Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Enlist in the Royal Dragoons! Codex plays Sabres of Infinity

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dat's ableist.:rpgcodex:

The debate rages for nearly an hour, the light of the setting sun casting red highlights on the animated faces of the gathered officers. Only you, Elson and Cazarosta remain silent as partisans begin to take sides.

Soon, it becomes clear to all that any agreement is far beyond any conceivable horizon. Elson clears his throat loudly, the darkening interior of the desecrated shrine falls silent.

"My dear fellows, I am afraid we shall be here all night, if we are to continue to discuss this matter thus. Perhaps it would be best if we were to adjourn for a while, to see our men fed and our watches set for the evening, before we come back to this matter?"

The Captain's insignia on his tunic gives Elson's courtly suggestion the weight of a command. The assembled junior officers quickly agree to an extended recess. It is only then that you realize just how hungry you are, having not eaten since the beginning of the day's ride. With as much dignity as you can muster, you hurry yourself out of the meeting to order supper.

-

Supper turns out to be salt pork, hard tack and a thin potato soup: hard fare for someone used to years of soft garrison duty in Noringia. However, hunger makes even this meagre meal seem worth eating, and quickly.

As you retrieve your filled mess tins from the Squadron steward, you take in the sight of dozens of campfires lighting up the shadowy hollow of the clearing: While the enlisted men seem to be huddled around cook fires not far from their pitched tents, the other officers appear to have congregated in a makeshift officer's mess, in the shadow of the ruined temple. From here, you can see Cazarosta and Elson sitting on opposite ends of the temple courtyard, each eating in silence.

It is then you decide to:

1) Eat with Captain Elson.
2) Eat with Cazarosta.
3) I eat with my men.

As of the Summer of the 607th year of the Old Imperial Era

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 550
Income: 10

Soldiering: 74%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 76% Cynicism: 24%

Ruthlessness: 31% Mercy: 69%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Sixth Troop, Third Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff- Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 30%

Morale: 25%

Loyalty: 25%

You sit down next to the enlisted men of your troop and listen; their conversations come and go as you eat in silence. No officer, no matter how popular, would be expected to join in the rough words of the enlisted men at mealtime. But your men notice you sitting there, listening as they vent their frustrations and empty their hopes and fears into the firelit air.

One or two of them give you a slight grin or a knowing look. Your attempt to sit in solidarity with the men under your command has not been ignored.

-

Unfortunately, the break in the discussion does not seem to have changed anybody's mind. Neither Elson nor Cazarosta have seen fit to concede the point to the other. The debate renews as the more junior officers of the squadron squabble over the fine merits and deficiencies of one plan or the other. Both the Captain and the other lieutenant remain silent, staring at each other with sullen eyes lit hot yellow by the reflected light of the flickering lamps.

Then they both turn to you once again. With the night well in progress, it is clear that they expect you to act as a definitive arbiter between the two of them.

1) Elson's plan is better.
2) Cazarosta's plan is better.
3) I'll stay out of it.

Alaric d'al Ortiga

Morale: 27%

Loyalty: 30%

You try to word it as tactfully as you can. Elson is obviously far from euphoric that you have thrown in against him.

Thankfully, the other, more junior officers follow your lead. The Captain has been backed into a corner.

Your commanding officer could of course, simply order his subordinates to carry out an unpopular course of action, but Grenadier Square tends to look rather poorly upon officers who ignore the opinions of their subordinates entirely: A fact which Elson has clearly become familiar with over the past years. Your squadron commander gives up his lost cause, but not before sending a sad, slow shake of his head your way.

With the meeting concluded, there is little left to do but to return to your men. It is the work of a mere half hour to review the sentry posts assigned to your section of the camp. This done, you inform the men of the plan. The men seem to accept it well enough, but your staff sergeant looks ill-at-ease. He approaches you afterwards, his voice low and taut.

"Sir, I-I've heard that the plan w-we are to follow's been b-brought out by the d-deathborn. I d-don't think the men would benefit f-from knowing this intelligence. Most sensible m-men are not like to trust a m-man born of such a v-violation of the-natural order."

What do you think of that?

1) I trust Cazarosta's ability to formulate a workable battle plan.
2) Perhaps my sergeant is right. I should keep an eye on Cazarosta.

Alaric d'al Ortiga

Morale: 27%

Loyalty: 30%

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom