Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is feudal

Mortmal

Arcane
http://lifeisfeudal.com/

Saw it on greenlight.
Sandbox , full looot pvp, full crafting and terraforming , usually those kind of projects promises too much then miserably fails , but who knows...

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminds me of a game that had a subscription thingy. Looks very similiar.

Severian Silk

Interesting. Graphics aren't that good, but in a deformable gameworld maybe that is unavoidable.

Mortmal

Arcane

Darkfall , or shadowbane , mortal online, thats the only similar things. None of them can handle massive battles i believe the same will happen here.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
is there any key giveaway or such? i like the game's idea, but 40 bucks for this at this moment seems excessive...

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Darkfall , or shadowbane , mortal online, thats the only similar things. None of them can handle massive battles i believe the same will happen here.
Darkfall can handle 1000 v 1000

Yeah game looks interesting, hooray for another chronically underfunded sandbox game, I can't fucking wait.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
so i bought this and it's taking forever on the "loading server" screen. Is that normal?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Ooook, so these are my impressions of this game.

It seems like it will have a somewhat grindy nature. Your skills go up with use, and to build stuff you need to gather materials and such, so it will definitely be one of those games where you spend hours gathering materials and grinding just to up your skills.

However, the end result is much different from farming materials on - for example - WOW. The end result is not some purple sword, the end result is that the environment around you changes, a bunch of grass turns to a bunch of buildings, a heavily forested wood is partially chopped down to make space for a paved road, a field becomes ready to be harvested and so on. I know these are not unique features, but the way they all blend together and the way the world is made “believable” is pretty unique, as far as my limited knowledge of this kind of games goes.

The combat system seems clunky for now, but I didn’t have a lot of chances to try it extensively. It’s sort of a Mount & Blade-esque combat, but clunkier. You swing, and if your weapon physically connects with your target, then it hits and deals damage, otherwise you miss. It takes a bit to get accustomed to, but when you do, it’s relatively intuitive. However, it sometimes (often) feels like you should have hit the guy, and you don’t. Server-client issues maybe or who knows.

But where this game really shines is in its crafting/trading compartment. The devs already said that the finished product will have a hard cap for skills, so you’ll have to choose your trade, and until now that has turned out to be a lot of fun. While I usually dislike grindy gameplay, in this case you know that the end result of your work will be an actual change in the game world, and it’s not THAT grindy anyway. Even flattening the ground for an hour becomes enjoyable once your shitty shack is set up and all the work rewarded.

Being able to grow crops, trees, breed animals, work metals, weave, etc, etc, becomes a mean to an end, and the fact that things are so much easier if players cooperate is a potentially good sign for a half-decent economy.

That’s why I like the idea of buying new characters rather than paying a subscription. If you want a lot of characters so you can be “independent” from other players, it’s going to cost you. I would actually make it so that your second character costs twice the first, and the third twice the second, etc.

It’s of course still an alpha and there’s a lot of technical glitches and stuff like that and I don’t care addressing it here because, you know, alpha. But the idea behind this is good and if well implemented and refined it could make for a p. fun game.

Yeah game looks interesting, hooray for another chronically underfunded sandbox game, I can't fucking wait.
they said that with all the early access they've already turned a profit

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
if something interests me, i MAKE time!
if this worked out, a codex guild would be p. awesome

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
what, you want to be able to get all your skills to 100?
bethesda fan detected

Just the good ones. :troll:

Naw but it'll all depend on the implementation; if they're being dicks about it, it could just be about profit (only a few skills per character => need more than one character to really get shit done => new characters cost money). Can you abandon skills, for example? It'd suck to invest deep in some skill that turns out to be worthless, and be unable to try something else.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'll wait for this to become codex guild worthy. If it does, instant purchase for me.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest buying it just yet (unless you don't mind half-finished piece of alpha shit EA titles in your catalogue, I sure do) - wait until a few content patches come out, you never know with these unknown dev teams.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest buying it just yet (unless you don't mind half-finished piece of alpha shit EA titles in your catalogue, I sure do) - wait until a few content patches come out, you never know with these unknown dev teams.
i never used steam in my life, and now i've installed it for PoE and LiF, imagine how worried i am about having half finished games in my catalogue

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom