Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More MCA Codex Trolls.... INCOMING!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Evil moustache was nice but in the end, seemed inappropriate.

:keepmymoney: :takemymoney:

:keepmyjewgold: :takemyjewgold:

And if you're going to go Jew, you have to go full Jew.

Stinger

Arcane
...I'm starting to regret making the Jewish trolls.

Anyway, I'm on break for the next week so I can do one or two more trolls if people want to request something.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I like the concept but I'm not so keen on the regular smiley replacements you've done. I'd prefer they were regular smiley size, more inline with this:
prestigious_troll.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I feel the same way about the replacement smilies. They are a good idea but the size is a bit too big. And just need a bit more tweaking.

Stinger

Arcane
Sure, I can shrink the sizes. Which ones in particular need tweaking?

Stinger

Arcane
Ok I have photoshop again so I resized and redrew bits and pieces. For convenience (I really don't want to save everything separately) I've saved it all as one image:

mUPSi.png

That is as small as I can make them without losing all the details.

Which ones do I need to fix up and what needs to be fixed.

Stinger

Arcane
So redraw them with flat pixels rather than photoshop's brush tool?

That might take a while. I'll do that tomorrow or something.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
why do you do all this

let's not be too hasty here cereal of khazad-dum, perhaps our administrator here is merely being blunt and just cut to the chase instead of leading him around like a deviantart commentator

Stinger while your funding related emoticons got implemented in record time the row of smileys you made before that didn't, I think it's the handbrushed look that doesn't work for smileys
take good old :salute: here for example

when you distill and caricaturise any message into an ideogram you need those stark flat edges and simplified shape combinations that serve as immediate visual shorthand

with that in mind I think you should just try adapting just one say the one poking his tongue out first, and make a one-fits all trollhead base for standardisation
if DU doesn't like that well hey you only just worked on one

Stinger

Arcane
Thanks heaps for the advice sgc_meltdown, it helped a lot. Would brofist if I could :brodex:

I took a few days off to get the hang of spriting since it's very different to what I was originally doing. I couldn't get the hang of simply replicating the original trolls I drew, using flat pixels looked really ugly on those guys, so I went for a very different approach, I'm not sure how good it is but it looks more like an emoticon:
DoYbp.png
eibyF.png

Or larger version:
pW9XI.png
8woni.png

Stinger

Arcane
Slightly tweaked large versions (just tweaked the tongue to look less like a pink buck tooth)

S4HNJ.png
DMOeY.png

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
dude those are right on and the full set should knock the default xenforo crap back to the curb where they belong
let's see what DU thinks

right now I'd say the chin looks a bit angular for me, but you have the direction totally down on this

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I couldn't get the hang of simply replicating the original trolls I drew
Nope, you won't. Pixelart is an entirely different ball game.

I'm not sure how good it is but it looks more like an emoticon:
DoYbp.png
eibyF.png

Or larger version:
pW9XI.png
No.

Style-wise, yes. The actual smiley itself needs work now. That looks a bit too round-faced

Also drop it down in size just a tad, somewhere between your current large and small versions.
8woni.png
:P
eibyF.png

And get rid of that extra blank space at the bottom so they line up properly.

Stinger

Arcane
Slight resize, and little narrower with the fixed chin:
6hFmu.png

Other variants that I did to change things up or look less round faced:
4svYc.png
b7I3Q.png
3ieEP.png
YfesG.png

Together they are:
6hFmu.png
4svYc.png
b7I3Q.png
3ieEP.png
YfesG.png

3ieEP.png
This guy is my personal favourite though I'm not sure if he's slightly small due to being a bit more narrower, that's why I made this guy
YfesG.png
as another possible option- same proportions just a bit larger.

There's no blank space at the bottom, unfortunately imgur just doesn't lineup properly with the emoticons, not so noticeable in larger images but unfortunately the difference is huge for smaller stuff.

Stinger

Arcane
Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that, I can put the tongue at an angle like this
ZKY3m.png
or this
4oeaA.png
but I'm not sure it's an improvement.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Stinger I think you might try referencing some of the original mca troll faces to zero in on the proportions

it pretty much has this oval leaf looking shape with the horns smaller and more parallel with the curvature of the face, check out DU's say

======> :rpgcodex:

oh god look what happened when I gave him eyes

5aabbbc1.png

I think the tongue tweak worked out though
#730706 pencil color layer over the entire tongue at 47% opacity

Stinger

Arcane
Yeah I see what you mean, by making the horns stay at the same height as the top of the troll's head it prevents it from looking like rodent ears and more like troll horns:

4oeaA.png
====>
DZlKL.png

ZKY3m.png
====>
pbLjn.png

(which angle for the tongue looks better? I personally prefer the bottom one where it tilts to the left.)

I'm...actually kinda happy with how that looks. They're only slight tweaks but they improve the look by a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom