Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My room mate bought a PS4

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My room mate is kind of an oddball. He hates everything digital because he's sort of bad at learning that kind of stuff. Yet he is also a huge Magic the Gathering geek, and because we live in Denmark it is hard to find opportunities to play. Therefore, he finally accepted selling our shared Magic collection and converting it into a collection on Magic Online. However, selling all that stuff gave us plenty of money beyond what we needed for MTGO. Since the bulk of the collection was bought with his money, he now had a lot of cash.

When PS2 came out, he bought it instantly, played it for a year, and never touched it again. Same with PS3. He only ever played GTA and FIFA. Now PS4 is out, he wanted one. I tried to talk him out of it, but no dice. So I started researching for him, found the cheapest place and we went there and bought it for him.

Now I know shit about shit when it comes to console. I only ever had a Nintendo 64 in my youth, and I haven't been following this generation at all, save for some critical articles and videos about the industry. Is it really true that it has next to no games?

When does it usually start to get games? And do these consoles usually get re-releases of old games? My room mate wants to play shit like Crash Bandicoot, and I've tried to teach him how to use an emulator but like I said, he's not exactly the perfect pupil. Teaching him MTGO was hard enough.

I guess in short the entire point of this thread is: will this black box now sitting in our living room ever be of any use?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Therefore, he finally accepted selling our shared Magic collection and converting it into a collection on Magic Online. However, selling all that stuff gave us plenty of money beyond what we needed for MTGO.

And I thought only people with a functional brain deserve to play MTG.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
When PS2 came out, he bought it instantly, played it for a year, and never touched it again. Same with PS3. He only ever played GTA and FIFA. Now PS4 is out, he wanted one. I tried to talk him out of it, but no dice. So I started researching for him, found the cheapest place and we went there and bought it for him.

Now I know shit about shit when it comes to console. I only ever had a Nintendo 64 in my youth, and I haven't been following this generation at all, save for some critical articles and videos about the industry. Is it really true that it has next to no games?

When does it usually start to get games? And do these consoles usually get re-releases of old games? My room mate wants to play shit like Crash Bandicoot, and I've tried to teach him how to use an emulator but like I said, he's not exactly the perfect pupil. Teaching him MTGO was hard enough.

I guess in short the entire point of this thread is: will this black box now sitting in our living room ever be of any use?
Your friend's a moron.

No joke, no exaggeration, no hyperbole, a flaming fucking moron.

Long story short: Your friend just bought a fucking triple digits paperweight, and the only way to redeem yourself now is to hogtie him like the fucking hype-chugging imbecile he is and brand "I am not a learning animal" to his forehead so that the lifeguards can know that he needs to stay in the kiddy end of the pool so that he won't drown.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this one of those "I am asking on behalf of my friend, you see..." threads? Just come clean, Grunker, we won't judge. Much.

spekkio

Arcane
Grunker said:
However, selling all that stuff gave us plenty of money beyond what we needed
gayometer2012.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your friend's a moron.

No kidding.

He's also friendly and not a bother to live with.

brand "I am not a learning animal" to his forehead

But that's the thing. He doesn't regret his purchases. He plays a bunch of sports games for a year and then never looks back.

Is this one of those "I am asking on behalf of my friend, you see..."

Buying something without making threads on four different forums about it to make sure I got what best suit my needs would hurt my autism way, waaaaay to bad.

I flinch whenever he buys a new laptop just going to some random store, which is like once per year 'cause he treats his shit so badly. Besides, the fucking box has no games. Why do people buy these things at release?

Also, he kept telling me "well at least it works unlike the pc you're always fiddling with", then first thing after he turns it on, the machine had trouble updating properly. Great success there Sony :thumbsup:

Grunker said:
However, selling all that stuff gave us plenty of money beyond what we needed
gayometer2012.gif

Grunker said:
our shared Magic collection

If I were gay, only Avellone would deserve my love.

felipepepe, you're a bona fide console maniac, aren't you? Tell me what I must do to make this new asset to our new home a useful machine.

(so far the best thing about the machine is that it provided me with new controllers for my emulators... the old one broke because of a faulty port)

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infamous Second son is coming out next week. And thats it for exlusives. Other multiplatform games worth playing like Lego Marvel Superheroes(in a nutshell its a LEGO: GTA), Assassins Creed 4, Rayman Legends, Fifa 14, Injustice Complete edition and others are available for less money on other platforms.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe, you're a bona fide console maniac, aren't you? Tell me what I must do to make this new asset to our new home a useful machine.
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends will be released on March 25. It is the ONLY thing that I recommend. Is dumb fun, has splitscreen co-op and I played more than 100 hours so far on the PS3 version with my brother. And it is a game where the power of the PS4 is actually used for more than shinny graphics. But it is a love-or-hate game.

Other than that... wait for Metal Gear V of Final Fantasy XV.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
For sometime many ps4 games will also be ps3 games, so they are basically ps3 games. You'll have to wait about a year for any major PS4 games.

Do you still have the PS3 ? I hope you played Demon's Souls. Red Dead redemption is also a good exclusive if you want a wild west gta. SMT-Persona 5 is also coming to PS3. Lastly I've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles. I'm expecting most of these will get re-releases in PS4.

Also something you and your roommate would enjoy playing together :

DraQ

Arcane
So I started researching for him, found the cheapest place and we went there and bought it for him.
(...)
Is it really true that it has next to no games?
Should've done more of that researching thing, bro.
:M

Your friend's a moron.
No kidding.

He's also friendly and not a bother to live with.
You should get a dog instead.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Becoma a gold member and get Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition for mindless zombi killing fun. Probably Resogun (side scrolling shoot-em up) is still free too. Even not get it.
Wait for April to get new free game(s). Stay way from overpriced AAA shit (probably your friend won't do that since he get PS4 now...)

Edit: Yeah, a dog was much more better choice.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Step 1: Beat the shit out of your roommate.
Step 2: Go buy Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls for the PS3.
Step 2A: If he bitches beat the shit out of him.
Step 3: Make him play one of the three games.
Step 3A: Play those games too and stop being gay for MCA
Step 4: ?????
Step 5: Profit!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
At least it wasn't an Xbone?

Is it even supported in Denmark? Because in wastelands on the east of Germania - it's not.

And good luck with looking (or even better - waiting) because - with current developing time - it will test patience.

So not only "PS3 haz no gamez" but octually both platforms.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There's no games aside from recent multiplats and some unremarkable exclusives. No backwards compatibility, so no PS2/3 games unless the publisher decides to do an enhanced port. Maybe you can try War Thunder? I heard it's pretty good. There's also a bunch of indie ports from PC, if your friend wants platformers, that's probably your best bet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is probably the weakest console generation launch ever. There is basically nothing worth playing. In ~6 months this might change, but it's a wasteland right now.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Murder him in his sleep.

Blood For The Valve God

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom