Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Me want SPazmo and Saint back

Who is better?

• Saint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vault Dweller

• Connie Chung

• Total voters

SlyDrak

Scholar
--

SlyDrak said:
we need to start banning the retards that plague the forum.

Or we could make a rules thread for begginers on what not to post, give them one warning, then get banned. It's all up to the administrators of course. Nobody except to inmates notified on how retarded my thread was, I should have known, I was stupid, and I have to accept that. I don't know why I turn into a savge beast when it comes women, but I do know that this is not the place to post such nonsense. That said, I do think some kind of administrator should have contacted me in some way. I don't know whats going on here these days, but I know it's not popular with the old-school Codexers. Leadership people, we need it.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I don't know about that. Rules for posting have been discussed before, and they're pretty unpopular. Once, a few years back, we even considered a word count minimum, just the keep up the quality control. I've grown to like the relatively lax admins we have at the Codex, but I've been here in the days when we didn't even have a retardo land, so maybe my perception of the Codex is a little skewed. It seems like this place has become too big and well-known for that old anarchic paradise of RPG discussions to continue, and I've accepted that. Still, I'd hate for this place to turn into the RPG version of the Gestapo wankfest that is Television Without Pity.

Well, that's it then. Anyway, I am going back to lurking these forums for a while. I have some "toughing up" to do in my real life (thanks Voss and Darksign :wink: ). Good luck everyone. Note my sig.

Jed

Cipher
Greenskin13 said:
I don't know about that. Rules for posting have been discussed before, and they're pretty unpopular. Once, a few years back, we even considered a word count minimum, just the keep up the quality control. I've grown to like the relatively lax admins we have at the Codex, but I've been here in the days when we didn't even have a retardo land, so maybe my perception of the Codex is a little skewed. It seems like this place has become too big and well-known for that old anarchic paradise of RPG discussions to continue, and I've accepted that. Still, I'd hate for this place to turn into the RPG version of the Gestapo wankfest that is Television Without Pity.
...and that's pretty much the unfortunate truth of it...

Gambler

Augur
Forum rules are a way for admins to justify abuse of their privileges. Nobody in the right mind reads them, except for amusement. My favorite rule is "You do not complain about forum rules, or you get banned!".

Bans are stupid. Just like labels. Just like locking threads and making the last post "look at me, I am locking this thread :), this is me, me, me, with my uber moderation powers :D, I win ;)".

I know only one good moderation strategy.
1) You delete dumb stuff. Without the drama, power showoffs, or fingerprinting.
2) If only part of the message is bad, you delete that part and leave the rest of the message intact.
3) All thread locks are temporary (3-4 days).
5) Post counts do not show.

It should be about making forums usable, rather than playing virtual judge dread.

Araanor

Liturgist
In the old days there was more of a hope for good RPGs in the near future. That's what's missing. It feels like computer games - RPGs in particular - have gone more mindless and derivative by every year that's passed.

Saint would have shown more interest if there was more to be interested in.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Codex was definitely a better place when Saint and Spazmo were around. Both have great personalities and styles, and I really miss them. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the genre being pretty much dead at the moment. I mean, you can discuss old games and some design elements only so many times before it becomes unbearably boring and meaningless.

As for "let's make new rules and ban a lot of people quickly" stuff, I'd like to remind those who truly miss the good ol' days that we had a "no ban" policy in those days and it was the members - not Saint, Spazmo, or me - who made the site the way it was.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
The Codex was definitely a better place when Saint and Spazmo were around. Both have great personalities and styles, and I really miss them.

I think those could be described as golden days, but you're not doing a bad job Vault. But the lack of more proeminent personalities here just gives the feeling of there being a void. It was livelier with the three of you around (I should say four, since DarkUnderlord is a pretty cool guy as well though he hasn't been as outspoken), but this doesn't mean it's bad now - just different.

Then again anything beats having Rex on the staff.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Role-Player said:
Vault Dweller said:
The Codex was definitely a better place when Saint and Spazmo were around. Both have great personalities and styles, and I really miss them.

I think those could be described as golden days, but you're not doing a bad job Vault. But the lack of more proeminent personalities here just gives the feeling of there being a void. It was livelier with the three of you around (I should say four, since DarkUnderlord is a pretty cool guy as well though he hasn't been as outspoken), but this doesn't mean it's bad now - just different.

Then again anything beats having Rex on the staff.

At least with Rex on the team we had something to fight for. It gave the patriots work to do but now that there isn't any evil dictators we are homeless bums on the street.

Calis

Pensionado
Agreed, we need a new Rex. Candidates? For some reason, Bryce springs to mind, though I'm having trouble defining exactly why. Might be the name-change thing.

Briosafreak

Augur
Yeah I vote Volourn too! I heard he/she/it just turned 30, always a good age to become the new Rex.

I like Rex, by the way, he's a nice guy to talk to at messenger, and this place needs some FRICTION!!!!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What we really need is... anticipation... As was stated earlier, RPG-discussions flourished when there were things to be discussed... but right now? There's nothing at the horizon the catch interest; there's no light at the end of this dark tunnel of RPG decline. Maybe things will change for the better when AoD is released and we can bitch about it. Because that's what the Codex does best: bitching, in a humorous and usually, for the target, enlightening manner.

But still, I don't think the Codex is in a decline. Sure, there are the waves of ESFites... there is the occasional furry faggotry; guilty as charged. There are mostly pointless threads...

...and yet...

...as long as RPGs continue to suck donkey balls...
...as long as Todd Howard spreads his vile demonseed...
...as long as junk is being produced...

...we'll exist; ready to thrash whatever hellspawn the industry throws at us; eagerly slaying whatever vile demon rises up from the cesspits of Bethesda. United we stand against the torrent of RPG-travesty. We are here, to treasure the memory of better days and to teach all those who dare to enter this venerable place how to make real RPGs.

Texas Red

Whiner
The Witcher? No, the Codex needs information on Fallout 3. Then there will be countless threads filled with complaining, ranting and even more! Every screenshot, every interview and a praising preview *will* have its own topic.

The moral of this post? The Codex does not need any RPGs but, ironically enough, a console wannabee RPG. Perhaps Mass Effect will serve.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Agree with dumbfunk. The more shitty RPGs will be released, the Codex will be stronger. Worsest games=better Codex.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No, we need good games once in a while, too. Saying "games were better in the times of yore" is becoming less and less fun the longer "yore" stays at 1997.
I always thought The Witcher would have at least a similar lever of RPGishnessity as Gothic 2. And I still believe it's going to be a kick ass game. If it's not, I guess I'll do a flip-flop, or become "The Switcher" :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom