Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinters Nights vs Dragon Age

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NWN gave gamers tons and tons of mods, some of them really good, SoU and HotU are at least decent, still lacking in many regards, yet at least decent. OC is just terrible and it's, I think, worst piece of D&D video gaming ever made. DA:O just cannot compete with NWN in many regards, chiefly its modding capabilities, this battle is very one-sided. First Dragon Age made some things much better than NWN did however – companions are miles better just because DA:O has Sten and dog. Let’s be clear, NWN’s henchmen are abysmal, and it took much effort to make them passable in expansions. Setting of DA:O is also pretty entertaining, sadly later games made it retarded. So, yeah, NWN wins this.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't think you realize how much of a lecturing idiot you sound like.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Only one answer.

u6vO7z4.jpg

hell bovine

Arcane
And you sit here being retarded since 2003.

So what? HotU has the better story (and the better villain, for what little you interact). I honestly don't even remember anymore why and what for you fight the evil snake lady at the end of SoU.
HotU has better villains, that's true, but for story as a whole I much prefer more contained, local and somewhat slow style that SoU has. High-level D&D flicks don't do it for me, unless they are made exceptionally well, and I've heard of nothing like that. HotU’s story comes to its own only in the last act, while SoU is pretty much consistent, that’s also a big pro. SoU also has much better companions, and I don’t mean Deekin, because he’s a recurring one – Xanos and Dorna are much more interesting than Tiefling-Drizzt and Generic-Drow-Lady, and I never liked Aribeth all that much.
Just because a story is slow & consistent doesn't make it interesting or memorable. As for companions, the only one I liked was Deekin, but frankly, HotU wins here, simply because it offers a truly evil solution to the "annoying henchman" problem ( Xanos & Nathyrra could hold a contest for that title due to the shitty NWN spellcaster AI).

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Nwn is more high fantasy and has a typical dnd storyline about a crystal share. Dragon Age is more mature. Dragon Age origins was so good Lord of The Rings was influenced by its story.

J1M

Arcane
Origins was certainly better than NWN. Both were real-time pause garbage but at least Origins had a 4 member party and more interesting combat (played it once on hard difficulty, your enjoyment may have featured a consequence based on a choice before the game started).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nwn is more high fantasy and has a typical dnd storyline about a crystal share. Dragon Age is more mature. Dragon Age origins was so good Lord of The Rings was influenced by its story.
Who alt this is?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I spent good 5 years of continuous, almost everyday NWN gameplay... way more then any other game I had contact with.
The DnD 3.0/3.5 systems are superb. So is the toolset.

I spent maybe a month on DA:O and considered it very meh. Never seen such a cliche story before. The mechanics were full of redundant skills (look at the sword & board tree) and very unbalanced.

So yeah, its NWN for me. No contest.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I spent good 5 years of continuous, almost everyday NWN gameplay... way more then any other game I had contact with.
The DnD 3.0/3.5 systems are superb. So is the toolset.

I spent maybe a month on DA:O and considered it very meh. Never seen such a cliche story before. The mechanics were full of redundant skills (look at the sword & board tree) and very unbalanced.

So yeah, its NWN for me. No contest.

Hey Haplo I read your books!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoever says DA:O is better should be immediately banned and sent to RPGWatch. NWN is not only the OC, which, like someone said, is a demonstration of the modding tools.

bminorkey

I liked DA:O better than NWN's first campaign. Never played the others.

DAO is the better game simply because NWN is only what you make of it, and you can't just ignore how shit the OC is. But DAO introduced/expanded on some of the worst aspects of modern Bioware so it's the one that should've been wiped from collective memory.

i thought nwn was crap, dull, boring and repetitive.
then i met the derp roads.

now, seriously: nwn is filler. just filler. only filler with a filler plot made of filler filler.
dao has some horribly terrible lows (derp roads, the whatsitsname magical plane with transformations) but also something i appreciated (like the whole siege story arc).
nwn has nothing i liked.
dao wins.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone seems to be forgetting that NWN got 2 expansions with a not as awful campaign...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom