Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Prequel)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Prequel made by other company in a time travel story.

This is how you dig plotholes into plotholes, you gonna have more plotholes than it is needed to be filled bu every penis thats exist too

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page, available for pre-order:

BTS_DeluxeBanner_ENG.jpg

Deluxe Edition contains:
  • The main game (Episodes 1-3)
  • Bonus Episode: ‘Farewell’ - play one last time as a young Max Caulfield in a special bonus episode...
  • Exclusive New Mixtape Mode – Design your own playlist from the Life is Strange licensed soundtrack and listen to it alongside a cinematic scene from the game.
  • Exclusive outfit pack - Change up Chloe's look with three new complete outfits. Includes Punk Doe, Hawt Dawg Man & Illuminati outfits.
The bonus episode ‘Farewell’ will release after Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 3

Venser

Erudite
So turns out Ashly isn't voicing Chloe due to voice actor strike. They gave the game to other studio and decided the lead actress is replaceable? Why the fuck is this even made? Obvious cash grab.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Until the end that is, the ending is almost How I Met Your Mother-bad.

Its even hard to fuck up how they did because I could get how Max altering the future was fucking up everything and how the solution would be go back and not change the future but for whatever reason they had to pull that Choe was destined to die so they get the fucking worst assassin ever (a storm because you know, its not like you cannot survive them or outrun them or ... WChoARGHHHHHHHH) that because choices matter you can have Max just nope and it kinda just goes "OK i guess" ... WTF??????? WHO WROTE THIS???? WHY!!!!

At least How I Met Your Mother was just the writers having a very serious case of butthurt over how their intended pairing didnt work and they ended up going with another that worked, kinda like a big fuck you but this one? It was there and instead they go with Choe must die oh and Max apparently can change the future because going with the ending scenes she tipped to the Police who the murder was so ... are you serious about Choe dying was so important-but-not-really since what was the fucking point?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What... is this?
I mean I was was left a little disappointed by the first game, totally not because I was expecting girl on girl action because.. blue hair and.. french.. but at least it had this reverse time gimmick that was fun for a short while.

So now the sequel-prequel by a different studio is just a standard emo angsty teenager adventure with no timestop, no blue hair and a different voice actress?

Imagine how an honest E3 presentation for this whould have looked like:

• "Gaiz! Think of all the memorable part from the first game!" [INTENSE CHEERING]
  • "Remember the time stop ability? That was cool right?" [INTENSE CHEERING]
  • "Remember the blue haired grrl with the moderately popular voice actress?" [INTENSE CHEERING]
  • "Remember the heroine we named Max, so you could pretend her to be a boy and not become gay?" [INTENSE CHEERING]
"This game has none of it, which makes it a totally unique and speshul thing on its own and you will love it!" [still cheering, because E3 crowd]

I would call it a decline, but I fear that would somewhat devalue the word. Blatant attempt to get some extra cash from the sheeple before the real sequel is ready. Bad game. Sad!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.destructoid.com/life-is...ewinding-and-that-s-for-the-best-442563.phtml

Life is Strange: Before the Storm ditches the time rewinding and that's for the best

Walking a mile in Chloe's shoes

It wasn't until 20 minutes into my half-hour Life is Strange: Before the Storm presentation that we were told this game doesn't have the rewind mechanic that was a staple of the original. Honestly, it wasn't even on my mind. It always felt like the weakest part of Life is Strange because developer Dontnod built a world where you wanted to be accountable.

The supernatural is gone this time and so is the emphasis on fixing things. Playing as brown-haired Chloe Price, Before the Storm is more about fucking things up. Max's story was about rewinding time to arrive at an optimal solution. Max, in theory at least, left her footprint by trying to make everything better. Chloe, a burgeoning hellion, is just out to get hers.

A good example came in the hands-off demo we were shown. At a divey rock club on the edge of town, Chloe wanted a band t-shirt. The vendor, who was selling them out of the trunk of his car, wanted 20 bucks. Instead of forking over the cash, Chloe quietly released his parking break so that the car rolled out of the club. While he was distracted, she took a shirt and his $200 from sales. Then she paid a debt to a drug dealer (Frank from Life is Strange) and got a dimebag to boot.

Another indicator of the shift in tone comes in the optional events. Max was a photographer, always snapping pictures of things that gave her inspiration. Chloe, on the other hand, tags items with spray paint. She makes her own inspiration through petty vandalism. We saw her deface a saw blade with the words "Sit and spin."

Before the Storm will revolve mostly around Chloe's "origin story," and a big chunk of that has to do with Rachel Amber. The girl-gone-missing from the original plays a leading role here, as we see how her friendship and maybemore-ship impacts Chloe during such formative years. Make no mistake about it: Chloe is still the star.

As for the setting, this takes place three years prior to the events of Max's story. Chloe's still dealing with the death of her father from two years ago, and, as the presenter points out, "she's burning bridges both at home and school." She's figuring herself out just as Max was doing in Life is Strange. Something tells me it'll feel a bit more impactful when important life moments can't just be retconned on the fly.

Dontnod did a fantastic job with Life is Strange, but Before the Storm isn't in the French developer's hands. Instead, Colorado-based Deck Nine is at the helm for this. It's interesting because I talked to the Life is Strange writers at E3 two years ago and they mentioned that their idea for a follow-up game might be in Arcadia Bay but with completely new characters. It's unclear if Before the Storm has the nod from Dontnod.

Another thing to note is that Chloe's prequel won't be as drawn out as the original game. This is set across three episodes, each two to three hours long. The premiere episode releases on August 31. That's when we'll see if this captures the same essence as Max's story. At first glance, it may be by a different studio and it may have a different tone, but it's still very Life is Strange.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Life is Strange was a story about an edgy blue-haired jerk who grew beyond her angsty persona and learned the meaning of true friendship and sacrifice. We can argue about whether it was done well, but at least that's a theme worth exploring. By comparison, a prequel story about a normal kid who becomes an edgy blue-haired jerk is discouraging and devoid of meaning. We already know how Chloe is going to end up, so any decision-making throughout the game loses all consequential impact.

Also, even that little preview showcases the writers' cultural cluelessness. "Sit and spin" is not a reference that a 16 year old would make in 2010, much less comprehend.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Why the fuck is this even made? Obvious cash grab.

Just speculation but maybe they know it in their hearts that Vampyr is going to bomb and they needed to make some bucks.

Different publisher, different developer.

I suppose they make this because there's a demand for playing disoriented emo grrlls on this gay Earth.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No time reversing??

LOL that's retardet. The only remotely interesting mechanic the game had is gone.

That would be like making a sequel to Mass Effect only making it less of an RPG.

Oh... Wait.. They did that and the DumbfuckDex thought it was better than the original. By that logic this will be great :positive:

Malpercio

Arcane
Eh, I'm not super into it, but I'm willing to bet solid money it will still be better than most Telltale stuff.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eh, I'm not super into it, but I'm willing to bet solid money it will still be better than most Telltale stuff.

Life is Strange was better than anything Telltale produced. As far as interactive movies go, it sets the bar as high as can be.

If you do not like interactive movies, of course, then you won't like it.

Modron

Arcane
Life is Strange was better than anything Telltale produced. As far as interactive movies go, it sets the bar as high as can be.

Eh I would probably agree that it is better than telltale games, there were lot of different permutations on what could happen to characters and the world building/sound direction were pretty good but as far as that bar can be set I would say the tarded ending really dropped the ball as either of its' outcomes rendered all choices meaningless.

That said I liked the Wolf Among Us a lot more and it actually had a lot of choice and consequences in regards to the fates of others and some exclusive routes depending on choices made in the game. Granted now that they have announced another season of TWAU it will basically amount to the same thing where choices were rendered meaningless.

Also this game is a total cash in and it's being developed by a different studio and yet you expect to it not to be a flaming pile of shit?

vonAchdorf

Arcane

If you do not like interactive movies, of course, then you won't like it.

It has a certain quality, because I liked it even though it has lots of, sometimes quite annoying, flaws.

But Before the Storm reeks of

:slamdunk:

A different studio tasked to cash in during the development the sequel. You even have to pay more if you want to play as Max.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom