Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Megathread whining: Released/Announced

what Jaesun did

AuCzgnw.gif

Telengard

Arcane
But would it survive....

Before this thread, sure. But now, after all the uproar found here, could the Administration truly resist the temptation of the obviously huge amount of butthurt they would cause by merging every Stick of Truth thread.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It didn't take long before the thread I made for the release of Tropico 5 was merged into the announcement thread. :decline:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tropico-5-released.85627/page-4

That may not be anywhere near the longest announcement thread on the 'dex, but it is still nice to have a clear break between pre-release speculation and post-release facts.
Despite the vehement denials of the management it seems like the "one thread only per game" is in full effect.
What is your defense this time, Infinitron?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Talk to one of the Strategy Gaming forum moderators?

(Personally, I would keep it merged because the original thread was really small, not a GRPG hundreds of pages behemoth. How clear a break do you need? But, it's not my decision.)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Talk to one of the Strategy Gaming forum moderators?

(Personally, I would keep it merged because the original thread was really small, not a GRPG hundreds of pages behemoth. How clear a break do you need? But, it's not my decision.)

WhiskeyWolf, JarlFrank why so eager to merge?
Ideally, I think that someone looking for impressions about a new game should be able to click on the thread and not have to guess at what page the speculation stops and the facts begin. So even the shortest pre-release thread should be abandoned and let slip off the first page of the forum.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So even the shortest pre-release thread should be abandoned and let slip off the first page of the forum.

Problem is a lot of posters DON'T let it slip and keep on posting in it.

My strategy is to let people keep posting in the original thread until a decent number of post-release pages have accumulated. THEN, you split it off. Presto, the original thread drops off the first page immediately, and people keep on posting in the new one. This is what I've done with several of the high profile RPG threads.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
So ME4 was announced today. They had a video, talked a bit about wanting vehicle customization and more open-world exploration. There was a thread for those curious. It existed for about 2 hours until it was merged into the generic bioware megathread by the usual suspects.

So to answer infinitrons post on the last page:

If I start a thread "Post-release impressions of South Park", do you think it would survive?

Yes, it would. For fuck's sake, people, get over what Jaesun did two years ago.

Nope. Megathreads are still all the rage it seems.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We were already discussing ME4 (such as seeing the new screen shots) as well as knowing the Mako is back etc etc.....

We needed 2 threads to discuss the same thing?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
We don't need everything in one bigass megathread. I recall DU being abundantly clear about that when I was moderating. I can't imagine that's changed now.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
We were already discussing ME4 (such as seeing the new screen shots) as well as knowing the Mako is back etc etc.....

We needed 2 threads to discuss the same thing?

ME4 isn't going to need it's own thread? Your OCD won't allow you to see that far into the future?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In the interest of SCIENCE! And because I have been here for 10 years, I'm going to show you something.....

Repressed Homosexual
Jaesun again doing various moderating actions to threads about games he doesn't like or finds "dumbed down" and then playing dumb by saying "is this really an RPG?" or "is this really needed?" some other spiel that wouldn't fool a five years old. If there wasn't a separate JRPG and console RPG section being made he would STILL be doing this there. Get lost already.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Then at least be consistent Jaesun. If all bioware games belong in the megathread, merge the 250+ page DA:Inquisistion thread into the megathread as well. Make it completely impossible to follow. Go on. No time like the present.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Split the ME4 stuff back to its own thread. Let the stupid huge Mass Effect megathread die already.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I like megathreads, sure merging those two threads might seem excessive now but when its closer to release and a bazijion threads all dealing with the latest Bioware herpaderp completely drown out everything else when they crop up all over the place I think you'll sing a different tune. Alternative it would be nice if you could make a thread folder/subdirectory so that all threads could be sorted by subject, game etc or perhaps a real tagging system so that I can easily find what's decline, what's about game design and sort out the interesting topics.

I like my forums organized and neat.
:mrfussy:

Moderators are fucking faggots with hall monitor badges. The forum will not collapse if there are two threads on the same game/topic. Your job should be to prevent spam and that's pretty much it. Two threads on a game does not spam make.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Both the merging of threads, as the splitting of threads, is fucking annoying and retarded in most cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom