Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My biggest gameplay wish is actually something like that, it'd be nice if the dungeons had the party getting separated and needing to do some teamwork-based puzzles and bossfights.

But don't be dissing the combat, that's probably the most dope thing about Neverwinter, and it's got the distinction of having a very meaningful character system compared to many other MMOs (since the main principle is quality over quantity at each part).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It's not the combat that's bad but the enemy encounter design... that it's the same set of encounters from level ~5 to level whatever.

But MMOs gonna MMO

Vaarna_Aarne

Bingo. It'd be nice if there was dungeon content that required smarts and on-the-spot coordination rather than plain outfighting the enemy's damage and hp.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Bingo. It'd be nice if there was dungeon content that required smarts and on-the-spot coordination rather than plain outfighting the enemy's damage and hp.
I think there may be some variety of NPCs available somewhere in the game that have interesting abilities. Like freezes, knockbacks, etc. I was taking notes on what NPCs had interesting abilities, to later try my hand at some encounters in the Foundry, but I got bored before I ever got my main to level cap. I definitely do not like the enraging "berserkers" that somehow increase in defense when they enrage. Extra DPS I'm fine with, but by Tempus do I hate health bloat.

Xenich

Cipher
It's not the combat that's bad but the enemy encounter design... that it's the same set of encounters from level ~5 to level whatever.

But MMOs gonna MMO

I would say that is likely due to the limited combat options. When you only have a very small subset of skills to work from, your encounter designs become extremely limited.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

But MMOs gonna MMO

I would say that is likely due to the limited combat options. When you only have a very small subset of skills to work from, your encounter designs become extremely limited.
I agree for the most part but the Wizard is fun with the extra skill you get to use and just the overall control theme adding versatile effects to (some of) your spells rather than just doing more DEEPS like in certain other classes. The other thing is that some classes are plagued by cooldowns so that you CAN'T just do stuff in the order you want, you have to follow the optimal cooldown-dps-rotation. Goddamn, rotations are dumb. I once stopped speaking to my friend because he said that coming up with DPS rotations is tactical. What a fucking moron

Gerrard

Arcane
You mean like MD which most randoms can't complete because "stay together" is too complex of a strategy and all the squishies get killed by imps because they run all over the place.
You can add MC to that as well after they fix the Slam/Maelstorm of Chaos bug, which should be today with the PvP patch, and I don't even want to imagine doing VT with some randoms.

The reason why you can faceroll is stupid mechanics, mainly concerning the way debuffs stack, allowing you to increase your damage to ridiculous levels

I think there may be some variety of NPCs available somewhere in the game that have interesting abilities. Like freezes, knockbacks, etc. I was taking notes on what NPCs had interesting abilities, to later try my hand at some encounters in the Foundry, but I got bored before I ever got my main to level cap. I definitely do not like the enraging "berserkers" that somehow increase in defense when they enrage. Extra DPS I'm fine with, but by Tempus do I hate health bloat.
There are some enemies like that, for example the enemy adventurers who have some of the powers that player classes have.

Vaarna_Aarne

Does the Foundry have access to the enemy adventurer movesets, come to think of it?

And just PM me if you're going to go run dungeons bro, I'm rarely doing anything particularly important that requires longterm time investment.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I forgot to make the snarky reply: Welcome to Cryptic.

(Except they weren't like this in City of Heroes...)

Gerrard

Arcane
Does the Foundry have access to the enemy adventurer movesets, come to think of it?
Pretty sure I've seen them used in some foundries.

As for dungeons, if gearing up is your target then it's best to be on around 30 minutes before DD hour, so you get to boss when it starts (of course this depends on the group, once did FH in less than 15 minutes). If it's just loot to sell then the DD doesn't really matter all that much.

Vaarna_Aarne

Pretty sure I've seen them used in some foundries.

As for dungeons, if gearing up is your target then it's best to be on around 30 minutes before DD hour, so you get to boss when it starts (of course this depends on the group, once did FH in less than 15 minutes). If it's just loot to sell then the DD doesn't really matter all that much.
Nah I got so many alts churning daily Leadership that I've already got gearing down pat. No alt below 125k GS. It's more like I'd just want to go and run the dungeons.

Vaarna_Aarne

Nah, ultimately I concluded that I prefer the Archmage set and the way it reduces my cooldowns for even moar spam.

Gerrard

Arcane
Wow, they finally added a proper animation for when you get knocked back and should fall on your back.

Gerrard

Arcane
Of course Cryptic had to fuck something up, otherwise it wouldn't be a proper update.

bloodlover

Arcane
Does The Codex have a guild? I'm thinking of returning to this even though my 1st impression of the game was not that good.

edit: Also, what the fuck is this Arc thing?

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
PWE's Steamalike thing? I think you still can get the standalone version somehow, and maybe the steam version doesn't use it?

And yeah, there is a Codex guild, leave your @ username here and I, or someone else, will invite you. The guild is slightly dead though.

in other news
myH376A.png

:martini:
Drinks on me.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Herre goda muthafuckaaa. I assume you're now a proud owner of at least one new Perfect Vorpal enchant?

Also you don't actually have to use the Arc at all after installation I think, they just want you to download the installer through it. Alternatively you can use Steam and bypass Arc entirely.

eklektyk

Erudite
congrats on that sell :jelly:

and yeah last time i runed dungeon was with codex crew in what?? december?? since then not a single run ... pubs are hrrible creatures and all that :)

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea we just can't seem to get anything organised. It's not that we're dead or anything, a lot of us play once a day I think. We just can't organise a damn thing.

eklektyk

Erudite
most of our problem is in timezones i think ... i see few people sometimes when i log in to progress slave rotation on proffesions but newer a full dungeon party

others either sleep or work and viceversa :(

Gerrard

Arcane
I stopped at greater vorpal for now since I don't have enough shards. Don't want to buy them because they're overpriced.

Fun fact: it is more cost effective to sell vorpal shards and buy peridots to refine vorpal enchants instead of using the shards to refine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom