Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need New MMO, Codexian Assistance

KevinV12000

Arcane
I've just returned from a long assignment overseas back home to the United States and treated myself to a new computer for my birthday. Returning to a fast, reliable Internet connection, I began to check out old MMO favorites and some new titles, and quickly found myself face to face with the dreaded DECLINE. In summary:

MMOs I Like But Have Played To Death: Everquest 2, The Secret World

MMOs I Like But Have Died: Vanguard

MMOs I Never Really Liked: WoW, Rift, Eve

MMOs I Have Tried This Week and Found Lacking: ArcheAge, The Elder Scrolls Online

I hope to Gygax-in-the-Sky that there is some other MMO out there for me to adopt as a hobby, because, damn, it's looking pretty damn bleak out there. I'm hoping I've missed something being as out of the loop as I was for so long.

Please help a Codexer down on his luck, point me in the right direction!

Angthoron

Arcane
GW1 and/or 2, STO, Neverwinter and possibly Wildstar (last one is gud enough but it just lacked the pop to support it, maybe they merged the servers at last), looking at the threads here. Also that korean MMO, fuck if I remember what the name was, with labor points and shit.

KevinV12000

Arcane
F2P LotRO is even more shit, sorry to say.

I forgot to mention above my short re-visit to LOTRO. It was as if someone at Turbine had hired some little shit MBA to take a knife to the game with the exact purpose of removing every bit of soul it has. I couldn't get past the new tutorial. I cannot believe people seriously prefer this to what LOTRO once was.

But, to be fair, I also can't believe Furious 7 is the most popular movie in the country, which, let's face it, isn't really mine anymore anyway.

Lhynn

Arcane
Age of Wushu, it unique and should be tried, if its for you youll love it.

Mask

Literate
Are there any MMORPGS at all which still feature decent RP'ing servers, out there?
I'd be curious to hear any MMOs with a RPing scene. It's largely shit so bad it'd make the worst fanfic writer blush but I liked to entertain myself with it when I was younger and even more stupid than I am now and nostalgia's a bitch.

OP: I'd say not to bother. I can't think of a single decent MMO on the market right now.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
RP'ing with other players only works when it's on a private server with mostly people you know. That's my experience, in any case. There's too many degenerate freaks on public servers these days.

It used to be easier. I remember having very good RP-experiences in Ultima Online and Shadowbane, though that's well over 10 years ago, before the advent of SJW/LGBT/Bronies/etc. in gaming.

I had a good time RP'ing on a private NWN-server called Escape From the Underdark, though in hindsight there definitely were a few creeps there as well.

Gregz

Arcane
Another angle you might consider is the Action MMORPGs. Namely Diablo 3 and Path of Exile.

This guy did an excellent job breaking down the pros and cons of each:

http://www.requnix.com/diablo-3-vs-path-exile

Myself, I prefer Diablo 3 because you can literally turn off your brain and just kill shit for loot upgrades...which sometimes I'm in the mood for.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm gonna try ArchAge out. You know, because I fucking hate myself.

don't it's a waste of time and seriously p2w

source: I was subbed to it :negative:

Tehehee. Too easy.

Ok, I played some 20 minutes, it's not too bad. Then I've read the steam reviews, and this comment of yours. Uninstalled before I get to experience the bitter end of it. Shame. The premise was intriguing.

Soooo, next? Any F2P MMORPG which is actually ok to play?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with F2P mmo's is there are too many people on them.

Need a proper subscription to keep the masses away but still be good enough to make people want to pay for it. That's usually the first step to telling if a mmo is worth playing. Unfortunately most mmo's are free because they are shit. So this genre isn't really worth playing in the foreseeable future. Except maybe emulators I suppose.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I'm gonna try ArchAge out. You know, because I fucking hate myself.

don't it's a waste of time and seriously p2w

source: I was subbed to it :negative:

Archeage still pisses me the hell off. So many good ideas in it. Combining different skill trees to make a class that suits you best, growing and crafting your own materials, using those materials to craft your own gear, building ships and setting off to become a factionless pirate and/or doing oversea trade runs while avoiding said pirates, or just simply sailing around scavenging for sunken treasure, roaming the lands for ganks or stealing unprotected farms, doing jury duty to sentence criminals, solving hidden quests and so much more.

All that fucking potential thrown right out of the window by it being a korean grindcore p2w shitfest infested by bots.

Nael

Arcane
The Secret World is great. I recommend playing it mostly as a single player RPG though.

Nael

Arcane
The Secret World is great. I recommend playing it mostly as a single player RPG though.
Then it ain't an MMO. :troll:

I almost consider the game to be somewhat of a hybrid. The core of the game is an MMO replete with raid/group content, tiered equipment, content that requires some grinding to unlock, but a large amount of the game centers around a unifying narrative that can be experienced from start to finish entirely solo. I don't recommend doing it this way but it is 100%possible. Its just not as fun because the MMO content is a lot of fun too. It's not fun to grind the raids like a poopsocking no-life scumbag but they are worth experiencing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom