Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 1 - is it worth it?

eXalted

Arcane
Okay, I got my hands on NWN - a game that I have never played. I've never also played NWN2.

Ran NWN for half an hours when I had a little time today and I liked the graphics a lot (which surprised me because I hate "early 3D" stuff). They are just so clean and simple, it's almost adorable :D

So yeah, now on to the gameplay part - is it worth it?

I have also a lot of modules (official and fan made). I've heard that some of them are good and that the latest expansion is also fine?

I know it's biowarean crap but I liked KotoR and Mass Effect (didn't like Dragon Age), so yeah I'm ready to eat some shit here and there (in some cases everywhere) while I play.

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
skip straight to hordes of the underdark, it's the only bearable official campaign.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
So yeah, now on to the gameplay part - is it worth it?
Not really, it's D&D 3rd ed, which is fine, but it's RTwP, which isn't, plus you don't get to play a party. In the end it's just so so.

As for the campaigns, as opposed to many here I din't like HotU, it's an artificial patchwork of high level cool shit that has as about as much soul as one of them Marvel superheroes movies. It felt a lot like the "Trials of the Luremaster" expansion for Icewind Dale. I did like SoU though, this one felt more like a D&D campaign, but I know it gets little love around here.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
I like SoU too, as far as you can like abdomination like NWN. I think story is nice and playing as druid or ranger gives you few enjoyable moments. OC is shit.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The original campaign is the blandest and most boring RPG I ever played, it literally put me to sleep everytime I tried playing it. Never going to touch anything remotely like that again, I don't care how good the extensions allgedly are.

racofer

Thread Incliner
From our esteemed let's play: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...th-rogues-47-divided-we-stand-finished.63942/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02.jpg

ai.jpg
I had never seen so many soldiers before. My father had the city gates closed and his own soldiers defending its walls, but four days ago, the unthinkable happened. The city fell.
ai.jpg
My father ordered his remaining forces to retreat into the castle while the Dhorn soldiers plundered his city. Still, I felt safe. The castle had never been taken in its history of well over three hundred years. The Dhorn would never be able to storm it.
ai.jpg
Yet they did. Yesterday, they broke through the main gate, and although the price was high and the defenders managed to push them back temporarily, it was the beginning of Castle Hussein's end. I have been locked up in my room with my maid Shira ever since, praying that the gods would give my father's soldier's strength. But with every passing hour, the sounds of battle come closer and closer.
03.jpg

04.jpg

ai.jpg
*Shiver* Me neither.
shira.jpg
I've heard the stories! The Dhorn are so vile! They're going to chop off our heads! And then they are going to defile our mutilated bodies!
ai.jpg
*Pales.*
shira.jpg
Eeks!! What's that!?
05.jpg

The door to my room bursts open!

07.jpg

06.jpg

ai.jpg
Oh no...
gen.jpg
Please. We really need to hurry!
ai.jpg
But where could we go?
gen.jpg
For the moment we have to get you away from the fighting. Please, follow me, M'lady.
ai.jpg
What about my parents?
gen.jpg
The King has rallied our remaining forces in the throne room. I believe the Queen is with him.
ai.jpg
I wish to be with my parents, General.
gen.jpg
I am sorry, M'lady, but I cannot do that. The King has been very specific in his orders. I am to take you out of the castle, and we are not to return until the situation is under control.
ai.jpg
Please, General! I must!
gen.jpg
I told you, I cannot do that, Princess.
ai.jpg
Very well, Reyer... Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilahi Raji'un.
gen.jpg
Please, follow me now.

The soldiers led me out of my room, their eyes betray their fears. My heart ached at the thought of not seeing my parents again. Allah, why must you test me so?

08.jpg

09.jpg

ai.jpg
Oh no! Shira!!
gen.jpg
We are under attack!
10.jpg

The guards stood fast with the General, but they are overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the opponents.

11.jpg

The General cast a desperate glance. Run. He commanded, wordlessly. And run, I did.

12.jpg

Stumbling in fear, I dashed towards another room, only to be confronted with the smell of rotting corpses.

13.jpg

cap.jpg
Another Betancurian whore, hm?
ai.jpg
I...I am no whore!
sold.jpg
We caught a couple of guards trying to smuggle this wench out through the backdoor, Sir! We killed them all.
ai.jpg
Oh no...Reyer. *Sobs*
cap.jpg
Good...
sold.jpg
I believe that was also the last batch on this floor, Sir.
cap.jpg
Yes, they didn't last very long. A decadent people indeed. *He motions at all the corpses in the room.*
ai.jpg
Our soldiers are NOT decadent!
sold.jpg
This one seems to be a noble, Sir. *The man behind me gives me a shove, making me stumble towards the Dhorn with the helmet.*
cap.jpg
Right. Bend her over.
ai.jpg
*Blinks* What...? No..it CAN'T BE!

The Dhorn behind me grabs my arms and painfully twists them behind my back, forcing me to kneel on the floor.

15.jpg

16.jpg

ai.jpg
*I aimed for the man's knee but missed!* Damn skirts! I...I accept my fate, you barbarian! Allahu Akbar! *Closes eyes*

Suddenly, a lone figure charged forth from the open doorway behind me!

17.jpg

gen.jpg
I WILL NEVER YIELD TO YOU!
ai.jpg
Reyer!

I quickly stand up as Reyer took a swipe at the Dhorn Commander. Reyer's courage knew no bounds, but he knew he is no match at his current state, blood flowed freely from his wounds.

gen.jpg
LA HAWLA WA LA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH!

He fell to the floor as the Dhorn Commander parried his blow, and more soldier charged from the doorway. A pool of blood formed where he landed. There's not much time.

18.jpg

gen.jpg
RUN, PRINCESS!

I cannot fail him. My legs took lives of their own and sped me across the hallway.

19.jpg

I looked at the halls beyond and found no help in sight, yet I cried out for help anyway.

20.jpg

There was no reply, save for the rapidly approaching footsteps of the Dhorn soldiers.

21.jpg

I despaired as more and more soldiers emerge. None of them belonged to my father's army. This is...the end? Tears blurred my vision as the corridor grew dark. I closed my eyes and collapsed.

22.jpg

ai.jpg
Someone...please...save me...

23.jpg

24.jpg

ai.jpg
What..?

I look around, blinking. I'm on the floor, in a storage room. Muffled shouts and cries of battle still ring through the castle, but the fighting seems to ebb away slowly.Staggering, I try to get up, to no avail. Dizziness and pain fill my head. I clutch a nearby crate and only then I notice the dark figure looming over me.

vico.jpg
What a pretty little bird we have here...
ai.jpg
What...what happened?
vico.jpg
And the little bird even sings. I wonder what song you'd sing if the Dhorn chasing after you had caught you.
ai.jpg
Who are you?
vico.jpg
Doesn't matter. What matters is that the Dhorn have taken over the castle. They've killed everybody. Did you know that there was a girl called Shanna working in the kitchens? She was only sixteen years old, with big brown eyes you could drown in. She wanted me to show her the seas one day.
ai.jpg
The Dhorns...yes. We have to run before the Dhorn find us! Quick!
vico.jpg
Now Shanna will never see the ocean. But at least King Hussein shared her fate.
ai.jpg
The king is dead?
vico.jpg
He refused to hand over the castle even after the city had fallen. It was a death sentence for everyone, including himself.

No..father would never wished death on his own people...he was...he was...

ai.jpg
*Cries.*
vico.jpg
So tell me, does the little bird have a name?
ai.jpg
I'm Princess Aisha Hussein of Betancuria.

He studies me for a while. I cannot say what's he thinking.

vico.jpg
So it's a dark day for both of us, little bird. You're the only one left alive. You, and a few mice perhaps.
ai.jpg
*Shivers*

He's right. There won't be anyone else protecting me from now on. With father dead, Reyer too...I wondered what this man's motivation in saving my life. Suddenly, I realized his gaze had wandered over my body.

ai.jpg
Please don't look at me like that.
vico.jpg
You're pretty. Not as pretty as Shanna, but pretty enough.
ai.jpg
I..I'm sorry for what happened to your Shanna.
vico.jpg
Yes, me too. Take off your dress.
ai.jpg
WHAT?
25.jpg

26.jpg

ai.jpg
Ma Sha' Allah...why...is this happening to me?*cries*

Hegel

Arcane
Wait, tasteful rape in a Bioware game? When did that happen.

eXalted

Arcane
Oh, Dance with Rogues module. I played that also a little.

I have the feeling that it too is better than the original game?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
OC is terrible, SOU is pretty good and HOTU is good, despite excessively high level loot everywhere.

Best things about NWN are the toolset and the fan-made modules.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Well, as many have noted there are several very good fan made models, and the expansions are indeed much better than the bland and fed-ex infested OC. HotU is the better expansion, but if you get kicks out of a "desert&nomads" type of setting you MIGHT enjoy the SoU expansion as well. And, since you have already acquired the game anyway...

eXalted

Arcane
Well, as many have noted there are several very good fan made models, and the expansions are indeed much better than the bland and fed-ex infested OC. HotU is the better expansion, but if you get kicks out of a "desert&nomads" type of setting you MIGHT enjoy the SoU expansion as well. And, since you have already acquired the game anyway...
Are the OC and expansions connected? Will I miss something important from the plot?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The OC is crap, SoU is boring, and HotU is good for what it is. There are several fanmade modules worth playing, though. ADWR is surprisingly great for being one woman's masturbation fantasy and The Aielund Saga is pretty great.

Are the OC and expansions connected? Will I miss something important from the plot?
HotU has you playing the same character as in SoU, but the plots aren't related at all. You're basically not missing anything if you skip SoU. And the OC isn't connected to either.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I remember a fan module that was a remake of Bard's Tale. It had some issues iirc, but sticks out in my memory more than the OC or expansions.

Tabs

Novice
The OC didn't leave a lasting impression on me, for good or bad. SoU much the same. HotU had a really interested set-up but I never finished it.

If you want to play a char from lvl 1 start with the OC, otherwise jump right in to the expansions.

I also will join in recommending the Aielund Saga.

eXalted

Arcane
Okay, decided do give NWN OC a go.

My henchmen started walking veeery slow. Disabling and enabling Search mode doesn't seem to work...

Is this a bug or the game doesn't want to be played?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Must be a bug. The henchman should be moving as fast as you (barring monk or speed bonuses obviously). Was he poisoned or otherwise weakened?

eXalted

Arcane
Yeah I know. At least I'm playing it parallel with Dance with Rogues, and that one is tons of fun.
Must be a bug. The henchman should be moving as fast as you (barring monk or speed bonuses obviously). Was he poisoned or otherwise weakened?
He was walking fast and after a battle, he decided to start walking like a boss.
How I can see if he has some statuses or stuff? Man, I feel like a noob.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If it is the OC you can't check his equipment. But IIRC right click on his protrait (or go into your wheel) to check on his character sheet.

eXalted

Arcane
If it is the OC you can't check his equipment. But IIRC right click on his protrait (or go into your wheel) to check on his character sheet.
Oh, he had Movement Speed decrease for some reason.

Healed him...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
What were you fighting at the time? Any traps set off?

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you have like absolutely nothing to do might play OC to at least understand who are the characters from expansions.
But it's user mods which is the meat and sole purpose to keep NWN/NWN2 on your hard drive forever.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom