Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 3 - Discuss!

Master

Arbiter
the bodies don't lift up into the air.

Thats the problem. MP was always about bodies

in slow motion.

First game had it, then they added Havoc in 2. All they needed now was to make bodies collide instead of passing through eachother and its done.

Reaction to bullets are cool but its not what a Max Payne game is about. I dont want to wach some guy choke to death in slow motion. But being midair is somehow made for it. Its like in the Matrix whenever theres bullet time someone is in the air doing somethign cool.

Master

Arbiter
Some screens of the mod with appropriate music

4W1Dp37.jpg

2qtcBxi.jpg

WOLC01S.jpg

Ly5R30w.jpg

D8N3st0.jpg

9n14R4u.jpg

tT4TB4T.jpg

QL4HNva.jpg

a4ijFm2.jpg

FioevIz.png

Ezekiel

Arcane
I normally don't care about this sort of thing, but I got my last achievement today. I never intended to get this far or thought I would, partly because NYMH seemed way too hard before I actually seriously tried it this year and partly because I didn't like the seemingly dead multiplayer before 2017. I boosted the last few multiplayer ones, because they were way too situational. As usual, the sense of satisfaction was pretty brief, as I quickly remembered how insignificant it is. It's one of few games that I've done this with. Only took four years.

UPDATE, Oct. 29: This is where I get negative.

I noticed I have a far higher kill-death ratio in MGSV/MGO3, which shows how unbalanced this game is. I refuse to play with auto-aim and the cheap loadouts everyone else uses. And I'm so sick of this tiny community only playing Team Deathmatch. Because of Rockstar's decisions, the community was never gonna thrive. Unbalanced guns, auto-aim (in a pure shooter, FFS) and bad matchmaking.

Also, a bad kick system. I’ve been kicked so many times for playing well. Someone calls me a hacker or accuses me of using auto-aim in a Free Aim match and a minute later I’m out. At the same time, I see people obviously cheating (infinite health) and no one does anything.

You can probably find players right now if you search in Soft-Lock Large TDM repeatedly, but they're not gonna be fun to play with. I'm waiting for the next sale, when new players will join.

Last edited:

Plisken

Learned
played through it for a 3rd time recently.

It's a likable game, with rockstar's usual superb attention to detail. It plays well, but there's just not enough gameplay to go around. It seems odd to me that people gave MGS4 so much shit while MP3 seems to get a free pass on the exact same thing - you're enjoying playing and then you get raped by cutscenes, at a pace and junction that is incredibly jarring.

One thing I appreciate that diehard MP2 fans probably don't is that MP3 can be played as a kind of lite tac shooter. I did this my first playthrough and only ended up using bullet-time when you are forced to. It's a little more grounded in reality than the previous games, it's pretty clear the game's major inspiration is films like man on fire.

Ezekiel

Arcane
After someone posted the Wolfenstein II review by Gggmanlives in the Wolfenstein II thread, I checked out some of his other videos. His Max Payne 3 video is the best review I've seen for the game. Finally a big/popular reviewer who doesn't stay in cover and understands doing that makes you a sitting duck. He goes more into the nuances of the combat and the feel of it than most people have. His main problem with it is the frequent, unskippable cutscenes.

After someone posted the Wolfenstein II review by Gggmanlives in the Wolfenstein II thread, I checked out some of his other videos. His Max Payne 3 video is the best review I've seen for the game. Finally a big/popular reviewer who doesn't stay in cover and understands doing that makes you a sitting duck. He goes more into the nuances of the combat and the feel of it than most people have. His main problem with it is the frequent, unskippable cutscenes.

So in a way, cover is punishment for not using the mechanics carefully? Interesting.
The style of the game is turning me away from it thou.

Ezekiel

Arcane
So in a way, cover is punishment for not using the mechanics carefully?
I'm not sure if that was the intent, but that's how it is. The game is easier when you don't use so much cover. I find it lame that Max presses against cover at the end of every other cutscene.

I need to bitch about the multiplayer some more. This is disgusting:

qYHgY6j.png

I aim towards the chest and head. Everybody (almost everybody) else aims towards my center of mass because they're using fucking auto-aim. It's so cheap. Putting this option in a pure shooter was moronic.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mod out the favela sections.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom