Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Mad Games Tycoon

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This game out of Early Access yesterday and naturally I decided to test it out because I love tycoon games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/341000/

Man this game is soul-crushing. As a tycoon game it's great, but in the context of the gaming industry it's just awful. It's basically a Decline simulator. You either make high-budget AAA games with the latest tech and shiniest graphics, or you make low-budget niche games and watch as your games get awful reviews and you lose money.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Much better than Game Dev Tycoon. It has a lot more depth. You have to build your own offices, place your furniture, train your employees etc. You have marketing offices, QA offices, research offices, console development, sound, mo-cap and graphic studios, server rooms for your online games. You can even manufacture and produce your videogames yourself instead of going through a publisher. Included in manufacturing your own game disks is the ability to re-release old games as budget titles.

The nice thing is you can have multiple development offices, each working on different products. As an example, I developed an MMO that's generating a nice profit at the moment. My main development office has moved on to creating retail games while a smaller office works on patches and expansions for the MMO.

ortucis

Prophet
Is this better or worse than Game Dev Tycoon which already sucked way too much of my time ?

As someone who has tried every single Game Development tycoon game on Steam, this is worse than Game Dev Tycoon. These people played GDT and though how can we make it more complicated and NOT fun? Let's add a lot of shit that doesn't make sense, along with random review scores. GDT was fun because it didn't felt like a chore, kept things simple, didn't had a shit UI and knew when to introduce new elements.

This game is like YouTuber's Life. You play it for an hour and it starts feeling like a chore. Go get Prison Architect instead.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Like I said, shit game.

I changed offices three times only, last one was medium sized. Manufacturing consoles, MMO's, buying out everyone, there is no one left to compete against. Every game I create makes profit. This game didn't even last 3 full days. I am the top developer, manufacturer, publisher, probably even reviewer according to this game. Whole world only plays what I want them to play or play on.

Prison Architect is better, buy that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom