Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Redlands

Arcane
Again I DON'T care if UPlay is easier or less restrictive. I CHOOSE to use STEAM DRM and am I am just fine using it. UBISoft does not currently allow me an option to purchase this game with ONLY STEAM DRM. Of which, I will continue to never purchase this game.

Calm down, dear, no need to get hysterical.

:troll:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
for me, Uplay has been no harder to install or maintain than Steam

Bro, exactly my thoughts. Gamers are just such drama queens.

"Steam is fine BUT OMFG ORIGIN/UPLAY BIG BIG SHIT I CAN'T EVEN!!!1!1"

All three systems are basically the same, there's barely any essential difference between them (talking about the app here). Maybe UPlay has a nicer design than the prehistoric Steam and Origin is less resource hoggy. That's it. The only "problem" I had with UPlay was when I wanted to give Homam VI another spin recently, the app idiotically installed the 2 year old vanilla version and then started to download 2 GB worth of updates, instead of just installing the latest patched version of the game in the first place.

Apart from that, it's the same fucking thing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but it's a real democracy out there in gaming - only shit gets elected.

What do you mean?

D:OS was successful and Blaggardz is getting a sequel, while shovelware like MMX ends on the brink of failure :martini:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well i would love to have a DRM free version on GoG heck if gog got all games i would buy everything from that place :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RPG Codex editorial staff absolutely does NOT endorse the strategy of buying MMX to support the development of further titles in the series and then downloading a cracked version without Uplay. No sirree. +M

We also do not endorse Darth Roxor. :smug:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Too bad the sales were shit

Based on general reactions by Julien, I don't think they were shit per se. More like "adequate."
I translated "adequate" according to context - Publisher/Marketing. They shelved it and did not even compile 2-3 DLCs with the tools available, so they thought it a waste of time. So yeah, while we get success stories like D:OS and Blackguards, bottom line is: real RPGs are still a no-go with publishers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Too bad the sales were shit

Based on general reactions by Julien, I don't think they were shit per se. More like "adequate."
I translated "adequate" according to context - Publisher/Marketing. They shelved it and did not even compile 2-3 DLCs with the tools available, so they thought it a waste of time. So yeah, while we get success stories like D:OS and Blackguards, bottom line is: real RPGs are still a no-go with publishers.

inb4 :whatisanrpg:

Alchemist

Arcane
The trouble is, MMX probably did well by indie standards, but the sales were barely a blip on the bean-counter's radar by Ubisoft standards. But Ubisoft itself is a barrier. If MMX had come from a resurrected NWC headed by Jon Van Caneghem things could have been quite different.

Snozgobler

Educated
I am just VERY ANGRY with Publishers who continue to force their own DRM on me, and I really would like to purchase/play this.

So you aren't angry with Valve for forcing Steam on all their games, and on any games bought on their platform? Is that just because they don't make games you want to play? Or because you decided that it's okay for Steam to work that way, but not for Uplay, Origin, Beamdog's client et al?

the app idiotically installed the 2 year old vanilla version and then started to download 2 GB worth of updates, instead of just installing the latest patched version of the game in the first place.

I agree 100%; I think it's retarded, but any game bought on Steam appears to include whichever version of Uplay it was bundled with instead of the using a system that downloads the latest version.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Hi guys.
I'm desperately looking for something to play right now.
I'm in a weird mood ATM and I can't seem to be satisfied at the prospect of any potential gaming attempt.
But I need something.

So well, I did read the Codex review (well not the entirety of it).
The described flaws of the game wouldn't be much of a problem to me, with the exception of bloated combat.
That would annoy me.
So my question is: have patches and/or mods improved the situation a bit?

Thanks for any insight :)

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Not really. Bloated combat was intrinsic to the design. The DLC was kind of rubbish, too. I did enjoy the game myself, but it was certainly imperfect.

I don't know whether any interesting mods are kicking around, however.

Azeot

Arbiter
In doubt, I suggest you just open a random MMX let's play video on youtube and see for yourself. Codex reviews are good, but sometimes an aspect of a game is more subjective than it looks.
In my experience, I very much liked combat and it didn't feel bloated, just fun and often challenging (smart position of enemies and numbers more than thousands of hp per creature).

Dorateen

Arcane
Hi guys.
I'm desperately looking for something to play right now.
I'm in a weird mood ATM and I can't seem to be satisfied at the prospect of any potential gaming attempt.
But I need something.

So well, I did read the Codex review (well not the entirety of it).
The described flaws of the game wouldn't be much of a problem to me, with the exception of bloated combat.
That would annoy me.
So my question is: have patches and/or mods improved the situation a bit?

Thanks for any insight :)

Keep in mind, there are two modes to choose to play in, Warrior and Adventurer. I think the bloated combat is reflective of the Warrior mode, where I faced enemies with hitpoints into the thousands. It drags out battles, and there is a degree more of resource management (potions) but I enjoyed it.

MMX is very much a homage to the series as a whole, and the RPG titles that came before it. Every Might & Magic fan should play this. Or if you enjoy the style of creating your party, going out into the world, sometimes wandering into areas that are above your level and have to revisit later. The world opens up once you reach Act II, so don't be put off by a slow start. It's also been compared to Wizardry 8, because the player can move and seek advantageous positioning before being locked into melee combat. This is to avoid being flanked or surrounded by groups of enemies. There are also more abilities available to the various classes, more so I think than earlier Might & Magics.

Anyway, I recommend giving it a play.

There is a lot of combat and it can drag on sometimes (it's a combat-focused series, what do you expect?), but since there are no respawns you never get in the situation where you feel like you have a 90/10 ratio of time grinding random encounters to run across the map vs. actually advancing the game. For me that makes all the difference in the world.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Started this up today but will probably restart (just wanted to get a sense of how it plays and what classes were like). Any general tips in terms of party/class composition? Not looking for any min/max stuff, just want to know if there are classes/specs/talents/whatever that are broken and should be avoided. For example, I've heard ranged combat is fairly worthless.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Ranged combat was greatly improved by a patch. You'll probably want a high damage dealer (such as a dual-wielding bladedancer), an offensive spellcaster and a support character for buffing and healing. In general, it's better if you focus on increasing the skills where the character can reach Grandmaster level. You'll probably want to avoid the mercenary since he's a master of all weapons, grandmaster of none.

In the beginning, the Light spell Celestial Armor will be your primary buff since it's good at absorbing damage. Identify is a good spell to acquire early so you don't need to pay for identifying items. Burning Determination in Fire Magic is another good spell to have in order to prevent your characters from being stunned. Characters that are stunned, paralyzed, dead or otherwise incapacitated will not receive experience from a combat.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I built a party of the worst characters in the game - including ranged back when it was worthless - and did just fine. I think everything is playable; you just pick the shit that you think would be fun to play as.

Cadmus

Arcane
Started this up today but will probably restart (just wanted to get a sense of how it plays and what classes were like). Any general tips in terms of party/class composition? Not looking for any min/max stuff, just want to know if there are classes/specs/talents/whatever that are broken and should be avoided. For example, I've heard ranged combat is fairly worthless.
Ranged is totally fine now, just remember you can't disengage if the enemy is right next to your tile, only with special knockback effects, so you probably need something melee. I recommend playing on Warrior difficulty, it gives the game some extra punch and makes the resources management more important.
The expansion totally fucks you over if you don't have the proper skills though, I can't imagine doing it if my characters didn't have all the dispels and buffs and heals.

I just watched my brother play it and if you select Adventurer, I believe it's too easy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom