Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOTR MMO

It is beautiful but really what's the point when the gameplay is restricted by MMO design without the difficulty that normally forces you to group?

I think the market needs a LOTR immersive hiking simulator. Just walk around and explore middle earth in 2016 rendering technology. But that's beyond the scope of a MMO who will always have immersion breaking enemy spawning, skills, zone design and quests.

How can you roleplay when you have 0 freedom to do so? If it's about the immersive atmosphere then I think that only makes my point stronger.

Aothan

Magister
I'm not sure what you mean by design limitations, what limits are in place ?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How can you roleplay when you have 0 freedom to do so? If it's about the immersive atmosphere then I think that only makes my point stronger.

How are you have 0 freedom to RP? You cant join Sauron true but you can Role play any archetype from ME from Gondorian Captain to Halthing Buglar... and there is monster play when you can RP as Orc but I did not tried that.

Well you talk to a quest giver with appropriate yellow market above his head, forced to do exactly what he tells you to do which involves getting some herb or killing a certain number of enemies. Enemies are just sitting there waiting for you to murder them one by one then respawn a minute later. Half of them are not exactly lore friendly either and let's not talk about the spells. There's really no room for suspension of disbelief and the only lotr thing about this game are the names and graphics.

Even if you roleplay with other friends there's all that getting in the way. But that never prevented thousands for roleplaying in MMOs so to each their own I guess.

Aothan

Magister
unless decisions are forced in such a way to conflict with a type of character then the setting and accessible quests are there to facilitate different possibilities, from my limited time playing most of the creatures were monsters or cultists. Game design in mmos could improve but LoTR seems to have a fair balance of setting and playability. What I really like is the extensive range of choices for developing one's character. Even saying this I will probably transition from Path of Exile in a while and this is one of the more obvious choices for where to start

*snip*

I love PvP servers, they have a very different climate. I wasn't good at EQ PvP at all, but the social changes PvP had on Rallos Zek allowed it to never be boring. From the typically asshole PKs to the high number of antis that actually sought PvP in an anti way and kept the server form degenerating into a griefing hellhole like Sullon (and every emu server since) turned into.
Speak for yourself. I played on Sullon and liked it.

One thing we all have to learn is there're lots of players out there with different tastes. Some types of MMO's will have only a small audience. That doesn't mean they're not viable. It just means you have to account for their unpopularity.

LOTR looks interesting. Reminds me slightly of DDO. I don't only play PvP open world. I also like soloing because I can play and be afk when -I- want. So I definitely understand why someone would like it. However I usually stay away from MMORPGs I estimate to be too friendly. If they strand me in the wilderness as a new player with maybe some spare junk in my backpack and a couple words of advice and opportunity beyond, that's appealing to me. Generally I prefer character development to be sandboxxy. My guessestimate is LOTR is like most MMORPGs, meaning it goes out of its way to make you safe and frustration free. For that reason, I probably wouldn't like it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom