Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
I've been farming for a Rathian set and just crafted the Wyvern Blade (Leaf). It applies poison.
However, I'm finding it very weak. Much weaker than the Anja crafted longsword (fire) and the Pulsar Shotei II (lightning). I suppose some monsters are weak to poison, but is it worth it compared to just straight elemental damage? Doesn't seem like it.

Depends really on style of play and monster you fight with. If you are non stop fighting then it is not that effective but if you got monster that like to fly a lot and run away then poison is great. Also it works great if you go defensive like Guard Lance.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
excalatedquickly

bought ps4 mostly for MHW to play with friend. In meantime i did P5,Nier,Bloodborne, FFXV then i got MHW and then sold ps4.
For a that playing i paid about 30$ for about half a year together + 60$ for MHW digital, i could wait for physical box but i couldn't wait one day lol.

Does the PS4 have such a stable resale value? Or do you mean the Pro which seems to have a more consistent price?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The balance of the early weapons seems way off to me. Like, the kulu 1 weapons are trivially easy to get, but out perform everything else at rarity 2, and even a lot of rarity 3 stuff. And then the fucking sworn swords or whatever the water element guild saber knockoffs were called, are insanely good compared to every other dual sword you can get up to that point. Kinda takes the fun out of hunting the big monsters when their weapons and armor suck so badly.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The balance of the early weapons seems way off to me. Like, the kulu 1 weapons are trivially easy to get, but out perform everything else at rarity 2, and even a lot of rarity 3 stuff. And then the fucking sworn swords or whatever the water element guild saber knockoffs were called, are insanely good compared to every other dual sword you can get up to that point. Kinda takes the fun out of hunting the big monsters when their weapons and armor suck so badly.

And then you get to the end of the game where 90% of the weapons best choice is Diablos something.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Game is proving pretty fun, but that final/recurring Zorah quest is awful beyond imagination. I just started playing around with the charged blade. A bit tricksy but fun when you can unload the super mega axe properly. The hammer is also hella satisfying when you land a good smash to the face and knock them down.

mogwaimon

Magister
Game is proving pretty fun, but that final/recurring Zorah quest is awful beyond imagination. I just started playing around with the charged blade. A bit tricksy but fun when you can unload the super mega axe properly. The hammer is also hella satisfying when you land a good smash to the face and knock them down.
The worst part is when you find out you need to farm Zorah Magdaros for the first tier of the Handicraft charm which is one of the core items one would need for a good build in the late game and of course you can't just farm Zorah whenever you want unless you want to play online or happen to be doing it when the repeatable event quest is up.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
The worst part is when you find out you need to farm Zorah Magdaros for the first tier of the Handicraft charm which is one of the core items one would need for a good build in the late game and of course you can't just farm Zorah whenever you want unless you want to play online or happen to be doing it when the repeatable event quest is up.

I picked up 2 Zorah gems and a pleura on the run we did earlier (was wearing parts of the Legiana set for the bonus), so that's done at least. Is it possible to do something with Nergigante while it's there? I've just been ignoring him. Maybe you can quickly break a horn and get some material or something before he buggers off.

Hyperion

Arcane
Hell men, I can't beat the black Diablos to save my life. Most I got was breaking a horn, but otherwise she's raping me and it's not tasteful. :negative:
Switch to something with a Shield, and use Guard 3 - 5 with it. Take it slow, and block all her attacks instead of depending on your reflexes.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Usually I extol the virtues of the Monster Hunter franchise, and this is still the good old Monster Hunter I remember, but there are definitely some turds floating around in the punch bowl.

I assumed from seeing and hearing The Handler in videos made following the PS4 release that I was going to hate her, and that assumption was proven absolutely correct. She's not in any way necessary to the game's story or mechanics, and could simply be deleted, thereby greatly improving both the game and my sanity.

The Zorah Magdaros "battles" manage to be boring and obnoxious at the same time, are filled with the equivalent of QuickTime events, include cliff racers to randomly stagger you while locked into some animation, and instantly become extremely repetitive. It's such Godawful design that even some normies are vocally aware of how bad it is. Making the battle difficult to access just adds insult to injury. Taking shots of steaming-hot cat piss would probably be more enjoyable than suffering through this absolute garbage.

Then there are issues almost everyone agrees on, such as performance issues (which I don't personally suffer from much), lack of granular game options, floaty mouse input, a console-centric UI and interface with way too many layers, and of course the pervasive connection issues. The latter are exacerbated by how convoluted it can be to connect with others, the inability to co-op until you've watched some gay and unnecessary cutscene, as well as the lack of robustness or flexibility in their netcode: If the host disconnects, you can either abandon and lose all your progress, or finish solo with increased difficulty and fractional reward money.

These issues aren't much different from those affecting every other AAA Japanese PC port, but CRAPCOM specifically claimed that the months-long delay would be spent perfecting the game for release on PC. Instead, it's the same shit as usual, and a little extra poop smeared on besides.

All that being said, it's overall a typical, very enjoyable MH title, and I'm definitely grateful it's on PC at all rather than stuck on a little piece of shit handheld.

deama

Prophet
Usually I extol the virtues of the Monster Hunter franchise, and this is still the good old Monster Hunter I remember, but there are definitely some turds floating around in the punch bowl.

I assumed from seeing and hearing The Handler in videos made following the PS4 release that I was going to hate her, and that assumption was proven absolutely correct. She's not in any way necessary to the game's story or mechanics, and could simply be deleted, thereby greatly improving both the game and my sanity.

The Zorah Magdaros "battles" manage to be boring and obnoxious at the same time, are filled with the equivalent of QuickTime events, include cliff racers to randomly stagger you while locked into some animation, and instantly become extremely repetitive. It's such Godawful design that even some normies are vocally aware of how bad it is. Making the battle difficult to access just adds insult to injury. Taking shots of steaming-hot cat piss would probably be more enjoyable than suffering through this absolute garbage.

Then there are issues almost everyone agrees on, such as performance issues (which I don't personally suffer from much), lack of granular game options, floaty mouse input, a console-centric UI and interface with way too many layers, and of course the pervasive connection issues. The latter are exacerbated by how convoluted it can be to connect with others, the inability to co-op until you've watched some gay and unnecessary cutscene, as well as the lack of robustness or flexibility in their netcode: If the host disconnects, you can either abandon and lose all your progress, or finish solo with increased difficulty and fractional reward money.

These issues aren't much different from those affecting every other AAA Japanese PC port, but CRAPCOM specifically claimed that the months-long delay would be spent perfecting the game for release on PC. Instead, it's the same shit as usual, and a little extra poop smeared on besides.

All that being said, it's overall a typical, very enjoyable MH title, and I'm definitely grateful it's on PC at all rather than stuck on a little piece of shit handheld.
Since you mentioned controls on the PC, I assume they're bad? Very bad? Dark souls 1 day 1 release bad or?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The Behemoth fight is such a pain in the ass with randoms. I may never get the shit I need.

Thankfully it never expires so I can get trying and failing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The PC mouse and Keyboard controls are just fine in my opinion, way better than DS1 controls and are able to be rebinded to your liking.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Capcom has revealed that the team that handled the port is a team they just recently formed comprised entirely of recent company hires.

This PC port was their very first project. So, yes, Capcom did assign months to the port... in the hands of a newb team.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Since you mentioned controls on the PC, I assume they're bad? Very bad? Dark souls 1 day 1 release bad or?

They're manageable, rather than worst-case unusable. I actually prefer them to the controller this time around, but the camera still suffers from floatiness and lag resulting from non-raw mouse input, and the keybindings and option settings must be tortured into a state of basic usability, especially in the case of ranged weapons and UI interaction.

The PC mouse and Keyboard controls are just fine in my opinion, way better than DS1 controls and are able to be rebinded to your liking.

If you're too ignorant to notice any difference between the M&K controls in MHW and the M&K controls of a competently-designed, PC-native action game, then you have no business opining on this issue.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I know it's blasphemy for you, but just get a controller for your PC ;) You can name it Sidewinder for that PC vibe.

I already have one, as implied by my previous comment that "I actually prefer [M&K controls] to the controller this time around".

The point is that Japanese developers are often incompetent at implementing M&K controls properly. Using a controller is only a workaround and doesn't change that fact in the least.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
So I'm about to play this seriously tonight (I am about 5 hours in, but have only been playing here or there). I have a 1070 and framerate is choppy in the hunting maps, although the main hub is fine. Is there a universally acknowledged fix yet? I don't want to comb through 1,000 pages of steam threads to find stuff.

I honestly don't know what Nvidia driver I have. I never download new ones, but my PC might also auto-install them. I don't pay attention.

Palikka

Arcane
So I'm about to play this seriously tonight (I am about 5 hours in, but have only been playing here or there). I have a 1070 and framerate is choppy in the hunting maps, although the main hub is fine. Is there a universally acknowledged fix yet? I don't want to comb through 1,000 pages of steam threads to find stuff.

I honestly don't know what Nvidia driver I have. I never download new ones, but my PC might also auto-install them. I don't pay attention.
Disable volumetric fog. Does nothing and kills performance.
They say the newest nvidia drivers also drops fps like 20%, revert to older ones (398.36) if needed. Kinda funny considering the newest driver is supposed to be the MHW targeted patch.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They're manageable, rather than worst-case unusable. I actually prefer them to the controller this time around, but the camera still suffers from floatiness and lag resulting from non-raw mouse input, and the keybindings and option settings must be tortured into a state of basic usability, especially in the case of ranged weapons and UI interaction.

If you're too ignorant to notice any difference between the M&K controls in MHW and the M&K controls of a competently-designed, PC-native action game, then you have no business opining on this issue.
Dark Souls on the PC was a competently designed action game native to the PC?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Disable volumetric fog. Does nothing and kills performance.
They say the newest nvidia drivers also drops fps like 20%, revert to older ones (398.36) if needed. Kinda funny considering the newest driver is supposed to be the MHW targeted patch.

I had super old drivers, so I downloaded and tried both. Strangely, the newest "game ready" drivers everyone says sucks work much better for me. 398.36 was better than what I had, but I still got slow downs.

On the newest drivers I get stable 60fps with variable volumetric fog on, but I turned it off anyway as I don't see the point of it. It just fills the map with a uniform, pea-soup, effect that makes everything look like Morrowind. Some areas on a map will have it, while others won't, but it's ugly and doesn't add anything.

The graphics still are not to my liking as there's all sorts of awful effects + horrid jaggies. I'd like to turn most fancy shit off and jack up the AA so everything is clearer. Doesn't seem that's possible yet, but the dude who basically fixed Nier's windowed mode issues did a mod for MH that supposedly fixes the problem of incorrect CPU usage on some machines. I haven't tried it, but others can if they have issues:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/3/1745594817439431537/

There's also a new mod that removes motion blur, DOF, and vignette, if anyone hates those things:

https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/5?tab=posts

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
So I finally got to play it for a few hours straight. Once I updated the NVIDIA drivers, it runs perfectly. I didn't even have any problems with the multiplayer sessions I've played (did 3 in all), although for some reason the SOS is greyed out for me, eventhough my handler keeps telling me to fire one. I still don't understand how multiplayer works (do you need to allow for more than one person when you start a quest for it to work? I don't know). Overall, I really haven't had the problems other people are claiming to. Apart from a lack of graphics options and wonky match making, the game works fine for me.

I like the game itself fine so far. I really hated the first 2 weapons I tried (dual blades and insect glaive), so I experimented with all of them and settled on the charge blade, which is my favorite so far. I do find moving around in combat to be slightly tiresome. The camera sucks too. When you lock on someone in dark souls, you are locked. But when I press lock in MG I never know if it will lock or not, which is annoying. We'll see if I get used to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom