Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mass Effect 3 Review Bombardment

Black

Arcane
...after the end credits, I felt used, mentally raped by BioWare
I understood all those players who just rode the game on Metacritic and ceased to understand reviewers who were giving the highest marks

I wonder if that's how RK feels when he's LPing it. Or maybe if that's how he will feel.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Just finished my first (and probably only) playthrough, on Hardcore difficulty. It's actually pretty good entertainment if you play it as an Action Adventure game and forget it's trying to be an RPG. :lol:

I was positive surprised by some of the quests and writing, and I loved that stuff changes depending on what you do or did in the earlier games. To give an example: in order to get the Salarians support the war effort, I had to sabotage the curing of the Genophage without the Krogans knowing. To do so I had to shoot Mordin in the back but thought it was worth it because I got both the Salarians and Krogans. Wrex found out my deception later in the game and I had to shoot him too and it was certainly something I didn't see coming. You also get to kill Anderson, Udina, the Illusive Man etc. and make other choices (such as give the Geth a free mind) although I'd have to play again to see if they have any real effect. Unfortunately there's also a ton of fedex quests where you just run around delivering items you found while scanning planets. If I had known the "war score" is useless I wouldn't have wasted my time doing those. :roll:

Combat is pretty good too although it gets a bit tedious in the end because there's much less variety in the enemies than in ME2. You'll be fighting either Cerberus troops or Reaper troops the whole time.

3/5

It's better than the previous ME's in the consequence department but it still sucks. Actually, not much changes when you import a save from an earlier game. Mordin for example just gets replaced with his less likable clone.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It was bad enough when only gaming sites were reviewing games. Now every retard is offering his opinion:

http://www.theeasttexan.com/mobile/space-opera-rpg-provides-landmark-in-storytelling-1.2811763

The East Texan (not to be confused with The West Texan - these people have no taste in games whatsoever) says:

"Every so often in your life, you come across impactful moments that hold so much sentimental value for you that you wish that you spend the next few days experiencing it again for the first time. For nearly five years, I have anticipated just how the "Mass Effect" trilogy would play out. My expectations were high, but the experience that I have ultimately received has far surpassed anything that I could have possibly imagined.

The story deals greatly with themes of war both on and off of the battlefield. When the combat and main story isn't employing battle tactics, all of the settings that were once bright and peaceful in previous games are constantly dealing with the fallout of the threat that they face. Background characters comfort their loved ones as they must break the news of their deployment to the front lines, seek solace in one another to forget that they escaped the decimation of their homes, even try to come to terms with the fact that they are now homeless refugees. All of these take place in background conversations that are completely disconnected from main or side quests and create a thick and bleak atmosphere that quite honestly had me choked up at points.

The main story itself packs just as much of a punch and may be one of the few perfect endings to any trilogy of stories. Standing alone, it is fantastic, but knowing that almost five years of gameplay have culminated in this provides a feeling of indescribable awe, especially if you have been porting over your saves from the previous installments. All of these elements would otherwise however, be squandered if the game play itself wasn't up to snuff.

To simply say whether or not "Mass Effect 3" is great would be an underselling its accomplishments. On its own merit, the game is wonderfully written, phenomenally crafted, and arguably one of the greatest war stories ever told regardless of medium. However, its resolution of the "Mass Effect" series in general is a landmark in storytelling that needs to be experienced to be believed. I am immensely happy and satisfied to see such hard work amount to such an unforgettable experience, but I am also saddened by the fact that I will never relive the shock of the first time I ever inserted the disk into my console."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

hiver

I fucking really wish at least this fucking forum would fucking stop spreading the fucking hype about fucking bioware already.
We have google you know?
If any want to be fucking bombarded by shit about bioware and fucking ass effect they can do it to themselves.

Isnt one or two thread posts about it more than enough?
Isnt there a tonne of more interesting games out there, especially with the raise of the whole indie scene?

fucking seriously...

hiver

Isnt there a tonne of more interesting games out there... ?

Is there? I mean recent ones, as this is the news forum?
Well, maybe not tonnes but there certainly is. But how would you know?

I heard TW2 gets a free patch soon. Hope that helps.
Nope. I get that its dry in the valley of rpgs but ass effect aint an rpg anyway, or if it even falls into the category than its a shitty hybrid at best where whatever might keep it in the category is minimal.
At this point it would make more sense to spread some news about any good game, not just rpgs, which this crap almost isnt anyway.

kris

Arcane
No character special missions so it saves EA a lot of money but less stuff for you to do

"Thousands are dying on earth, but please do this mission on a remote planet about helping my son find his teddybear before you save it."

I reckon that anything but gathering support would be really stupid if looking at the bigger picture. Even if the bigger picture is that you can stand around for weeks without it affecting the outcome of the war.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Pot meets kettle. "

Wow. Even VD took the burn better you. Are you his fukkin' lover? VD don't need protection from me espicially over a silly one liner. FFS

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sessler disappoints me after his decent Dragon Age 2 review. I think the pretty lights distracted him.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sessler has always been a piece of shit no matter what his actual opinion is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom