Fixed.
Oh, mighty oldfag, you are 10 month older than me.

I don't need quest compass when the game presents the information in a clear manner. For example: In Silden the innkeeper wanted me to break into a house near Silden. So I went out and looked for houses outside the city. After a while I had to look up a walkthrough, because I didn't find shit. It turned out you have to search for the house ON the city screen and find the house next to the inn.
And it is not about quest marker. I just don't enjoy the gameplay, travelling back and forth between the same cities, clicking on houses which look the same and so forth.

Please just stop, youre emberassing yourself. Anyone who has played the game knows that you have to be absolutely lazy or an actual retard to require a walkthrough in that situation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Yes, I'm lazy because I'm not enjoying the game enough to spend time to figure out stuff like this. If I would enjoy it, I would be happy to spend more time.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thats some nice circular logic right there.
Anyways, you make objectively false statements about the game. The innkeepers instructions are absolutely clear, theres no way you could misunderstand them when paying attention.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I dont fucking care.

Anyway, Betrayal at Krondor might be the best RPG ever, but I'm not feeling it. I'm too stupid and lazy to enjoy this marvelous achievement called BaK. I hope everyone feels superior now.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If that's what counts as decent in your book I can understand the measurement you use to declare everything else fantastic :troll:

polo

Magister
I must say im enjoying it a little bit less now, but i think its mostly my fault for being OCD Loot whore. Im at act 2, and while im not looting everything now, im too well equiped. Most fights are a joke, i beat up 5 trolls in act 1 actually (that was the last challenging battle i had, which i won after 3 tries using owyn sprites magic).
So i must ask, do enemies get considerably harder even when you are VERY well equiped?
Backtracking might be a pain sometimes, but temple teleportation helps a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom