Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kyn - RTWP party based RPG

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Just read an article about upcoming Dutch indie games. One of the games is Kyn, a top down, Rtwp rpg made by two guys.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvEMdioBLY

Combat looks smoother then PoE :D. Art is a million times worse though (ofcourse, 3d etc).
Also combat is very fast paced. Looks a bit like a singleplayer party based dota2 but with pause.

Anyway, if combat is decent it might be fun?

Edit:

Long gameplay vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXsuPBSsqqU

UI is atrocious, hope they improve that.

bfLv9HO.png

hsmUuvt.png

lzpwUe2.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kinda reminds me of Dungeon Siege. I don't see how you can tell anything about the combat from that trailer, though.

Frusciante

Cipher
Kinda reminds me of Dungeon Siege. I don't see how you can tell anything about the combat from that trailer, though.

Yes I was watching an hour long gameplay vid. Forgot to include that.

Edit: Some extra info:

Max party size is 6.

You only have very limited active abilities (in the vid its only three per character). I'm interested to see how this works out. I always though RTWP games would be better with far less active skills (micromanagement) but with more impact on the battlefield.

The dvelopper gives an interesting example of higher AI levels. He's talking about a group of shielded warriors with shamans in the back. On normal the shamans just stay back but on hard they actually form roman formations with the shamas surrounded by the warriors.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
There haven't been any posts on the official site since last April. On the greenlight forums they haven't posted anything since July. Soooo, vapourware?

Also, it apparently isn't fully RTWP. This is what they posted on the greenlight forums:

For example, you can't fully pause the game, but you can slow down time.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like in Game of Thrones probably.

Yeah the longer video that was posted showed how it works, which looked a lot like it was in the GoT RPG, but the dev said that it's going to be 5x faster in the finished game.

Sykar

Arcane
Yes I was watching an hour long gameplay vid. Forgot to include that.

Edit: Some extra info:

Max party size is 6.

You only have very limited active abilities (in the vid its only three per character). I'm interested to see how this works out. I always though RTWP games would be better with far less active skills (micromanagement) but with more impact on the battlefield.

The dvelopper gives an interesting example of higher AI levels. He's talking about a group of shielded warriors with shamans in the back. On normal the shamans just stay back but on hard they actually form roman formations with the shamas surrounded by the warriors.

That's some serious:decline:.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It looks impressive for a game made by two guys, but I don't think I'll enjoy the combat. The trailer and short part of the gameplay video I watched gave off a WoW-like vibe.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Reminds me of Krater, that Swedish action RPG from not too long ago.

Frusciante

Cipher
That's some serious:decline:.

Why?

What is the end goal of a RTWP combat system? I think it should be challenging and interesting tactical combat. IE like combat is great but it's also very micromanagement heavy. A system with fewer abilities but with more impact on the combat might make for a better system. It should be more about the tactical choice then about spamming abiltiies.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There haven't been any posts on the official site since last April. On the greenlight forums they haven't posted anything since July. Soooo, vapourware?

Also, it apparently isn't fully RTWP. This is what they posted on the greenlight forums:
I saw an announcement trailer of this coming to PS4. I saw this last November, so it's probably not vaporware.

Renevent

Cipher
This released today...anyone grab it? Impressions? I've watched a few gameplay vids looks ok, might pick it up later today after work since it's only $20.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Getting a strong D:OS sans turn-based combat vibe just from the screenshots. It's very colorful and the inventory looks like an absolute clusterfuck.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Melee looks slippery as fuck with all those ranged mobs kiting player characters without any penalties. Hate to say it but i kinda miss POE's engagement system here :M

Well, i have way too many Jeff Vogel games on my backlist to pay money for that kinda stuff anyways.

Renevent

Cipher
Ok so picked it up...played about two hours here's the basics so far:

-Game is RTwP and controls pretty well. Not a fan of RTwP but it's not actually pause...you can only slow down the action and only so much as it's a resource. It's functional though, so far I only have two characters but you can control them independently, give them order, use skills, etc. Pretty simple so far but on the second level noticing there could be a bit more complexity. For instance, the groups are getting bigger, some of the mobs require taking them out first (healers, heavy mobs).

-First level is really a tutorial I think. Basically it appears there's a central village/hub once you get past the first map. From there you can visit the merchant, talk to townspeople, level up your characters, and get ready for the next mission. You select on a larger map your next mission and start on the mission map. So far they've been pretty damn big, with a few optional areas and missions. Nothing ground breaking so far, but some fun little touches like finding out one of the butchers is using villagers and stuff like that. You basically get some gold/items and that's it. Once the primary mission is complete you can return to the main town and level up, buy more items, etc.

-Aside from some minor side mission stuff, there's also some interesting optional puzzles I've run across. The best one was kinda like the scene from Die Hard: With a Vengeance where they had to fill a bucket with 4 gallons of water with a 5 and 3 gallon bucket. Not sure how many of these there are, but if there are more puzzles like this that would be great.

-Leveling works like this...after each mission each character gets points. You have three stats you can invest in (body, mind, and control), with each of these having multiple tiers of skills. For each tier in a specific stat you reach, it opens up those skills to use on your character. Each character can have 2 skills equipped at any time, and you also have a feed skill which uses a base gem (there's like 15 I think). These feed gems modify the feed skill, so basically a life gem will make it a healing well, or a death gem will make it an offensive skill. Kinda cool. You can respec in town at will with no penalty.

-The item system seems decent so far. There's (at least I've seen) 3 different item types (standard white/green/blue) tier system and I think there's also legendary/unique weapons and armor as well. There's all sorts of modifiers like attack speed, resistance, elemental damage...basic stuff but I think it can def scratch that loot itch. Weapons and armors have requirements built around the three stats (not character levels)...so a sword might need 6 body and 3 control or a staff needs 7 mind and 1 body.

-Graphics are nice, kind of reminds me Titan Quest.

-If you are a story/dialog person and/or care about serious quality dialog I'd steer clear. Most NPC's have one liners to say and thematically it's pretty close to something like the Divinity games in tone and delivery...albeit there's even less dialog (good!).

-While the presentation of the game is generally good you can def tell it's from a smaller studio. Some annoyances are while you can pan the camera around, you can't rotate it. There's no button to highlight interactive environmental stuff (chests, lootable rocks, etc). No rebinding of keys (at least that I saw). It's a bit lacking sounds effects/music wise. The music is nice, but it loops and isn't dynamic. There's tutorial messages but after the first set they disappear...but in the menu they continue to accumulate so didn't even notice they were there for the first 30 mins.

Anyways that's about it, if anyone has any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them. Overall the game is pretty fun just for the mission/exploration/party building/looting aspect. For $20 it ain't bad and as long as you aren't needing the next BGII I think you could spend your money in worse ways :P

Renevent

Cipher
Played a little more, overall impressions are the same. I will say quality wise I think it reminds a lot of Numen: Contest of Heroes:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/60800/

Basically booth are pretty good looking and kinda play similar. The levels feel very similar too...large with lots of enemies scattered about and some secret stuff to find...albeit a lot of it feel kinda empty even if there is a treasure chest tucked away.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So I tried if for a bit...it feels quite generic and reeks of random generation/level scaling crap, like playing some mmo in single player.
You can't rotate the camera, if you can't see something, sucks to be you.
When I load a save, one of the characters decides run through the ground off the world.
Can't be bothered to restart.

Cadmus

Arcane
this looks like shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom