Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Generations

Perkel

Arcane
I assume that by the end of this year we will get info about MH5 and target platforms.

Capcom right now i think don't have aside from MH any exclusive anymore. All of their franchises are multiplatform or went multiplatform in last few years.

Vorark

Erudite
Controls were fine. Didn't have a problem with it on the Wii, didn't have a problem with it on the WiiU, had a slight problem with it on the 3DS because of the small screen, but hunting monsters was always more cumbersome on a portable device to begin with. The real issue was that lots of weapons got shit underwater move sets.

Underwater was a good addition, felt natural. More so than mounting, imo. Besides some weapons getting their moveset shafted, as you mentioned, the only other thing I didn't like much was fighting Lagia in that tiny ass area in Flooded Forest. It was like Old Forest -- couldn't see a thing. Maybe it's better in a bigger screen, no idea.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Controls were fine. Didn't have a problem with it on the Wii, didn't have a problem with it on the WiiU, had a slight problem with it on the 3DS because of the small screen, but hunting monsters was always more cumbersome on a portable device to begin with. The real issue was that lots of weapons got shit underwater move sets.

Underwater was a good addition, felt natural. More so than mounting, imo. Besides some weapons getting their moveset shafted, as you mentioned, the only other thing I didn't like much was fighting Lagia in that tiny ass area in Flooded Forest. It was like Old Forest -- couldn't see a thing. Maybe it's better in a bigger screen, no idea.

Flooded Forest is not an issue at all on a bigger screen. On the 3DS it was an absolute nightmare.

PC MH when reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And the part about the portable series being "resurrected" for Switch, what does that even mean? MH has been portable only since 2013.

Ahem

latest

Platform(s) Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, Wii U

Monster Hunter has existed for years on every major platform, but don't expect to ever see a localization of Frontier.

kalganoat

Savant
Timing is great. Just when I'm getting bored of MHXX my 3ds got banned. Now let's wait for MH5 on switch

Perkel

Arcane
first switch gameplay. Looks like textures for at least maps are reworked and there is added detail like grass.

Improvements compared to 3ds:

- shadows. Like night and day difference. Not only they are high res but also soft shadows
- AA. Lack of any problems with aliasing
- self shadows have waaay higher resolution
- textures improved for maps

dude is fucking godly with LS.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Thinking about getting it for switch.

Is it "playable" in japanese for a non-japanese speaker(and newcomer to the series)? And would this be the best game to start on the series?

sullynathan

Arcane
Any game is the "best" game to start in MH. They aren't all good though, I would recommend waiting for World though because it looks better than the previous games.

Perkel

Arcane

Is it "playable" in japanese for a non-japanese speaker(and newcomer to the series)? And would this be the best game to start on the series?

Is it your first MH game ? Do you have any other platforms or gaming PC ?

MH Generations is i think the worst MH game to get into as new dude. It lacks completely story, there are shitload of old shitty monsters brung back due to nostalgia reasons. PS2 level graphics so it isn't pretty to look at. And monster introductions that should present new monster and pump you up to fight it are fucking terrible to point where you question why the hell you should even fight monster.

Especially lack of story for newb is the worst so quest structure without it and without time to get "comfy" with gameplay loop could hurt your fun.

Imo if you don't have any other platform then buy it. MH Gen doesn't have any story, most of dialogs are some random garbage and most of icons in game are easy to understand. There is some text you will need to know (like Fire, Water etc.) but this will be rather quick.
If you don't know what said quest require then just go to Kiranico or any other MH wiki site and you will understand everything.

If you have gaming PC or PS4 just wait for MH World. It will be miles better and it will easy you into its gameplay loop.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Is it your first MH game ? Do you have any other platforms or gaming PC ?

MH Generations is i think the worst MH game to get into as new dude. It lacks completely story, there are shitload of old shitty monsters brung back due to nostalgia reasons. PS2 level graphics so it isn't pretty to look at. And monster introductions that should present new monster and pump you up to fight it are fucking terrible to point where you question why the hell you should even fight monster.

Especially lack of story for newb is the worst so quest structure without it and without time to get "comfy" with gameplay loop could hurt your fun.

Imo if you don't have any other platform then buy it. MH Gen doesn't have any story, most of dialogs are some random garbage and most of icons in game are easy to understand. There is some text you will need to know (like Fire, Water etc.) but this will be rather quick.
If you don't know what said quest require then just go to Kiranico or any other MH wiki site and you will understand everything.

If you have gaming PC or PS4 just wait for MH World. It will be miles better and it will easy you into its gameplay loop.

I have a gaming PC.

I guess I'll wait for MH world then. Thanks bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom