Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: WH40k Chaos Gate - Looking for new recruits!

eklektyk

Erudite
well since everybody rolls another char if U got stilll some meatshields roll me in too...

no mater in what squad as long as i get to swing BIG Hammer <tm>

oh and char name : Hefajstos :obviously:

Yeesh

Magister
THREAD NEEDS MOAR:

Bro_Yeesh_S.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
- BATTLE REPORT VII: DAEMONS BURN IN HELL, TOO -

m7mage001.jpg
m7mage002.jpg
m7mage003.jpg
Terminators. Super-humans wearing the armor of tanks. Captain Root of 1st Company and three of his battle-brothers have been with us for a while in their tank-suits, with a fifth tactical dreadnought armor in reserve.
m7mage004.jpg
Expecting more tunnels like the previous mission, I deploy a Tactical Squad and the Devastator Squad with the Terminators.
m7mage005.jpg
Brother-Captain Root, storm bolter and power fist.
m7mage006.jpg
Brother Jack, with heavy flamer and chainfist.
m7mage007.jpg
Brother Pistor, with storm bolter and chainfist.
m7mage008.jpg
Brother Axe, with thunder hammer and storm shield.
The fifth Termi-- Wait, it should be in reserve.
The fifth Terminator unlatches his helm anyway. His face betrays a Hero of our company, a Brother whose squad has suffered much and had to be remade...
m7mage009.jpg
The assault cannon in Brother Storyfag's grip revs slowly in subdued anger. He will avenge his sergeant -- Timoleon -- and the other battle-brothers that have fallen during this campaign.
m7mage010.jpg
@Oscar, see, you are in this one.
m7mage011.jpg
Sergeant Gondolin grabs the master-crafted bolter.
m7mage012.jpg
The Librarian will neither speak nor reveal his name. His helmet is his face.
We march for Macragge, and we shall know no fear!
m7mage013.jpg
The stench of Chaos.
It's not an easy smell to pinpoint. Imagine pheromones in the air -- chemicals brimming with blood and lust -- swirling with a subtle layer of air that smells too ancient to be alive...
m7mage014.jpg
The undertone is hard to place, however... It seems different with every sniff. And your brain doesn't hurt unless you think about it. Don't think about it.
Nothing matters.
m7mage015.jpg
Two bunkers in front of a larger building. The warp gate is most likely in the latter.
It seems like my Assault units could have been able to jump around. Alas.
m7mage016.jpg
We are provided good cover where we dropped on the hill.
m7mage017.jpg
First, we must neutralize the enemy's long-ranged capabilities.
m7mage018.jpg
Each bunker has a missile launcher. Those traitor-brothers die first. Another mans a heavy bolter in the southern bunker, but that won't threaten the Ultramarines if they position properly.
m7mage019.jpg
Some say Space Marines are the pinnacle of mankind. Others say that they are not men.
That they are not. They are Astartes.
m7mage020.jpg
And Astartes are craftsmen with their weapons as musicians are with their instruments.
Well, the Space Marines at least color within the lines. I'm looking at you, Imperial Guard.
m7mage022.jpg
While Storyfag snips one missile launcher from the enemy's hands, Slips takes aim with his own launcher.
m7mage023.jpg
The sight wavers too much for his liking, so he shifts his stance and braces again.
Better.
m7mage024.jpg
And dead.
m7mage025.jpg
The other Terminators move to flank and assault before the enemy can react. They can only walk, not run, though their pace is ambling and does not leave me wanting.
m7mage026.jpg
Four men form an echelon to provide fire to the front and the left flank, heavy weapons of course set. The rest stay back in reserve and pop smoke grenades.
m7mage027.jpg
The alarms sound. Finally. Foul, inefficient traitors. In the distance, Lindblum thinks he spies a Terminator round the far corner of the hall.
m7mage028.jpg
And then Word Bearers in power armor burst out the door, led by another Terminator. Smell their bloodlust.
m7mage029.jpg
Two of our Terminators arrive at the bunker, but...
m7mage030.jpg
Before they can move, Brother Storyfag again ascends out of cover. He seemed to move in a blink, faster but somehow out of sync with the world.
m7mage031.jpg
And, in a blink...
m7mage032.jpg
The traitors are dead.
m7mage033.jpg
The squads switch priority to the enemy Terminators. Caught out in the open, we have been blessed with an early opportunity to take them down.
m7mage035.jpg
Oscar aims
m7mage036.jpg
One Terminator dies.
m7mage037.jpg
Boris pulses his trigger
m7mage038.jpg
Another Terminator dies.
m7mage041.jpg
The owners of the house will wake up to a bloody doorstep.
m7mage042.jpg
One last defender on the upper level of the bunker. He is essentially smothered by Smashing Axe's shadow.
m7mage044.jpg
The shadow jerks and a lightning bolt hits the Word Bearer's armor as the Thunder Hammer smashes down, pronouncing judgment.
m7mage046.jpg
With the immediate threats neutralized, Oscar climbs upon the highest hill and spies the enemy through the open chasm of a doorway.
m7mage047.jpg
Terminators.. and Daemons!
m7mage049.jpg
It matches with the description of 'Pink Horrors' in the Codex Astartes.
m7mage048.jpg
Bolters will do no good where they were on the hill, the distance to the hall so great. They move to replace the Terminators in the bunker, and man it with heavy weapons.
m7mage050.jpg
Whereas the Terminators move in even closer.
m7mage051.jpg
Jack nearly reaches the door before two Flesh Hounds materialize. As if they were always there, but not two seconds ago.
m7mage053.jpg
Oscar already had the sight of his heavy bolter in line with the doorway.
m7mage054.jpg
He guns one down.
m7mage055.jpg
From within the bunker, Podex aims
m7mage056.jpg
The hell-dog's head flies in every direction like explosive dysentary.
m7mage058.jpg
Smashing Axe leans into the doorway as best as his hulking armor will let him, sneaking a peek at the enemy composition. One Terminator, three regular Traitor Marines, and one Daemon. At least.
m7mage059.jpg
Meanwhile a few Ultramarines have stayed back in reserve, and now move towards the center. They pop a smoke grenade as they are out in the open.
m7mage060.jpg
The Purple Horror bursts out the doorway and tries to latch onto Brother Jack's armor with its long, spindly arms.
Jack, however, had his finger against the trigger of his heavy flamer, ready to burn the first enemy that appeared. Too ready. The Horror's flailing knocks into Jack's gun arm. Finger bumped trigger, and
m7mage061.jpg
He sets both the Daemon and himself on fire. The Daemon horrifyingly defies death, becoming two Blue Horrors with new life.
m7mage062.jpg
But the blue daemons are no stronger against fire than the pink one. They burn. The Tactical Dreadnought armor doesn't.
m7mage063.jpg
The plan is to continue drawing them out into our waiting guns. It is yet too early to assault into the building.
m7mage064.jpg
A golden dot on the auspex. What is that?
m7mage065.jpg
Storyfag aims straight through the door
m7mage066.jpg
A Terminator and another daemon. That must be the golden dot.
m7mage067.jpg
The Terminator falls.
m7mage068.jpg
A Sorcerer! Quickly, brother, destroy him before he can cast his maleficarum on us.
m7mage069.jpg
Storyfag directs his reply at the psyker.
m7mage070.jpg
Storyfag's arguments seem to sway him.
m7mage071.jpg
Now, we can assault.
m7mage072.jpg
As for the remaining daemon...
m7mage073.jpg
Storyfag shoots it,
m7mage074.jpg
Splitting it again into two.
m7mage075.jpg
But they are ready this time, these Ultramarines. Smashing Axe rushes at the daemon to the left while Boris clicks his heavy bolter at the horror to the right.
m7mage076.jpg
They shall only know doom.
m7mage077.jpg
Janus scans the room, steering his head clockwise, then counter-clockwise. One last Traitor left, hiding in a corner.
m7mage080.jpg
The Marines walk towards the last enemy side-by-side abreast, like a wave in the distance, still slow but rumbling.
m7mage081.jpg
But this wave, while still far away...
m7mage082.jpg
Can kill you from far away...
m7mage083.jpg
m7mage084.jpg
And now to destroy that tainted portal into the warp. Do not stare, brothers - it stares back!
m7mage085.jpg
First, Slips must unjam his weapon.
m7mage086.jpg
Then, the gate can go down.
m7mage087.jpg
A special Power Axe!
m7mage088.jpg
One Marine, he rose above the rest...
m7mage089.jpg
He claimed vengeance for his former sergeant's gene-seed.
m7mage090.jpg
What does our Company face next...?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Played the 3 optional missions, they went fine, some good loot, good xp. I might play the next primary mission before writing up the interlude.

Edit; Actually on that note, who really cares about the interludes? And if you do, what do you want - general recaps, highlights, level ups, or some combination of the above?

Lemme know :)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Combination. :salute:

One of the key parts of circle-jerking LPs where codexers sign up is watching hilarious deaths, and skill improvements/levelups.

eklektyk

Erudite
highlights are fine if it means we will get more regular updates....we dont want this to be consumed by warp after all....

Dayyālu

Arcane
schame that kkkaos sorc got wasted so quickly....:salute:

Chaos Sorcerers are not THAT dangerous. They're frail ( standard Chaos Mehereen armour) and the AI is not that good in using the powers of the Warp. Maybe when they use Hellfire and have a lucky roll they can damage/kill a Brothaz, but not much. Never saw them using Vortex or Quickening, they seems to love the power where your Marine gets hit and pushed back. Damaging, but hardly letal.

Edit; Actually on that note, who really cares about the interludes? And if you do, what do you want - general recaps, highlights, level ups, or some combination of the above?

Combination. More hilarious Chaosies deaths can/must be highlighted, great Mehreen sacrifices remembered. And a thing...CG multiplayer works? Never got around testing it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
- INTERLUDE: THE EMPEROR ORDERS YOU TO DIE -
i8mage004.jpg
The goal with these missions is to give Squad IV some battle experience, and let the Terminators warm their joints.​
i8mage001.jpg
Our first stop is a swamp planet.​
But first, our new recruits:​
i8mage005.jpg
i8mage006.jpg
i8mage007.jpg
i8mage008.jpg
Word Bearers garrisoning some shoddy ruins. Should be easy.​
i8mage009.jpg
Both squads fan out, covering both flanks, with the heavy weapons covering the firing lanes towards the ruins.​
i8mage010.jpg
Codex Astartes tactics win the day.​
i8mage012.jpg
These will come in handy when the Traitors finally decide to bring armor.​
i8mage013.jpg
Janus joins the ranks of the 10th Company's Mighty Heroes.​
i8mage014.jpg
i8mage015.jpg
i8mage016.jpg
i8mage002.jpg
The second stop. I decide to bring the Assault Squad this time, and one familiar face fills in for Helly...​
i8mage017.jpg
I stand and fight.
i8mage018.jpg
The Commissar studies a counter-Psyker spell.​
i8mage019.jpg
We land and see no enemies, so we confer the auspex.​
i8mage020.jpg
There are indeed enemies to sate our chainswords.​
i8mage021.jpg
Assault Squad hops onto the upper platform, taking cover behind pillars and throwing smoke. They serve both as a distraction and as a threat.​
i8mage022.jpg
They also serve as our eyes in the opening of this battle, and we see a squad of Berzerkers with regular Chaos Marines lending fire support.​
i8mage023.jpg
Since we are in good positions, each brother stays on overwatch and lets the enemy come to their guns.​
i8mage024.jpg
A few Berzerkers try to rush the Assault Squad, and the Hellraisers stop them with holy fire. This is also fortuitous because the squad can simply jump away, leaving the Berzerkers out of range.​
yRNkPOp.jpg
i8mage025.jpg
A smoky view of the battle.​
i8mage026.jpg
And as I planned, Assault Squad jumps over to the regular Marines, taking out the Berzerkers' fire support with ease.​
i8mage027.jpg
We spy a Bloodletter, but​
i8mage028.jpg
Hellenius and the Commissar team up​
i8mage029.jpg
And banish to the Warp.​
i8mage003.jpg
A forest battle - how quaint.​
i8mage030.jpg
What an excellent drop off by our Thunderhawk pilot. As a reward, I gave him permission to read the Codex Astartes after curfew for the following week.​
i8mage031.jpg
The Devastators and Terminators with ranged weapons line the ridge. This is an unstoppable killing zone. But as a contingency, the melee Terminators along with the Assault Squad stay back to counter-assault. Assault Squad can also jump to distract a specific section of the enemy army.​
i8mage032.jpg
Which is what happens here. In the distance, Brother Awesome sees a renegade reading a heavy weapon. This he will not allow.​
i8mage033.jpg
i8mage034.jpg
Brother Slaughter comes to support. Always buddy team.​
i8mage035.jpg
Not that either of them really need much assistance.​
i8mage036.jpg
Gun-line is still intact, and it seems the enemy intends to rush head on.​
i8mage037.jpg
Not a great idea.​
i8mage038.jpg
Especially when their fire support is tied up.​
i8mage039.jpg
The Commissar tests out his new power.​
i8mage040.jpg
i8mage041.jpg
The Emperor orders you to die!
i8mage042.jpg
Brother-Sergeant Jack fills the valley with a searing moat with his heavy flamer.​
i8mage043.jpg
What a pyromaniac.​
i8mage044.jpg
Plasma cannon! Yes! Still haven't found a Lascannon though ...​
And many promotions, especially among Hellraiser's battle-brothers.​
i8mage045.jpg
i8mage046.jpg
i8mage047.jpg
i8mage048.jpg
i8mage049.jpg
Now, are we trained enough to fight the enemy in their own ship?​
We shall see...​

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm starting to get tired of micromanaging 15 (or 16) characters, though. 10 (2 squads of 5) was pretty nice and not tedious... On the other hand I don't just want to be limited to 2 squads. I guess this is why there are subleaders down to subleaders in the military and any well-formed organization.

I swear that I shall do whatever is in my power to uphold the traditions and glory of the Assault Marines.

Also, battlefield promotions, yes.

eklektyk

Erudite
I'm starting to get tired of micromanaging 15 (or 16) characters, though. 10 (2 squads of 5) was pretty nice and not tedious... On the other hand I don't just want to be limited to 2 squads. I guess this is why there are subleaders down to subleaders in the military and any well-formed organization.
u can always "let" some of them get into "an accidents" and have less of them to order around ....:troll:

Yeesh

Magister
Well that, and because if there's only one or two guys in charge the troops might take it into their heads to frag 'em and head back home to where there's girls and nobody shooting at them.
u can always "let" some of them get into "an accidents" and have less of them to order around ....:troll:
But there's so 100 damned space marines in a company... The Emperor might get suspicious if it gets reverse-decimated so easily.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
- BATTLE REPORT 8: TO FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE -

generic_marine.jpg
"Long range scanners online, Brother-Captain."

captain_kruger.jpg
: "They've abandoned their ship. Life signs show it but lightly guarded. Doubtless, there main force escaped through the gate, but that ship shall be ours. We shall board and seize it. It's secret shall be ours!"
m8mage001.jpg

This should not be too terrible, with the ship only lightly defended.

m8mage002.jpg

Eliminate all resistance,

Fail me not,

Fail not the Emperor.

m8mage006.jpg

"Techmarine MacGuyvius, reporting for duty."

m8mage007.jpg

I decide on using the Terminators for CQC while 2nd and 8th squads provide fire.

m8mage009.jpg

The Thunderhawk lands in their loading dock.

m8mage010.jpg

Not the best arrangement of deployment, with the Devastators in front, the Terminators stuck behind them.

m8mage011.jpg

Brother-Captain Root from 1st Company looks over the layout of the ship provided by scanners. The path to the data terminals is mined with choke-points and narrow hallways, allowing few defenders to weather a large assault.

m8mage012.jpg

m8mage013.jpg

m8mage014.jpg

But first to turn our attention to the bolters shelling the Thunderhawk.

m8mage015.jpg

Boris spits bolts with his heavy weapon at the nearest enemy, allowing everyone to pile out.

m8mage016.jpg

m8mage018.jpg

The Terminators rush the remaining defenders while the lighter-armored troops camouflage themselves in smoke.

m8mage017.jpg

Checking the auspex.

m8mage019.jpg

m8mage020.jpg

Clear for breach.

m8mage021.jpg

And the door reveals..

m8mage022.jpg

Three enemies behind measly cover.

m8mage023.jpg

"The Emperor orders you to die!"

m8mage024.jpg

The second team charges in.

m8mage025.jpg

One of the Traitor Marines behind the desk lobs a plasma grenade, but it misses.

m8mage026.jpg

"Feel the Imperium's wrath!"

m8mage027.jpg

Clear.

m8mage028.jpg

The next room is larger and, I suspect, more dangerous.

m8mage029.jpg

The squads are organized to rush through the right door, into cover behind the right pillar,

m8mage030.jpg

But Hellenius triggers the switch for the left door instead, exposing all of himself to the enemy right at the door. A Brother from behind throws a smoke grenade to grant him some cover.

m8mage031.jpg

Smoke, however, does not fare too well against flame.

m8mage032.jpg

Hellenius, though burned, manages a non-fatal retreat. Root storms through door, then, intending to fight fire with fire.

m8mage033.jpg

He underestimates the Word Bearer's trigger finger.

m8mage034.jpg

The fires chew at the circuits and servos in his Terminator armor, and one leg stumbles. Another jet of flame envelops him before he can dodge clear.

m8mage035.jpg

"Avenge me!"

m8mage036.jpg

The air is quiet, but then Storyfag's assault cannon answers the plea.

m8mage037.jpg

It guns down two enemies before whirring to a rest.

m8mage038.jpg

Here lies the mighty Root, Captain of 1st Company.

m8mage039.jpg

But now is not the time for grief. The other enemies in the room run into position to stop our breach into the room.

m8mage040.jpg

Beneath the smoke, we move like whispers.

m8mage041.jpg

And we outmaneuver the enemy into a stronger position.

m8mage042.jpg

In few seconds, only one Word Bearer remains standing.

m8mage044.jpg

This room is clear, so the squads angle towards the next.

m8mage045.jpg

A couple Tacticals watch the rear, because the two side-rooms along the southern wall remain locked.

m8mage046.jpg

A flick of a switch opens the main door, revealing nothing.

m8mage047.jpg

The side doors open, but we are well prepared.

m8mage048.jpg

m8mage049.jpg

"A gift from the Emperor!"

m8mage052.jpg

A frag grenade explodes behind the line of Tacticals, far enough away that the thrown debris only scratch their power armor.

m8mage053.jpg

The traitors try to assault instead.

m8mage054.jpg

Fools.

m8mage050.jpg

We turn our attention back north after clearing our rear. Far away, Storyfag sees a sole Word Bearer scrabble against the metal floor of the ship.

m8mage051.jpg

Not fast enough.

m8mage055.jpg

The auspex alerts us to the presence of Daemons on the ship.

m8mage056.jpg

Cultists are no obstacle

m8mage057.jpg

But the Ultramarines always do it by the book.

m8mage058.jpg

Especially after one loss...

m8mage059.jpg

The next room seems clear, save for a recent corpse.

m8mage060.jpg

Then something heavy slides above the Ultramarines.

m8mage061.jpg

Two Chaos Marines and a gaggle of Cultists.

m8mage062.jpg

This time, we hug the walls, avoiding their fire entirely.

m8mage063.jpg

m8mage064.jpg

The next room is eerily stocked with supply crates and cover.

m8mage065.jpg

Scanners show that the first Daemon-reinforced wave is immediate, though.

m8mage066.jpg

Guns to the rear, hammers and shields to the front.

m8mage067.jpg

Two Horrors.

m8mage068.jpg

Hellenius fires wild, blowing up the cover in front of him and two others!

m8mage069.jpg

But then the rest of the bolters add their throaty voices to the room, splitting the Horrors in twine.

m8mage070.jpg

One more daemon is found hidden around the corner, and Smashing Axe rushes it.

m8mage071.jpg

The Horror was ready, though, uncoiling and throwing itself against the Terminator. There is otherworldly strength behind the blow, and Smashing Axe gets knocked back.

m8mage072.jpg

The two other Terminators at the door intercept the daemon before it can pounce again.

m8mage073.jpg

Two more daemons round the corner, screeching for their kills.

m8mage074.jpg

The Terminators file back into the room, opening the hall for Garfunkel to rain plasma.

m8mage075.jpg

"Starfire shall devour your flesh whole!"

m8mage076.jpg

Two more daemons to go.

m8mage077.jpg

Packs of two posed little trouble, so one Horror is even smaller an insect.

m8mage078.jpg

Clear. The door switch glows at the end of the hallway.

m8mage079.jpg

"This... This! Librarian, what manner of daemon is This?!"

"A foul Lord of Change, Brother Garfunkel. The appearance of these daemons defies mortal comprehension. The Lord of Change is the wisest and most subtle of all the Great Daemons, a monster whose gaze penetrates into the very depth of the soul, exposing its victim's innermost hopes and fears!"

m8mage081.jpg

"Let the daemon hear the innermost hopes of my heavy bolter."

m8mage082.jpg

"The Emperor answers our prayers."

m8mage083.jpg

That seems to be the last of the more otherwordly opposition.

m8mage084.jpg

Someone painted a symbol to Chaos with his own blood beneath the door switch...

m8mage085.jpg

Well, let us decorate the next room, Brothers.

m8mage086.jpg

The Marines fire from around the pillars while lightning claw and thunder hammer prepare to assault.

m8mage087.jpg

One of the traitors reacts with a grenade, but he fumbles it in his panic.

m8mage088.jpg

A costly mistake.

m8mage089.jpg

A fatal mistake.

m8mage090.jpg

Clear. Let's get Brother MacGuyvius to the terminals.

m8mage091.jpg

Two packs of cultists teleport onto the upper platforms.

m8mage092.jpg

Piece of Terran cake.

m8mage093.jpg

m8mage094.jpg

Overboard finds another plasma cannon for the Company.

m8mage095.jpg

There - there is our target.

m8mage096.jpg

m8mage097.jpg

Podex Pistor, promoted.

m8mage098.jpg

Brother Boris, once again slaying many, many foes.

m8mage099.jpg

And now we can mourn our fallen brother.

"Hold a moment. We have received a message from the bridge!"
m8mage100.jpg

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An update! Woo! Now I just got to read it..

[EDIT]
Oh! Ohoho. How amusing, that root dies in this LP. He who has slain the hivemind time and again in his WH40K CYOAs. :troll:

lightbane

Arcane
Did you just randomly one-shot a Lord of change with a "puny" bolter? clearly it did not happen as expected, right Tzeench? :troll:

eklektyk

Erudite
well

it went so easy im a bit disapoint .....

ekhm what i meant : EMPEROR Protects!!!!!111

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom