Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Natural Selection 2

Destroid

Arcane
Hot.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As a newbie, being attentive and responsive to voice chat (acknowledging a commander's suggestion to follow and repair a mech suit, for example) will go a long way toward making seasoned players welcome you and give you advice.

Multi-headed Cow

Played a bit since the patch, have yet to see a railgun exo be used (And I didn't use one myself 'cause why railgun when you can dual minigun?) and the new gorge abilities doesn't seem super game shaking. The new map is nice though, and performance does seem a bit better.

And in case anyone missed it in the Steam thread, 50% off sale is running now. Even cheaper if you can split a 4 pack.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
have they fixed the loading time already?
They claim they improved them but they're still really fucking long.

i knitted myself a sweater in the time it took to load a single map.
Without exaggerating, I often did myself a breakfast or supper and a coffee or tea during loading of a new map and when I came back it still wouldn't be loaded yet... and this is the reason why I don't play it any more. It's terrible especially on a 5400 RPM HDD.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I never found the load times to be that bad, the really terrible thing is the performance. I have a 560 Ti and a Phenom II X4 955, and even on lowish settings the game runs like absolute ass on larger servers. 20~ FPS is not acceptable in a game that is so heavily based around shooting crazy-jumping aliens.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never found the load times to be that bad, the really terrible thing is the performance. I have a 560 Ti and a Phenom II X4 955, and even on lowish settings the game runs like absolute ass on larger servers. 20~ FPS is not acceptable in a game that is so heavily based around shooting crazy-jumping aliens.
I have ATI Mobile Radeon 4650 and everything runs with ~30 FPS at worst on high settings :lol:

Destroid

Arcane
Icewater it's your cpu... NS2 is extremely demanding of single thread performance. You will get the same FPS on maxed out settings most likely. Might be worth overclocking your Phenom.

Konjad

Patron
Still, I have Core 2 Duo 2.10 GHz, two cores, which I suppose is worse, and I don't experience any slowdowns.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Even with a cutting-edge SSD, the load times were literally still long enough to trot down a flight of stairs, into the kitchen, remove a mug from the cabinet, place a tea infuser in the mug, fill the mug with hot water from the hot water dispenser to pre-warm it, dump out that water, measure two teaspoons of leaves into the infuser, fill the cup with hot water again, put the infuser's cap on, give the dog a pat and a treat, and then walk back upstairs and to my office—still well before NS2 finally gets done loading.

Every other game I have installed on my PC, if loaded consecutively, would still all be loaded before NS2 finished loading. It's unreal.

Destroid

Arcane
Still, I have Core 2 Duo 2.10 GHz, two cores, which I suppose is worse, and I don't experience any slowdowns.

I have a 2.3ghz Core 2 Duo and it runs like shit (~12-20fps)

EDIT: You get really, really long loads if they update the maps, otherwise they are just... very long.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I have a Sandy Bridge i5-2500k 3.3 GHz overclocked to 3.8 GHz, a single GeForce GTX 580, a 480 GB Corsair SSD, 8 GB of Corsair DDR3 SDRAM @1600 MHz, and a 1920 x 1080 monitor with 5 ms response time. I specifically built this machine to run almost all games on very high or ultra settings, while spending the minimum amount of cash necessary (except for the SSD, but I consider it "necessary" because of no loading times... except for SR2, that is).

SR2 runs flawlessly on max settings at 60 FPS constant regardless of map or player count. 'Course, if I were to play on a distant server I'd get severe lag issues.

Even with a cutting-edge SSD, the load times were literally still long enough to trot down a flight of stairs, into the kitchen, remove a mug from the cabinet, place a tea infuser in the mug, fill the mug with hot water from the hot water dispenser to pre-warm it, dump out that water, measure two teaspoons of leaves into the infuser, fill the cup with hot water again, put the infuser's cap on, give the dog a pat and a treat, and then walk back upstairs and to my office—still well before NS2 finally gets done loading.

Every other game I have installed on my PC, if loaded consecutively, would still all be loaded before NS2 finished loading. It's unreal.

hahaha what

that's the most first-world appliance ever

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They seem completely normal to me. There was one in my parents' house all through my childhood. It's installed in the sink or countertop and consists of a hidden reservoir supplied with pressurized water from the main, a heating element for the reservoir connected to the power supply, and a spigot of some kind. Stone-age technology.

Of course, now that magnetic induction stovetops exist, they're no longer... indispensable. :troll:

Multi-headed Cow

Can't say as I've ever seen such a thing either. I just use an electric kettle.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I've got a 2.91ghz Dual Core, Radeon HD6870 and 4GB RAM, and the only time my game took more than a minute to load was the very first match I joined. After that it was okay. Performance is also surprisingly good, especially seeing as I thought mine would suck after reading everyone on various forums complain about performance.

Ashery

Prophet
Free weekend on Steam for those, like myself, that've been debating about getting it but never pulling the trigger.

Sounds like a good time to give it a try, if I can get steam to not shit out on me every 5 minutes like it has the past couple of years.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Are you just trying to be edgy again?
15695.jpg

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Listen to him, he's an expert on all kind of shits.

Konjad

Patron
RPGCodex. A bunch of fucking tards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom