Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My first encounter with STEAM...

Deakul

Augur
Be glad you weren't trying to use Steam 11 years ago.

But really, I have absolutely zero issues with Steam anymore except for its horrendous support service.
If you have anything wrong with anything, don't ever contact Steam support.

Unless it's for a refund, they're pretty quick about those.

Cadmus

Arcane
Be glad you weren't trying to use Steam 11 years ago.

But really, I have absolutely zero issues with Steam anymore except for its horrendous support service.
If you have anything wrong with anything, don't ever contact Steam support.

Unless it's for a refund, they're pretty quick about those.
It's a horrible thing, people being so complacent as to say they have no issues with Steam anymore as if the constant DRM and general fuckery meant nothing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's cheap. Money beats everything including DRM unless it's some horribly harmful SecuROM tier thing.

Example.

Twitch3r on GOG = R$176

Twitch3r on Steam = R$130

Cadmus

Arcane
It's cheap. Money beats everything including DRM unless it's some horribly harmful SecuROM tier thing.

Example.

Twitch3r on GOG = R$176

Twitch3r on Steam = R$130
Twitch3r on TPB = 0
but shit man, you don't get achievements

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Seriously dumb OP.

tumblr_mysmwkHllY1tn1v0to1_500.jpg

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Isnt actually Steams fault that developers only put half of the game on the discs (yes that actually happens, its cheaper to put in 1 dvd instead of 2 or 3)
or that games get released in a state where they are unplayable so that they need giant first day updates.

Steam is still pretty shitty of course but most of that shit up there ^ has exactly nothing to do with steam.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know why steam even sells boxed copies of games.

It's downright deceitful. That's how they tricked me into getting my one and only game on steam.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I believe he means publishers sell games retail that require Steam to play. Anyway, it's on the box. Perhaps not right on the front but... who buys retail in 2015?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they dont....

so why does steam allow others to sell these boxed copies?

I don't buy many games, I have most of what I want and mod what I need. I'd probably buy more games if I could get all in one boxed copies that I don't have to worry about running shit through the internet just to play.

Hell, I just bought a new gamepad from razer and it WILL NOT FUNCTION unless it is connected to the internet 24/7. What is wrong with people today. Why does everything need to be connected 24/7 just to work. If the internet goes out for some reason, why should I have to stop playing games.

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

I don't buy many games, I have most of what I want and mod what I need. I'd probably buy more games if I could get all in one boxed copies that I don't have to worry about running shit through the internet just to play.

Hell, I just bought a new gamepad from razer and it WILL NOT FUNCTION unless it is connected to the internet 24/7. What is wrong with people today. Why does everything need to be connected 24/7 just to work. If the internet goes out for some reason, why should I have to stop playing games.

- Others want to sell their shit on steam, its one of the biggest platforms for digital sales, its also good for gettting patches to the customer.

- The times of buying - installing - playing - eventuallly downloading a patch when something is wrong are mostly over.

- Since everything comes bundled with some kind of account new Gameboxes are worthless (unless special editions) ive thrown away all my dvd-cased games because they just take away space.

- People are lazy as fuck, i cant be arsed to get up in the attic to find a box in a box to maybe install an old games where finding the patches is semi impossible... i download it somewhere.

Im not saying that anything of this is good, i would have loved to give some games to friends or sell them but thats mostly impossible nowadays.

Buy stuff at gog.com whenever possible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

More allpro gains less Steam whining.

pippin

I believe it's more like a dev is giving you a Steam code provided to them by Valve.
While I don't really like Steam, the other options were awful.. not only SecuRom, but also Tages, Starforce, etc... And those dreadful installation limits. Fortunately there are a lot of DRM free stuff on Steam right now.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I seem to remember buying Wasteland 2 and getting a disc that still needed several gigabytes to download. Most of the people who are fine with this probably have decent internet. Steam is a resource hog with its only saving grace being constant sales. Simply telling someone to go torrent it or deal with it is bullshit. If you buy a CE edition you should get a disc. That disc should have a fucking game on it that you can play. The OP probably has been out of the PC loop for some time now.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
i've never made a steam account ever and i have no problems.

download it from tpb or kat.cr or elsewhere; if it's good and you want to support the authors then buy it on gog, if it's shit then don't

and if isn't available on gog then they can suck my hairy nutsack for trying to force me to install spyware

Money beats everything
1428305030447-0.png

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
More allpro gains less Steam whining.

Been working more overtime than usually lately because I'm saving up some money to move + buy new furniture and shit.

I got to the gym the past two days and might try to go again tonight. My progress has slowed down a little because I haven't been able to make the full 3 days a week to the gym. I think I can go up on weights sometime soon though. I'm on my 12 rep set and hitting a couple of the full reps. I just want to make sure I can maintain before I go up.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Been working more overtime than usually lately because I'm saving up some money to move + buy new furniture and shit.

I got to the gym the past two days and might try to go again tonight. My progress has slowed down a little because I haven't been able to make the full 3 days a week to the gym. I think I can go up on weights sometime soon though. I'm on my 12 rep set and hitting a couple of the full reps. I just want to make sure I can maintain before I go up.

#KeepLiftingKeepPosting

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
My main issue with DRM and Steam type deals is it makes it difficult for game mod's.

Mods are the best part of any game. I'm ok buying DRM games, but I prefer to actually physically own the game so modding it is easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom