Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Legend of Grimrock Review Round-Up Part 2

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They couldn't afford to buy didn't get a perfect ten? Not a single one? They're doomed. :D

The tens are being saved for Underworld Gold.

I'd almost prefer it got poor reviews so I can feel more elite.

Well then I'm as ELITE AS FUCK liking as I do Two Turds and Alpha Protocol. :smug:

made

Arcane
Eh, don't indies usually get favorable scores regardless of quality? Especially the pretty ones. And this one has the nostalgia bonus that lets the 16yr old reviewer rave about the good old days when he played the original DM on his Atari.

zeitgeist

Magister
One feature that developers Almost Human have failed to grasp from the past is depth and balance. For a start there are only three classes (Fighter, Rogue and Mage) to choose from, effectively destroying replayability since your team of four will inevitably contain all character types, but also each class, with the possible exception of the Mage, feels like it is a weak shadow of the avatars we are used to seeing in role playing games. Fighters for example have no option than to simply pick a single weapon type from the start and level this up as they progress since splitting your points across other styles will inevitably result in a weaker character. Furthermore, the Fighters’ options are limited to just a basic attack, with random elements causing extra damage. There are no special moves, double handed fighting or clever tactics available. This results in rather uninspired character progression that remains unchanging throughout the game. The Rogue, which arguably is actually a bit of a misnomer, fares even worse since they have been stripped of their common roguish duties such as picking locks and disarming traps which are oddly omitted from the game. And, since their missile attacks seem neutered to the point of being virtually useless, the class seems completely irrelevant.

I thought Codex didn't like ridiculously oversimplified mechanics?

In any case, making clones of old games is a worthless endeavor if you don't pick a game that represents the pinnacle of the genre in at least some aspect (not to mention that there should ideally be some improvement to everything else).

Shannow

Waster of Time
In any case, making clones of old games is a worthless endeavor if you don't pick a game that represents the pinnacle of the genre in at least some aspect (not to mention that there should ideally be some improvement to everything else).
So what real time blob dungeon crawler was better than Dungeon Master in your opinion?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Why didn't they make the combat turn-based? Still going to check it out though.
Because they're making a Dungeon Master clone, not a Wizardry clone?
Okay, so why no Wizardry Clone? Alas, guess I shouldn't complain. New good dungeon crawlers are hard to come by and making it turn-based sure would be a turn-off for a lot of people making it less popular, I still prefer my dungeon crawls to be turn based though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Why not a Doom-clone? Sim City? Siege? Pac-Man? Pong?

Because the makers liked Dungeon Master and wanted to make a DM-clone.

I would have preferred (at least gameplay-wise) a Wizardry-clone, too. But my tolerance for the same (stupid) questions in every thread about this game is wearing thin...

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I thought Codex didn't like ridiculously oversimplified mechanics.
I kind of agree that the character system isn't super complex. I haven't played on hard mode (yet), but I can say that I doubt the attribute, class and race selection is worth agonizing over too much. The system as it is is fine and well-balanced, it's just not especially interesting.

The real strength of the game is in equipment choice, managing resources like food and alchemical stuffs, surviving combat, and solving puzzles. The character system could be better but it's not really something that hurts the game itself. It's not like they made a tactical D&D-style game with only three classes - they made one about running around dungeons and hitting stuff with weapons.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Thing is, when the word "Dungeon Crawler" gets thrown around, pretty much everyone automatically thinks about these awesome turn-based dungeon-crawl experiences they had (well, people who actually play videogames a bit longer than 4 or 5 years). When I first read about this game and I read "Dungeon Crawler" my face went smiling, and then I read real-time combat and it went sad again, because there is only a few good real-time games in all genres combined that I personally enjoyed (and I guess most people here experienced the same). So when people go and say "guys, let's make a dungeon crawler" there had to be some reason why to make it real-time and not turn-based. It can't just be "I liked Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master" because I can't imagine anyone enjoying those games, and never having tried Wizardry or not liking it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I also want to point out:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/LegendOfGrimrock/achievements

(spoilers)

Going by those stats, only 25% of the journalists reviewing the game played past levels 3-4. Only 22% played halfway through. Take that for what you will, but it's depressing as hell for me to see all these 9/10 reviews and yet so few of the reviewers actually bothered to play the game past the beginning.

And for full disclosure's sake, I did beat the game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Saark, read Brother None's posts in this thread. They basically summarize everything I'd have to say on the subject of "Thing is, when the word "Dungeon Crawler" gets thrown around, pretty much everyone automatically thinks about these awesome turn-based...".

sea, one cannot "beat" a game. You wanted to say that you "played through" or "finished it". ;)

Repressed Homosexual

(spoilers)

Going by those stats, only 25% of the journalists reviewing the game played past levels 3-4. Only 22% played halfway through. Take that for what you will, but it's depressing as hell for me to see all these 9/10 reviews and yet so few of the reviewers actually bothered to play the game past the beginning.

Keep a snapshot of this, and bring it up in case you have a Gamasutra discussion with someone about something tangentially related to Grimrick and the person is being a bit lame. :P

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned

(spoilers)

W...what? And here I was about to go "Oh, gaming journalists do swallow up a lot of AAA spunk without missing a beat. but they CAN recognise something good on its own merit!"

Proven wring again.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I approve of this shit. Has a bit of a 'my first crawler' feel which probably explains why as many reviews are glowing enough(even taking into account that the reviewers hardly played much of it). It's crawling stripped to it's bare bones, no detailed tactical combat(but then RT crawlers never had that), no truly obscure puzzles(at least early on), great simple interface, rune casting is as user friendly as I've seen anywhere. Engine is great. I really hope that it is used for more elaborate things in the future. Would be a shame to limit it to just mazes.

Seeing the map of the Grimrock world I hope that's just more than a tease or backstory padding and actually is a hint of plans to come...

Best thing to come out of Finland since Mannerheim.

Stabwound

Arcane
Seeing the map of the Grimrock world I hope that's just more than a tease or backstory padding and actually is a hint of plans to come...
Seeing the success of the game so far, plus the fact that the game itself mentions "future expansions" I think it's safe to say that there will be future installments of the game. :smug:

I've only been able to play 10 minutes so far, but I like how its starting so far.

That steam page showing the reviewer progress is pretty hilarious and telling, though. Isn't the game only about 15 hours in total? So, only 20% made it halfway through, which we can estimate is 7 hours or less? It's good that this style of game is getting good reviews, but pretty stupid considering this is probably common practice in the industry.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Played it during lunch, approve greatly. I got murdered when I backed into a corner and had a tree creature on side and an AOE poision mushroom creature on the other. Death ensued. :thumbsup:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
That steam page showing the reviewer progress is pretty hilarious and telling, though. Isn't the game only about 15 hours in total? So, only 20% made it halfway through, which we can estimate is 7 hours or less? It's good that this style of game is getting good reviews, but pretty stupid considering this is probably common practice in the industry.

What's to bet that even ME, DA and Oblivion/Skyrim were hardly completed by reviewers. Of course the review copy of those games probably came with a synopsis of the game, the endings, and a helpful guide about what to accentuate etc. thus making actually completing those much longer games, moot.

zeitgeist

Magister
Of course the review copy of those games probably came with a synopsis of the game, the endings, and a helpful guide about what to accentuate etc. thus making actually completing those much longer games, moot.
I'd be surprised if this one didn't, sending a "please retell this in your own words" sheet is standard PR practice.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Of course the review copy of those games probably came with a synopsis of the game, the endings, and a helpful guide about what to accentuate etc. thus making actually completing those much longer games, moot.
I'd be surprised if this one didn't, sending a "please retell this in your own words" sheet is standard PR practice.

Wouldn't have thought they'd have the staff or the time for such a thing, not to mention that they'd know they wouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Yeah, just checked the credits. It is just 4 guys and no marketing department. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom